OT: Blue-ray on component cables

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Head Hunter, Jan 24, 2009.

  1. Head Hunter

    Head Hunter Guest

    Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead of
    HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component video
    inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. I have heard that,
    when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would down-convert a
    blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a compliant HDMI
    connection.

    However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray spec,
    no one has actually implemented it. But, if you try to go through a
    converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
    give a black screen, which would cause the same end result. Now, component
    will go up to 1080p, so, assuming the down-convert doesn't happen, I should
    be able to get full, higher resolution. I am thinking about getting a
    blue-ray player, but don't want to if my TV won't show it properly. I am
    even thinking about going to a Rent-a-center and getting a PS3 for a weekend
    to see how it does.

    Has anyone tried this? If so, how well does it work?

    Also, on a side note, will a blue-ray player actually tell you what
    resolution it is outputting at? My TV (a Sony 36" WEGA) will show what
    input it is set to (video 1, video 2, etc), and my COX HD-DVR receiver shows
    what resolution it is receiving at, but I can't tell what my TV is actually
    displaying at. I am running through an HDMI-DVI converter cable, with
    separate audio cables (HDMI cable passes audio, DVI does not) and sometimes
    the DVR thinks I am trying to copy the video and says it is disabling the
    HD, but the picture still shows widescreen, and clear, and the DVR still
    shows HD signal, so I don't know if it is kidding or not.

    Anyway, thanks for any assistance.
    Head Hunter, Jan 24, 2009

  2. On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:07:07 GMT, "Head Hunter" <>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead of
    >HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component video
    >inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. I have heard that,
    >when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would down-convert a
    >blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a compliant HDMI
    >connection.
    >
    >However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray spec,
    >no one has actually implemented it. But, if you try to go through a
    >converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
    >give a black screen, which would cause the same end result. Now, component
    >will go up to 1080p, so, assuming the down-convert doesn't happen, I should
    >be able to get full, higher resolution. I am thinking about getting a
    >blue-ray player, but don't want to if my TV won't show it properly. I am
    >even thinking about going to a Rent-a-center and getting a PS3 for a weekend
    >to see how it does.
    >
    >Has anyone tried this? If so, how well does it work?
    >
    >Also, on a side note, will a blue-ray player actually tell you what
    >resolution it is outputting at? My TV (a Sony 36" WEGA) will show what
    >input it is set to (video 1, video 2, etc), and my COX HD-DVR receiver shows
    >what resolution it is receiving at, but I can't tell what my TV is actually
    >displaying at. I am running through an HDMI-DVI converter cable, with
    >separate audio cables (HDMI cable passes audio, DVI does not) and sometimes
    >the DVR thinks I am trying to copy the video and says it is disabling the
    >HD, but the picture still shows widescreen, and clear, and the DVR still
    >shows HD signal, so I don't know if it is kidding or not.
    >
    >Anyway, thanks for any assistance.

    The PS3 will put out to the component out, but will be at 480p.

    I have an old Toshiba glass CRT combo display that only has component
    in (or less), that I haven't tried yet.

    Essentially, if it is not HDCP compliant, it will get resolution
    handcuffed.

    However, my Toshiba 46" runs both BD and HD DVD titles via the computer,
    and is only able to do that because the software, my graphics card (DVI
    only), and my display are all HDCP compliant. So I pump it via the HDMI
    in with a DVI to HDMI cable. I have used a DVI to HDMI converter
    connector as well on a regular DVI to DVI cable.

    My Xbox (1st gen) pumped my HDTV at 720p via component hooks. Need to
    try the PS3 to see what it does. I may get 720p out of the component
    cables, but it will dress back to 480p on Blu Ray DVD playback. I'd
    almost bet.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 24, 2009

  3. Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    "Head Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead
    > of HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component
    > video inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI. I have
    > heard that, when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would
    > down-convert a blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a
    > compliant HDMI connection.
    >
    > However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray
    > spec, no one has actually implemented it. But, if you try to go through a
    > converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
    > give a black screen,

    no converter needed - just a cable thats HDMI at one end and DVI at the
    other - plus a set of audio cables.

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....
    The dog from that film you saw, Jan 24, 2009
  4. Head Hunter

    anthony Guest

    Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    On Jan 25, 8:13 am, "The dog from that film you saw"
    <> wrote:
    > "Head Hunter" <> wrote in message

    > > Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead
    > > of HDMI?  My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component
    > > video inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI.  I have
    > > heard that, when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would
    > > down-convert a blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a
    > > compliant HDMI connection.

    > > However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray
    > > spec, no one has actually implemented it.  But, if you try to go through a
    > > converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
    > > give a black screen,

    > no converter needed - just a cable thats HDMI at one end and DVI at the
    > other - plus a set of audio cables.
    >
    > --
    > Gareth.
    >
    > that fly...... is your magic wand....

    That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
    same thing minus the audio segment.
    anthony, Jan 25, 2009
  5. Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 01:48:49 -0800 (PST), anthony
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 25, 8:13 am, "The dog from that film you saw"
    ><> wrote:
    >> "Head Hunter" <> wrote in message

    >> > Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead
    >> > of HDMI?  My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component
    >> > video inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI.  I have
    >> > heard that, when blue-ray first came out, SONY made it so it could/would
    >> > down-convert a blue-ray DVD to std DVD resolution if it didn't have a
    >> > compliant HDMI connection.

    >> > However, I have also heard that, while that is allowed in the blue-ray
    >> > spec, no one has actually implemented it.  But, if you try to go through a
    >> > converter from HDMI to DVI, you can get "handshaking" problems that could
    >> > give a black screen,

    >> no converter needed - just a cable thats HDMI at one end and DVI at the
    >> other - plus a set of audio cables.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gareth.
    >>
    >> that fly...... is your magic wand....

    > That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
    >same thing minus the audio segment.

    If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
    it. Regardless of the cabling used.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 25, 2009
  6. On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:41:52 -0800, Kuskokwim <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:07:07 GMT, Head Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone out there hooked up a blue-ray player using component instead of
    >> HDMI? My TV is HD, but is older, and has several sets on component video
    >> inputs, and one DVI input (like PCs have), but not HDMI.

    snipped stupid links

    Lame
    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 25, 2009
  7. Head Hunter

    Head Hunter Guest

    Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    >> That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
    >>same thing minus the audio segment.

    > If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
    > it. Regardless of the cabling used.

    Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
    have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
    downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
    maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
    you it is doing it?
    Head Hunter, Jan 26, 2009
  8. Head Hunter

    Head Hunter Guest

    "Archimedes' Lever" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >>Anyway, thanks for any assistance.
    >>

    > The PS3 will put out to the component out, but will be at 480p.
    >
    > I have an old Toshiba glass CRT combo display that only has component
    > in (or less), that I haven't tried yet.
    >
    > Essentially, if it is not HDCP compliant, it will get resolution
    > handcuffed.
    >
    > However, my Toshiba 46" runs both BD and HD DVD titles via the computer,
    > and is only able to do that because the software, my graphics card (DVI
    > only), and my display are all HDCP compliant. So I pump it via the HDMI
    > in with a DVI to HDMI cable. I have used a DVI to HDMI converter
    > connector as well on a regular DVI to DVI cable.
    >
    > My Xbox (1st gen) pumped my HDTV at 720p via component hooks. Need to
    > try the PS3 to see what it does. I may get 720p out of the component
    > cables, but it will dress back to 480p on Blu Ray DVD playback. I'd

    You are probably right. Although, I have a PC with a graphics cards that
    says it is fully HDCP compliant. I tried hooking it up to my Sony once via
    DVI. It was interesting. The PC saw the Sony, but I guess the PCs
    widescreen wasn't tha same as the TV, because the TV seemed to zoom the
    picture to full screen, then cuts off top and bottom with black bars for DVI
    widescreen. No matter what resolution I set the PC to, it always got the
    top and bottom cut off. If I set to a std resolution for 4:3 like 640x480,
    I lost top and bottom. If I set to a wide screen, I would still lose top
    and bottom, but not as much, but enough so I couldn't see the START button
    or my taskbar.
    Head Hunter, Jan 26, 2009
  9. Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    >>> That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
    >>>same thing minus the audio segment.

    >> If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
    >> it. Regardless of the cabling used.

    > Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
    > have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
    > downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
    > maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
    > you it is doing it?

    my sharp tv with dvi input only is HDMI compliant - if you already have the
    cable why not try?

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....
    The dog from that film you saw, Jan 26, 2009
  10. Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:18:41 GMT, "Head Hunter" <>
    wrote:

    >>> That's right. Just google for an HDMI to DVI lead. It's basically the
    >>>same thing minus the audio segment.

    >> If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
    >> it. Regardless of the cabling used.

    >Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
    >have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
    >downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
    >maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
    >you it is doing it?

    Yes, both BD and HD DVD require HDCP compliance for full resolution
    output.

    Your display should tell you what resolution is being fed to it.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 27, 2009
  11. On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:25:41 GMT, "Head Hunter" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >> try the PS3 to see what it does. I may get 720p out of the component
    >> cables, but it will dress back to 480p on Blu Ray DVD playback. I'd
    >> almost bet.

    >You are probably right. Although, I have a PC with a graphics cards that
    >says it is fully HDCP compliant. I tried hooking it up to my Sony once via
    >DVI. It was interesting. The PC saw the Sony, but I guess the PCs
    >widescreen wasn't tha same as the TV, because the TV seemed to zoom the
    >picture to full screen, then cuts off top and bottom with black bars for DVI
    >widescreen. No matter what resolution I set the PC to, it always got the
    >top and bottom cut off. If I set to a std resolution for 4:3 like 640x480,
    >I lost top and bottom. If I set to a wide screen, I would still lose top
    >and bottom, but not as much, but enough so I couldn't see the START button

    Sounds like you have your display set to zoom.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 27, 2009
  12. Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:13:42 -0000, "The dog from that film you saw"
    <> wrote:

    >"Head Hunter" <> wrote in message

    >>> If his display is not HDCP compliant, the PS3 will only feed 480p to
    >>> it. Regardless of the cabling used.

    >> Since the TV only has the DVI, I doubt it is HDCP compliant. Bummer. I
    >> have the HDMI to DVI cable already. OK, the concensus is, the PS3 will
    >> downshift. Will a standalone Blue-Ray player also? Or is it a matter of,
    >> maybe yes, maybe no, try it see? And, if it does downshift, will it tell
    >> you it is doing it?
    >>

    >my sharp tv with dvi input only is HDMI compliant - if you already have the
    >cable why not try?

    No, it is not. It MIGHT be and likely is HDCP compliant.

    It cannot possibly be HDMI compliant without actually having an HDMI
    connector. Think about it.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 27, 2009
  13. Re: Blue-ray on component cables

    >>my sharp tv with dvi input only is HDMI compliant - if you already have
    >>the
    >>cable why not try?

    > No, it is not. It MIGHT be and likely is HDCP compliant.
    >
    > It cannot possibly be HDMI compliant without actually having an HDMI
    > connector. Think about it.

    indeed.
    it's HDCP compliant - that's what happens when you try typing coherent
    messages at 7am.

    --
    Gareth.

    that fly...... is your magic wand....
    The dog from that film you saw, Jan 27, 2009