    Can anyone confirm how it is implemented?

    Thanks,

    RL

    RL, Dec 9, 2007

  2. On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 06:44:16 +1300, RL <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Does anyone know how Blu-Ray region coding is implemented, particularly
    >on a PC-based Blu-Ray drive?

    A blu ray drive has region coding for the Standard DVD part of the
    drive.

    >In particular, is this hardware enforced, or software based?

    It has always been in the firmware ON the drive. That is regardless of
    the fact that SOFTWARE is what is usually used to set it.

    >Early DVD drives (before 2000 IIRC) had no hardware region coding,

    You likely do not RC.

    > but I
    >expect this is probably standard on Blu-Ray.

    Do you even hear yourself when you say stupid shit?

    > Looking at drive
    >manufacturer sites, I am unable to see any reference to region coding.
    >Can anyone confirm how it is implemented?

    Are you sure that it is even used by the new formats at all? If a
    drive has region coding, it is for the Std DVD portion of the drive.

    Right now, blu ray has the capacity to region code their releases, but
    they currently have not made any titles that are.

    Do you even know how to use google? **** the "manufacturer sites". Do
    a simple search, boy.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=blu ray region coded?&btnG=Google Search

    yields 536,000 hits.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 9, 2007

  3. RL

    Bill's News Guest

    Re: Blu-Ray Region Coding

    "RL" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know how Blu-Ray region coding is implemented,
    > particularly on a PC-based Blu-Ray drive?
    >
    > In particular, is this hardware enforced, or software based?
    >
    > Early DVD drives (before 2000 IIRC) had no hardware region
    > coding, but I expect this is probably standard on Blu-Ray.
    > Looking at drive manufacturer sites, I am unable to see any
    > reference to region coding. Can anyone confirm how it is
    > implemented?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > RL

    I've got an LG BR/HD player under WinXPHE-SP2 using PowerDVD,
    delivered with the drive, as the player. The LG wants to check
    for firmware updates and PowerDVD is in strict compliance with
    the player spec - what a PITA, VLC was much friendlier;-)

    As I'm only renting media from NetFlix, I've not had the
    question of BR region coding arise. However, what reading I've
    done suggests that BR is region coded while HD-DVD is not.

    AnyDVD and DVDFab claim to handle BR/HD. They both say they
    remove BR region coding, among other restrictions. I'd guess
    that the software/firmware region enforcement strategies are
    otherwise similar to DVD drives.

    Bill's News, Dec 9, 2007
  4. RL

    RL Guest

    Well, you quite clearly have some serious emotional and literacy issues
    to work on.

    One - Your Google search, like your post, does not answer the question
    regarding the implementation of region coding. Yes, region coding
    exists, I already knew that, idiot.

    Two - Region coding IS used on Blu-Ray titles. A simple search using
    that 'Google' service you regard so highly, will provide you with an
    extensive list of titles that ARE region coded.

    Three - Early DVD drives DID NOT have region coding, this is a FACT. My
    'IIRC' related to the year only.

    Four - My 'shit' is not 'stupid' just because you don't understand the
    question. If you weren't such a condescending smart-arse, I wouldn't be
    ensuring to quote your full message below, so that anyone accessing this
    thread in the future can laugh at your stupidity.

    The question was a simple one. Is the region code in the firmware as it
    was with later DVD drives, or software? No Google search I've done has
    bene able to answer that particular question.

    RL

    RL, Dec 10, 2007
  5. RL

    RL Guest

    Re: Blu-Ray Region Coding

    Bill's News wrote:
    > I've got an LG BR/HD player under WinXPHE-SP2 using PowerDVD,
    > delivered with the drive, as the player. The LG wants to check
    > for firmware updates and PowerDVD is in strict compliance with
    > the player spec - what a PITA, VLC was much friendlier;-)
    >
    > As I'm only renting media from NetFlix, I've not had the
    > question of BR region coding arise. However, what reading I've
    > done suggests that BR is region coded while HD-DVD is not.
    >
    > AnyDVD and DVDFab claim to handle BR/HD. They both say they
    > remove BR region coding, among other restrictions. I'd guess
    > that the software/firmware region enforcement strategies are
    > otherwise similar to DVD drives.

    Thanks Bill for a sane reply.

    HD-DVD apparently does support region codes, as there has been some
    discussion of using them. My concern with buying a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive
    is that they possibly can be locked to a region, like a modern DVD
    drive. If this is enforced by the firmware, then it wouldn't be possible
    for AnyDVD and other products to rip the data in order to remove the
    region coding without updated firmware (which may never exist for the
    drive I buy).

    I'm hoping it is all software-based, and that there will be no problem
    using disks from other regions. I'm just trying to confirm this before I
    rush out and buy a drive, only to find that I buy some region coded
    movies in the near future (they are already appearing), and end up with
    a drive locked so I can only play one.

    Thanks,

    RL

    RL, Dec 10, 2007
  6. On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:49:41 +1300, RL <> wrote:

    >Well, you quite clearly have some serious emotional and literacy issues
    >to work on.

    You're an emotional retard, and an illiterate fuckhead as well. So I
    think that I will take your unsolicited, unqualified, unprofessional, E-1
    grade retard assessment with a grain of salt.

    >One - Your Google search, like your post, does not answer the question
    >regarding the implementation of region coding. Yes, region coding
    >exists, I already knew that, idiot.

    Yes, it does answer it, idiot. It only requires that you get off your
    lazy ass and look through some of the links google came up with.

    >Two - Region coding IS used on Blu-Ray titles.

    No. It CAN be. Many are not.

    > A simple search using
    >that 'Google' service you regard so highly, will provide you with an
    >extensive list of titles that ARE region coded.

    Oh boy... I jumped the gun because I read a Sony press release and
    didn't look at the date. Big whoop.

    >Three - Early DVD drives DID NOT have region coding, this is a FACT. My
    >'IIRC' related to the year only.

    DVD players came out BEFORE DVD drives did, and the players were region
    coded. Then, PC drives were as well, and then the shithouse Chinese
    shops started flooding the ports with CRAP non-compliant readers. That
    must have been about the time idiots like you came along.

    >Four - My 'shit' is not 'stupid' just because you don't understand the
    >question.

    I do understand the question. You are the idiot that thinks that some
    region coded drives were done in software. Software controlled the
    drive's setting, but the drive had hard wired region coding , and that
    coding only got manipulated by software. It had to be stored in flash or
    NVRAM, dumbfuck.

    If you weren't such a retarded, likely pirate ****...

    > I wouldn't be
    >ensuring to quote your full message below, so that anyone accessing this
    >thread in the future can laugh at your stupidity.

    You're an idiot, and now, you're a Usenet retard as well.
    Congratulations, you top posting Usenet retard.

    >The question was a simple one. Is the region code in the firmware as it
    >was with later DVD drives, or software?

    And the answer was simple too, dipshit. They were ALL done in
    firmware. Otherwise, the drive would have no way of retaining the
    setting, you retarded ****.

    > No Google search I've done has
    >bene able to answer that particular question.

    You are a google retard, as well as being a techno-twit. Typical
    pirate ****.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 10, 2007
  7. Re: Blu-Ray Region Coding

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:58:46 +1300, RL <> wrote:

    >Bill's News wrote:
    >> I've got an LG BR/HD player under WinXPHE-SP2 using PowerDVD,
    >> delivered with the drive, as the player. The LG wants to check
    >> for firmware updates and PowerDVD is in strict compliance with
    >> the player spec - what a PITA, VLC was much friendlier;-)
    >>
    >> As I'm only renting media from NetFlix, I've not had the
    >> question of BR region coding arise. However, what reading I've
    >> done suggests that BR is region coded while HD-DVD is not.
    >>
    >> AnyDVD and DVDFab claim to handle BR/HD. They both say they
    >> remove BR region coding, among other restrictions. I'd guess
    >> that the software/firmware region enforcement strategies are
    >> otherwise similar to DVD drives.

    >Thanks Bill for a sane reply.
    >
    >HD-DVD apparently does support region codes, as there has been some
    >discussion of using them. My concern with buying a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive
    >is that they possibly can be locked to a region, like a modern DVD
    >drive. If this is enforced by the firmware, then it wouldn't be possible
    >for AnyDVD and other products to rip the data in order to remove the
    >region coding without updated firmware (which may never exist for the
    >drive I buy).
    >
    >I'm hoping it is all software-based, and that there will be no problem
    >using disks from other regions. I'm just trying to confirm this before I
    >rush out and buy a drive, only to find that I buy some region coded
    >movies in the near future (they are already appearing), and end up with
    >a drive locked so I can only play one.

    Pussy!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 10, 2007
  8. RL

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    In <fji9g1$sbv$> RL <> writes:

    >Well, you quite clearly have some serious emotional and literacy issues
    >to work on.

    Hey RL, please do yourself and anyone else that reads this group a big favour
    and killfile this asshole.

    Once killfiled, the only way you will see his drivel is when someone replies
    to his posts. This really doesn't happen too often as most folk ignore his
    childish rants.

    BlueBuyYoo, Dec 10, 2007

    You're a fucking retard. Show me one rant, you retarded ****.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Dec 10, 2007
  10. RL

    Bill's News Guest

    Re: Blu-Ray Region Coding

    "RL" <> wrote in message
    > Bill's News wrote:
    >> I've got an LG BR/HD player under WinXPHE-SP2 using PowerDVD,
    >> delivered with the drive, as the player. The LG wants to
    >> check for firmware updates and PowerDVD is in strict
    >> compliance with the player spec - what a PITA, VLC was much
    >> friendlier;-)
    >>
    >> As I'm only renting media from NetFlix, I've not had the
    >> question of BR region coding arise. However, what reading
    >> I've done suggests that BR is region coded while HD-DVD is
    >> not.
    >>
    >> AnyDVD and DVDFab claim to handle BR/HD. They both say they
    >> remove BR region coding, among other restrictions. I'd guess
    >> that the software/firmware region enforcement strategies are
    >> otherwise similar to DVD drives.

    > Thanks Bill for a sane reply.
    >
    > HD-DVD apparently does support region codes, as there has been
    > some discussion of using them. My concern with buying a
    > Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive is that they possibly can be locked to a
    > region, like a modern DVD drive. If this is enforced by the
    > firmware, then it wouldn't be possible for AnyDVD and other
    > products to rip the data in order to remove the region coding
    > without updated firmware (which may never exist for the drive
    > I buy).

    Since it is possible for at least two currently available
    programs to override currently implemented region logic, then it
    must be implemented in software. Were it to become firmware
    implemented, undoubtedly requiring the larger volatile memory of
    future specs, it would probably not be long before other
    programs would appear to "update" the firmware. So far, the
    industry has been quite good about observing backward
    compatibility, yet they could change heart. However, region
    coding cracks would seem to me a minor issue when compared with
    copy protection cracks. How many billions of dollars will they
    continue to throw at these issues? Is it any wonder that among
    the richest men in the world are more programmers than studio
    executives?

    > I'm hoping it is all software-based, and that there will be no
    > problem using disks from other regions. I'm just trying to
    > confirm this before I rush out and buy a drive, only to find
    > that I buy some region coded movies in the near future (they
    > are already appearing), and end up with a drive locked so I
    > can only play one.

    Here's a MUCH more annoying issue with BR/HD player software
    (namely, PowerDVD). Whenever I use that player to play captured
    HDTV, the player suggests that I should turn off it's DD7.1
    support. If I do not, the player does indeed act poorly or
    crash. If I do, then the player blithely removes the NVIDIA
    audio drivers used by my HDTV capture device, requiring me to
    reinstall, from the beginning, the capture software and updates.

    This causes me to use either MPC or VLC, as I did before, to
    play HDTV. Which in turn leads me to compare the image
    quality - in those cases - to PowerDVD. The two free programs
    win hands down. Up until now I was giving all the stars to my
    ATI x1300 graphics card and ATI's drivers for it. Now, it seems
    that MPC & VLC produce superior video quality to PowerDVD - and
    without audio issues. I can only hope that they will some day
    add BR/HD player capability.

    Bill's News, Dec 10, 2007
  11. Re: Blu-Ray Region Coding

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:43:32 -0800, "Bill's News" <>
    wrote:

    > Is it any wonder that among
    >the richest men in the world are more programmers than studio
    >executives?

    Bullshit.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 11, 2007
  12. Re: Blu-Ray Region Coding

    wrote:

    >Here's a MUCH more annoying issue with BR/HD player software
    >(namely, PowerDVD). Whenever I use that player to play captured
    >HDTV, the player suggests that I should turn off it's DD7.1
    >support. If I do not, the player does indeed act poorly or
    >crash. If I do, then the player blithely removes the NVIDIA
    >audio drivers used by my HDTV capture device, requiring me to
    >reinstall, from the beginning, the capture software and updates.
    >
    >This causes me to use either MPC or VLC, as I did before, to
    >play HDTV. Which in turn leads me to compare the image
    >quality - in those cases - to PowerDVD. The two free programs
    >win hands down. Up until now I was giving all the stars to my
    >ATI x1300 graphics card and ATI's drivers for it. Now, it seems
    >that MPC & VLC produce superior video quality to PowerDVD - and
    >without audio issues. I can only hope that they will some day
    >add BR/HD player capability.

    Try Linux, and Mplayer. They now have UDF 2.5 support in the kernel.

    There are also hundreds of published keys to make the titles play.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Dec 11, 2007