    complain as she will have access to what she needs. We
    have no internet tracer running and the firewall wont do
    this. Thanks Sb

    Sb, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Sb

    sj Guest

    Re: blocking all website, but 1

    if you are looking for a "free" fix.
    only allow her computer to route to that site and to the email server (DNS
    if needed).

    or use a firewall/proxy to do the same.

    sj, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Sb

    Sb Guest

    Re: blocking all website, but 1

    yeah will have to be a free/or cheap solution. Firwall is
    not able to do this, was hoping interent explorer or 2k
    would have a way to stop this.

    Sb, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Sb

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: blocking all website, but 1

    "Sb" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > yeah will have to be a free/or cheap solution. Firwall is
    > not able to do this, was hoping interent explorer or 2k
    > would have a way to stop this.

    I don't know of a way to block here with just IE6 and win2k. The
    following link may go a long way towards helping keep the crap off
    though:

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Make the file read only and restrict NTFS access for her account to read.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark."

    catwalker63, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Sb

    Guest Guest

    Re: blocking all website, but 1

    Thanks catwalker, do you know if I were to upgrade her
    machine to XP if I will be able to do what i want?

    Guest, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Re: blocking all website, but 1

    You do not need to upgrade to Win XP to do this but you should block the
    website in the host file manually if it is not on the list Catwalker gave
    you. Also, take away any admin rights she has (and any other user that doesnt
    need admin) so the file will not execute.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=, Mar 1, 2005
  7. Sb

    Sb Guest

    Re: blocking all website, but 1

    Thanks all for your help, have decided to use the content
    advisor to only allow the select website and all others
    will require a password. As their are many sites she was
    visiting it would be a long process to block them all.
    Thanks all again for your help, but if anyone has a
    solution that wont require a password dialog to popup when
    she tries to access a restricted site please let me know.

    Sb, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Sb

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Sb" <> say in

    > Hoping someone might be able to help me with this small
    > prob. currently working in a small network as
    > helpdesk/admin. I have one user that is constantly ringing
    > me up complaining her pc is slow. Ever time it is caused
    > by a million and one add ware running, this is so bloody
    > frustrating as she will not listen to me when told NOT to
    > go to these site. She has to have access to one particular
    > site to be able to continue working. Pc is running 2k sp4,
    > internet explorer 6, can anyone help me with a solution to
    > block her to only access this one particular website. I
    > know it won't shut her up but I will be able to ignore her
    > winging about a slow pc and her manager won't be able to
    > complain as she will have access to what she needs. We
    > have no internet tracer running and the firewall wont do
    > this. Thanks Sb

    how about turning off DNS and giving her a hosts file that contains only
    the servers you specify. Lot more work for you, but you have control. You
    could add a ton of entries into the block list of IE. I also believe that
    SpyBlaster will add entires of know ad-ware sites into the blocked list
    of IE.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Macintosh....an "Etch-a Sketch" You Don't Have to Shake.

    Neil, Mar 1, 2005
  9. Sb

    Neil Guest

    > As their are many sites she was
    > visiting it would be a long process to block them all.

    spyblaster

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

    Neil, Mar 1, 2005
  10. Sb

    catwalker63 Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in

    > how about turning off DNS and giving her a hosts file that contains
    > only the servers you specify. Lot more work for you, but you have
    > control. You could add a ton of entries into the block list of IE. I
    > also believe that SpyBlaster will add entires of know ad-ware sites
    > into the blocked list of IE.

    Hmmm. Come to think of it, the current version of spybot does this too.
    Hey Neil, I didn't think of removing DNS servers. That's a cool power
    you have there. <g>

    catwalker63, Mar 1, 2005
  11. Sb

    Neil Guest

    did you hear catwalker63 <> say in

    > Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
    >

    >> how about turning off DNS and giving her a hosts file that contains
    >> only the servers you specify. Lot more work for you, but you have
    >> control. You could add a ton of entries into the block list of IE. I
    >> also believe that SpyBlaster will add entires of know ad-ware sites
    >> into the blocked list of IE.
    >>

    > Hmmm. Come to think of it, the current version of spybot does this too.
    > Hey Neil, I didn't think of removing DNS servers. That's a cool power
    > you have there. <g>

    ok so you don't turn of the DNS server, just don't configure one for that
    user. SHEESH!

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - 'Bother,' said Pooh, as he took aim from behind the grassy knoll.

    Neil, Mar 1, 2005
  12. Re: blocking all website, but 1

    You might be able to create an ipsec filtering policy using permit and block
    filter actions on her computer to allow access to only the one website by
    allowing access to port 80 for only the IP address or addresses needed.
    Ipsec policies are created in Local Security Policy or can be configured at
    the domain/OU level. Another possibility is to add the sites that she needs
    access to the trusted Web Content Zone on her computer and then set the
    security setting for the internet Web Content Zone to high, privacy setting
    to medium high, disable install on demand(other), and configure Group Policy
    [which could be local Group Policy via gpedit.msc] to not allow her access
    to those settings so that she can not change them. --- Steve

    http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1559 -- ipsec filtering

    Steven L Umbach, Mar 3, 2005
  13. Sb

    meanoldman Guest

    To build on Neil's suggestion:

    I'm assuming that you don't have a PIX, if you did you should be able to
    easily configure something there. Anyway:

    Give her a static IP so she is not automatically pointed to a dns server

    Set up a host file to that gives her proper resolution to any internal
    servers and the website she needs to go to.

    Maybe I'm just re-stating what he said, not sure.

    OR:

    And this would be the BEST suggestion.

    Tell her boss and your boss what's going on and if she continues to abuse
    her freedoms let them deal with her.

    meanoldman, Mar 3, 2005
  14. Sb

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "meanoldman" <> say in news:ugtLw0AIFHA.1996
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > Give her a static IP so she is not automatically pointed to a dns

    server

    > Set up a host file to that gives her proper resolution to any internal
    > servers and the website she needs to go to.
    >
    > Maybe I'm just re-stating what he said, not sure.

    that is what I was driving at...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.

    Neil, Mar 3, 2005
  15. Sb

    Guest Guest

    RESPONSE FROM SHAFIY2K:

    Hi
    You have mentioned that to block a website which is
    accessed by an user, Normally by using IE Security
    policies you can block users that blocks to taking
    resources or navigating over INTERNET by using IE
    Browser.

    Or else, if you want to block a particular website for
    that user, you have to go to properties page to IE
    application of that user`s desktop, go to security tab,
    and go to restricted sites, give the name of that
    website, Click - Apply - OK.

    Alert, if she was an NT based user having her unique user
    ID, i am not sure about it. Kindly verify it and do.

    With regards
    Shafi.H

    Guest, Mar 16, 2005
  16. Sb

    Neil Guest

    did you hear <> say in

    > Kindly verify it and do.

    Ping John Eddy or who ever - can we get localized ng's?
    PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Ass, n.: The masculine of "lass".

    Neil, Mar 16, 2005