OT: BLACKADDER'S BACK

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Curtin/Dobbs, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Curtin/Dobbs

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    Blackadder in the Sixties

    By THOMAS WHITAKER
    Showbiz Reporter, "The Sun"

    BALDRICK'S got a cunning plan to bring back "Blackadder" and set it in the
    Swinging Sixties.

    Actor Tony Robinson, who played the half-witted servant, said Rowan Atkinson
    and the other main stars had agreed to do a fifth series of the hit comedy.

    The cast was last seen in 1989 getting mown down as they charged from a
    World War I trench.

    In the new series Atkinson, as Blackadder, may be transformed into an
    illegitimate son of royalty, while Baldrick would be a drummer called Bald
    Rick.

    Robinson, 58, told ITV's This Morning: "Rowan is more keen than he has been
    in the past and I'd love to do it."

    "Blackadder," also starring Hugh Lawrie and Miranda Richardson, was recently
    voted Britain's best-loved sitcom behind "Only Fools And Horses."

    CAR fanatic Atkinson has told Octane magazine that he recently bought an
    all-singing all-dancing Audi A8 W12 with voice recognition--and it started
    talking in GERMAN.

    ==========
    Question:
    What's "Only Fools And Horses" about and why hasn't Norman Lear "developed"
    it here, yet?
    ==========
    Curtin/Dobbs, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <.> wrote in message
    > Blackadder in the Sixties
    >
    > By THOMAS WHITAKER
    > Showbiz Reporter, "The Sun"
    >
    > BALDRICK'S got a cunning plan to bring back "Blackadder" and set it in the
    > Swinging Sixties.
    >
    > Actor Tony Robinson, who played the half-witted servant, said Rowan

    Atkinson
    > and the other main stars had agreed to do a fifth series of the hit

    comedy.

    > The cast was last seen in 1989 getting mown down as they charged from a
    > World War I trench.

    BBC says not:
    BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | BBC denies Blackadder TV comeback
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4253203.stm
    Raúl Bloodworth, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Curtin/Dobbs

    Tim Falow Guest

    Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    I don't know if Rowan can top his work in Mr. Bean movie or Johnny English

    Tim Falow, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Curtin/Dobbs

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    I have to wonder about the accuracy of any story that can't even spell
    Hugh Laurie's name correctly.

    Laurie, by the way, is doing much better than probably anyone could
    have expected with his FOX series "House." I would have expected this
    series to be an early cancellation, but it has just been given an
    extension to a full run of 22 episodes and pulled in some solid ratings
    numbers last week.
    SoHillsGuy, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    SoHillsGuy wrote:

    > I have to wonder about the accuracy of any story that can't even spell
    > Hugh Laurie's name correctly.
    >
    > Laurie, by the way, is doing much better than probably anyone could
    > have expected with his FOX series "House." I would have expected this
    > series to be an early cancellation, but it has just been given an
    > extension to a full run of 22 episodes and pulled in some solid ratings
    > numbers last week.

    It's a good gritty medical drama with an anti-hero Laurie as a
    handicapped doctor disabled by medical error using more pain killers
    than Rush Limbaugh dissing McNabb on Monday Night Football. While they
    do seem to be overusing the "Let's withhold all treatment on the dying
    patent' gambit, otherwise it gets a well worth watching grade.

    --
    What I can't figure out is why no one seems to point out that while
    private accounts won't solve the 2042 problem, perhaps they will push it
    Bill Bonde ( ''The chamber was in confusion, all t, Feb 10, 2005
  6. Curtin/Dobbs

    Nick Guest

    Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    I really hope you're joking there. I'm sure you are!

    Nick, Feb 10, 2005
  7. Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    Raúl Bloodworth wrote:
    > "Curtin/Dobbs" <.> wrote in message
    >
    >>Blackadder in the Sixties
    >>
    >>By THOMAS WHITAKER
    >>Showbiz Reporter, "The Sun"
    >>
    >>BALDRICK'S got a cunning plan to bring back "Blackadder" and set it in the
    >>Swinging Sixties.
    >>
    >>Actor Tony Robinson, who played the half-witted servant, said Rowan

    > Atkinson
    >
    >>and the other main stars had agreed to do a fifth series of the hit

    > comedy.
    >
    >>The cast was last seen in 1989 getting mown down as they charged from a
    >>World War I trench.

    > BBC says not:
    > BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | BBC denies Blackadder TV comeback
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4253203.stm

    The "drummer" bit was left over from the "The Black Adder Five" rumor,
    which even writer Richard Curtis says is DOA--
    He was all set to go ahead with it, but claims the "running gags"
    (Baldrick's cooking, BA's ever-expanding metaphors) were getting more
    tired and mechanical, and opted out.

    ....As it is, the finale in the Millenium Dome's desperately old and
    unfunny "Back and Forth" is just that.

    Derek Janssen (who has a feeling we'll still be debunking this one
    twenty years from now)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 10, 2005
  8. Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    SoHillsGuy wrote:
    > I have to wonder about the accuracy of any story that can't even spell
    > Hugh Laurie's name correctly.
    >
    > Laurie, by the way, is doing much better than probably anyone could
    > have expected with his FOX series "House." I would have expected this
    > series to be an early cancellation, but it has just been given an
    > extension to a full run of 22 episodes and pulled in some solid ratings
    > numbers last week.

    Having seen and liked "House" and having a near 100% record of shows I
    like being canceled, this is strange, but welcome, news.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game
    Matthew L. Martin, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Curtin/Dobbs

    WKC Guest

    Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    He has to be !

    WKC.

    WKC, Feb 11, 2005
  10. Re: BLACKADDER'S BACK

    Kidding right?

    c"

    Renaissance Man, Feb 11, 2005
  11. Curtin/Dobbs

    RogerM Guest

    Curtin/Dobbs wrote:

    > Blackadder in the Sixties
    >
    > By THOMAS WHITAKER
    > Showbiz Reporter, "The Sun"
    >
    > BALDRICK'S got a cunning plan to bring back "Blackadder" and set it in the
    > Swinging Sixties.
    >
    > Actor Tony Robinson, who played the half-witted servant, said Rowan Atkinson
    > and the other main stars had agreed to do a fifth series of the hit comedy.
    >
    > The cast was last seen in 1989 getting mown down as they charged from a
    > World War I trench.
    >
    > In the new series Atkinson, as Blackadder, may be transformed into an
    > illegitimate son of royalty, while Baldrick would be a drummer called Bald
    > Rick.
    >
    > Robinson, 58, told ITV's This Morning: "Rowan is more keen than he has been
    > in the past and I'd love to do it."

    If it is up to the quality of the previous seasons, that would be
    wonderful.

    --

    Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
    RogerM, Feb 11, 2005
  12. RogerM wrote:

    > Curtin/Dobbs wrote:
    >
    >>Blackadder in the Sixties
    >>
    >>By THOMAS WHITAKER
    >>Showbiz Reporter, "The Sun"
    >>
    >>BALDRICK'S got a cunning plan to bring back "Blackadder" and set it in the
    >>Swinging Sixties.

    <well, no, he doesn't, actually; see previous posts>

    > If it is up to the quality of the previous seasons, that would be
    > wonderful.

    Just too bad even "Goes Forth" wasn't up to the quality of the previous
    seasons--
    Come back, Mandie Fletcher, all is forgiven!

    Derek Janssen (and yeah, we've already busted this one, but there's
    still a few last fan-dreams you have to crush)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2005
  13. Curtin/Dobbs

    sbr Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:11:24 -0800, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Just too bad even "Goes Forth" wasn't up to the quality of the previous
    >seasons--
    >Come back, Mandie Fletcher, all is forgiven!

    You really think so? I've been re-watching them again recently and
    I've finally come round to the idea that 4 is the best series, after
    years of saying it wasn't quite as good as the second (which got my
    vote mainly because of Miranda Richardson as the Queen). But I haven't
    heard many who prefer the third or first series to the forth.

    sbr

    Movie reviews, essays and more at http://www.cinephobia.com
    sbr, Feb 11, 2005
  14. Curtin/Dobbs

    Stott Guest

    I think Blackadder is one of the few seried which got better with each
    season. Perhaps the gags weren't quite as good in the fourth, but the
    character development was perfect. It seens appropriate somehow that they
    stopped there- the madness of the Great War outdid everything else.

    Stott

    Stott, Feb 11, 2005
  15. Stott wrote:

    > I think Blackadder is one of the few seried which got better with each
    > season. Perhaps the gags weren't quite as good in the fourth, but the
    > character development was perfect. It seens appropriate somehow that they
    > stopped there- the madness of the Great War outdid everything else.
    >
    > Stott
    >
    > sbr wrote:
    >

    >>You really think so? I've been re-watching them again recently and
    >>I've finally come round to the idea that 4 is the best series, after
    >>years of saying it wasn't quite as good as the second (which got my
    >>vote mainly because of Miranda Richardson as the Queen). But I haven't
    >>heard many who prefer the third or first series to the forth.

    While I admire the work, I must admit that it hurts too much: the
    Great War is a little too close and real to us to watch them end it --
    correctly -- the way they did.

    Bob
    Robert Lipton, Feb 11, 2005
  16. Curtin/Dobbs

    RogerM Guest

    sbr wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:11:24 -0800, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Just too bad even "Goes Forth" wasn't up to the quality of the previous
    > >seasons--
    > >Come back, Mandie Fletcher, all is forgiven!
    > >

    > You really think so? I've been re-watching them again recently and
    > I've finally come round to the idea that 4 is the best series, after
    > years of saying it wasn't quite as good as the second (which got my
    > vote mainly because of Miranda Richardson as the Queen). But I haven't
    > heard many who prefer the third or first series to the forth.

    The greatest thing about season four is the amazing performance by
    Stephen Fry as General Melchitt. Perhaps the greatest supporting role in
    a comedy series ever.

    Season two had an amazing performance by Tom Baker as Captain Redbeard
    Rum. A remarkable treat for us Dr. Who fans.

    RogerM, Feb 12, 2005
  17. Curtin/Dobbs

    Big Boy Guest

    RogerM wrote:
    > sbr wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:11:24 -0800, Derek Janssen
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just too bad even "Goes Forth" wasn't up to the quality of the previous
    >>>seasons--
    >>>Come back, Mandie Fletcher, all is forgiven!
    >>>

    >>You really think so? I've been re-watching them again recently and
    >>I've finally come round to the idea that 4 is the best series, after
    >>years of saying it wasn't quite as good as the second (which got my
    >>vote mainly because of Miranda Richardson as the Queen). But I haven't
    >>heard many who prefer the third or first series to the forth.
    >>

    > The greatest thing about season four is the amazing performance by
    > Stephen Fry as General Melchitt. Perhaps the greatest supporting role in
    > a comedy series ever.
    >
    > Season two had an amazing performance by Tom Baker as Captain Redbeard
    > Rum. A remarkable treat for us Dr. Who fans.

    Aye, lad! But it would be a WOMAN's treat!

    BB
    Big Boy, Feb 12, 2005
  18. Curtin/Dobbs

    Nick Guest

    Its so hard to choose between the four - they are all great in their own
    way. A lot of people I know don't rate the first series but I love it, Rowan
    Atkinson is completely different in this one to the other series which makes
    the whole thing really different. And its got Peter Cook!

    Nick, Feb 13, 2005
  19. Curtin/Dobbs

    RogerM Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > Its so hard to choose between the four - they are all great in their own
    > way. A lot of people I know don't rate the first series but I love it,

    I didn't at first, but upon re-watching season one, I've decided I like
    it better than season three at least. The witch-smeller episode and the
    season finale were especially good.

    > Rowan
    > Atkinson is completely different in this one to the other series which makes
    > the whole thing really different.

    Very different, yes. In the first season he's primarily a sniveling
    incompetent. In the others, he's clearly the smartest character, but
    still damned unlucky.

    >And its got Peter Cook!

    That's not a plus for me. The first season opener is probably the worst
    episode of the entire series.

    Ranking:
    S 2
    S 4
    S 1
    S 3 (which was generally week, except for the finale. Stephen Fry
    excellent as usual in the role of the Duke of Wellington)

    RogerM, Feb 13, 2005
  20. Curtin/Dobbs

    foggytown Guest

    RogerM wrote:
    > Nick wrote:
    > >
    > > Its so hard to choose between the four - they are all great in

    their own
    > > way. A lot of people I know don't rate the first series but I love

    it,

    > I didn't at first, but upon re-watching season one, I've decided I

    like
    > it better than season three at least. The witch-smeller episode and

    the
    > season finale were especially good.
    >
    > > Rowan
    > > Atkinson is completely different in this one to the other series

    which makes
    > > the whole thing really different.

    > Very different, yes. In the first season he's primarily a sniveling
    > incompetent. In the others, he's clearly the smartest character, but
    > still damned unlucky.
    >
    > >And its got Peter Cook!
    > >

    > That's not a plus for me. The first season opener is probably the

    worst
    > episode of the entire series.
    >
    > Ranking:
    > S 2
    > S 4
    > S 1
    > S 3 (which was generally week, except for the finale. Stephen Fry
    > excellent as usual in the role of the Duke of Wellington)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the

    future.

    > "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

    I would probably agree with that ranking - maybe swapping 1 and 3
    depending on my mood. I would like to have seen Brian Blessed in some
    of the later series.

    FoggyTown
    foggytown, Feb 14, 2005