[OT]: AMD Processor Identification (x86 & x64)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Corsair, Jul 3, 2009.

  1. Corsair

    Corsair Guest

    Hi all,

    first of all I'm not a programmer, so everything looks like Chinese for me.

    I'm collaborating in a Throttling software for BOINC,
    http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/
    I have to search about the identification of AMD Processor to give as much
    info as possible to be displayed by the application.

    Now the problems comes, I've been reading the technical info from AMD and it
    looks like that all information is in CPUID instruction, but can not, better
    I don't know how to resume in a table for quick access of the software
    (TThrottle) that could read the CPUID instruction and display this info in
    the log tab.

    more or less the info could be as:
    Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
    Vendor: AMD
    HighestIntegerValue: 00000001 - Processor Signature: 00040FB2
    Misc. info: 01020800
    Feature Flags1 00002001
    Feature Flags2 178BFBFF

    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
    Processor: Family: Fh, Model: 4B, Stepping: 2
    Processor: Revision: BH-F2, Revision: F
    Processor: Socket: AM2, Type: Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core
    Processor: Max Die (Tjunction) Temperature: 70.0 °C

    The question:

    is there any table available in the web for doing this??
    is there any software library with this info available??

    of course, if possible, freeware as throttling software is freeware too.

    thanks in advanced, Corsair.

    Corsair, Jul 3, 2009

  2. Corsair

    Carlos Guest

    Corsair,
    Not a programmer myself also but you might get some info from the programmer
    of the freeware program RW-Everything.
    Here's his contact info:
    http://rweverything.phpnet.us/contact.html
    Or you could also find some ideas installing his program and checking the .
    http://rweverything.phpnet.us/
    Just 1.2 megabytes.
    Once installed, access the "CPU MSR" option, or click on the button labeled
    "MSR".
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 3, 2009

  3. Corsair

    Corsair Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    the web page gives me an alert about about Trojan.

    Corsair

    noticias:...

    Corsair, Jul 3, 2009
  4. Corsair

    Carlos Guest

    Corsair,

    No Trojans announced by either McAfee (at work) or Avast (at home).

    Anyway, this is the programmers e-mail:
    (a.k.a: "Jeff")

    and this is the direct download link for his program:
    http://rweverything.phpnet.us/bin/RwV1.3.zip

    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 3, 2009
  5. Re: AMD Processor Identification (x86 & x64)

    You might want to take a look at PowerShell's Get-WMIObject command, using
    the Win32_Processor class.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 3, 2009
  6. Corsair

    TMA Guest

    Let me see if I get you ....

    You want to find a way for your software to detect CPU info on the fly, is
    that right?
    If that's it, you can follow Charlie Russel's tip but you'll need some work
    to process the answer inside the application. Kind of impossible for a
    non-programmer because, as far as I know, Windows will not keep this kind of
    detailed information you are looking for. Assuming you are expecting to get
    it from, lets say, the registry.

    I am a programmer myself and I tried to write code to do similar tasks and I
    remember at that time I had to go into "bloody hell" assembler language
    (hehe, windows 95 didn't really have all these modern tricks).

    But, on the other hand, if you are looking for the CPU ID for an specific
    machine, you can simply go to device manager and read all it's properties.

    Hope it helps.

    TMA, Jul 4, 2009
  7. Corsair

    Corsair Guest

    Hi Charlie and TMA,

    thanks both for your answer.

    the matter is that the "TThrottle" software has a logging tab, and for
    debugging purposes shows all that info, to know if something is wrong with
    the computer, processor, etc.

    reading the technical bulletins and information from AMD you can get all
    this info with the CPUID instruction, e.g. family Fh model 4B Revision BH-F2
    it correspond to "Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core" socket (package) AM2, so it looks
    like that getting these two first parameters and the string name of the
    processor is more or less easy, so making a table with these entrances you
    could get the rest of the data, that it is available in the AMD web but I
    think is too confusing and I know that is a hard job.

    so, what I asking is if is there any freeware library or a table of this
    kind is done yet and if anybody know where could be shared??.

    nice weekend, Corsair.

    noticias:#b$dQhD$...

    Corsair, Jul 4, 2009