OT: Alt.keyboard

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by skearney@accessbee.com, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    It has been three years since the topic of the Dvorak keyboard has been
    brought up in this group, so this idea is out of place. Just wanted to
    give it some exposure and maybe find a convert.

    Aset keyboard
    It has been said that the most common letters were taken off the home
    row of the first typewriter keyboard to slow down the typist and
    prevent jamming.
    On a Dvorak keyboard almost sixty percent of average text is typed from
    the home keys. Transposing the letters 'etni' with 'dfjk' would put
    more than 55% of text on the home keys, up from only 26% on the qwerty
    layout. Thats more than twice the text typed without lifting a finger.

    The change is quite pleasant and easy to learn. I hope you will pass
    this on.

    To put e, t, n and i back where they belong, there is a keyboard
    remapping program that is free, downloads quickly and is very easy to
    use. I am typing this post on a keyboard remapped to the 'etni'
    transposition layout. The program is called 'Keytweak 2.11' and can be
    googled up by that name. It is available from several sites, including
    PC magazine and recommended by several keyboard manufacturers,
    including TypeMatrix. The creator of the program is Travis Krumsick.

    1) After you have loaded the program click start.
    2) Click the "KeyTweak" icon and a graphic of a keyboard will appear.
    3) Click the "Full Teach Mode" at the bottom of the screen.
    4) A box will appear. Click "Begin Teach Mode".
    5) Press the key you want to reassign, then the key you want it
    reassigned to, in this case D to E.
    6) Click "Remap Key#1 to Key#2"
    7) The box will disappear and the scancodes of the keys will appear in
    the "Pending Changes" window at the bottom right.
    8) Follow the same procedure (from 3) for E to D, and the remaining
    six remaps.
    9) Click "Apply" and you will be asked if you want to turn off the
    computer to apply the changes.
    At the top there is also a clickable "Restore Defaults" to give
    you back your qwerty layout.
    I was able to remap in under three minutes and restore qwerty in
    thirty seconds, not including the restart.

    You can try out the sample lines of text below to discover that your
    fingers already know where etni should go.

    nineteen lean little saints settle in a nest
    jkjdfddj ldaj lkffld sakjfs sdffld kj a jdsf

    an alien eats an ant antenna in atlanta
    aj alkdj dafs aj ajf ajfdjja kj aflajfa

    elite sense entails a siesta in a satin seat
    dlkfd sdjsd djfakls a skdsfa kj a safkj sdaf

    a stain is seen at a linen sale
    a sfakj ks sddj af a lkjdj sald

    a latent latin talent tast tests in seattle
    a lafdjf lafkj faldjf fasf fdsfs kj sdaffld

    insane santa sails in sea salt
    kjsajd sajfa sakls kj sda salf

    Many thanks,

    , Apr 15, 2005

  2. Guest

    The letters etni are five times more common than dfjk. While I have no
    objective proof that putting etni on the home keys improves speed, it
    sure feels comfortable.
    Does any one in this news group use a Dvorak layout?

    , Apr 23, 2005

  3. Guest

    K-Crack Smoking **** wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > The letters etni are five times more common than dfjk. While I

    have no
    > > objective proof that putting etni on the home keys improves speed,

    it
    > > sure feels comfortable.
    > > Does any one in this news group use a Dvorak layout?

    > You're not going to get an answer here and all the good people for

    the most
    > part have left for parts unknown, because I have destroyed the NG and

    it's
    > useless due to me. You had best find another NG because I have

    squatted here
    > in this one and maybe I'll show a little kindness a mercifully leave.

    But I
    > doubt it. ;-)
    >
    > K-**** :)

    You seem to have a lot of expertise. If I ever get 800 pieces of
    spam email, I would come back here for help. Your moniker stands out
    as... well it really stands out. Ever thought of posting as just K-CSC?

    , Apr 23, 2005