OT: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 and books on photography.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill, Feb 5, 2008.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have a problem with the above reader and *some* photography text books.

    This may well be thoroughly of topic but I cannot find an appropriate newsgroup
    on which to place this problem. I therefor apologize, unreservedly.

    Some books include the Roman numerals in the page number box as Roman
    numerals eg iv, xxi etc the same as in the document. Usually it is such things
    as the Introduction, list of chapters and sometimes index. From chapter one
    onwards the number in the page box coincides with the page number. So if I wish
    to get into a particular topic I just need to type in the page number and there
    we are, at the relevant page. *But*, and here is part of my problem, some books
    include the Roman numerals in the page number box. This means that this number
    does not coincide with the page number in the book. It means I have to add the
    Roman numerals to get the page number I want. *Now the question*. Is there
    anyway I can configure Adobe Reader (the free one) to exclude the Roman numerals
    from the page number box so that they both, the one displayed in the box and on
    the book page, coincide?

    This may well be thoroughly of topic but I cannot find an appropriate newsgroup
    on which to place this problem. I therefor apologize, unreservedly.

    Thanks in advance.

    Bill.

    Bill, Feb 5, 2008

  2. Bill

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 07:15:55 GMT, Bill
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Some books include the Roman numerals in the page number box as Roman
    >numerals eg iv, xxi etc the same as in the document. Usually it is such things
    >as the Introduction, list of chapters and sometimes index. From chapter one
    >onwards the number in the page box coincides with the page number. So if I wish
    >to get into a particular topic I just need to type in the page number and there
    >we are, at the relevant page. *But*, and here is part of my problem, some books
    >include the Roman numerals in the page number box. This means that this number
    >does not coincide with the page number in the book. It means I have to add the
    >Roman numerals to get the page number I want. *Now the question*. Is there
    >anyway I can configure Adobe Reader (the free one) to exclude the Roman numerals
    >from the page number box so that they both, the one displayed in the box and on
    >the book page, coincide?

    AFAIK, you can only do this in full Acrobat, not the free Adobe Reader.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 5, 2008

  3. Bill

    Guest

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 07:15:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Bill
    <> wrote:

    >I have a problem with the above reader and *some* photography text books.
    >
    >This may well be thoroughly of topic but I cannot find an appropriate newsgroup
    >on which to place this problem. I therefor apologize, unreservedly.
    >
    >Some books include the Roman numerals in the page number box as Roman
    >numerals eg iv, xxi etc the same as in the document. Usually it is such things
    >as the Introduction, list of chapters and sometimes index. From chapter one
    >onwards the number in the page box coincides with the page number. So if I wish
    >to get into a particular topic I just need to type in the page number and there
    >we are, at the relevant page. *But*, and here is part of my problem, some books
    >include the Roman numerals in the page number box. This means that this number
    >does not coincide with the page number in the book. It means I have to add the
    >Roman numerals to get the page number I want. *Now the question*. Is there
    >anyway I can configure Adobe Reader (the free one) to exclude the Roman numerals
    >from the page number box so that they both, the one displayed in the box and on
    >the book page, coincide?

    Try Edit => Preferences => Page Display
    select "use logical page numbers"

    , Feb 5, 2008