    easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    specific hardware.
    Nova, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Nova

    RJ Guest

    In article <44163192$>, says...
    > I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little
    > play with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > specific hardware.

    The monopolist in Apple, you know, the ones that won't allow cloned
    hardware to be produced, won't hear of any such thing.
    RJ, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Nova

    Mercury Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44163192$...
    >I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little play
    >with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > specific hardware.

    ....and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced hardware?
    Mercury, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44163192$...
    >> I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little play
    >> with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >>
    >> Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    >> x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    >> easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    >> challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    >> specific hardware.

    > ...and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced hardware?

    Which would easily be made up if they could increase their market share
    of the desktop market. Their current/continued strategy hasn't really
    gained them much market share?
    Nova, Mar 14, 2006
  5. Nova

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <dv5fdl$pr0$>, "Mercury" <>
    wrote:

    > "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44163192$...
    > >I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little play
    > >with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    > >
    > > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > > specific hardware.

    > ...and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced hardware?

    What grossly over priced hardware ?

    Oh, wait yes, thats they FUD from 20 years ago.

    Never mind the fact that the TCO has been proven time and time again to
    be cheaper for the Mac than for a wintel machine
    whoisthis, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Nova

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <44163192$>, Nova <> wrote:

    > I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little
    > play with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > specific hardware.

    Apple is a hardware/software company. The clones DID impact on apple.

    Apart from that the hadware (and quality of hardware) is so variable
    that when people see a piece of PC crap crash they will blame Apple not
    the piece of crap hardware
    whoisthis, Mar 14, 2006
  7. whoisthis wrote:

    > In article <44163192$>, Nova <> wrote:

    > > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > > specific hardware.

    > Apple is a hardware/software company. The clones DID impact on apple.
    >
    > Apart from that the hadware (and quality of hardware) is so variable
    > that when people see a piece of PC crap crash they will blame Apple not
    > the piece of crap hardware

    Yes, allowing OS X to run on non-Apple hardware would require the
    availability of a multitude of drivers for various different types of
    hardware, and this would impact apon the reliability of the operating
    system. OS X's key strength (or weakness, depending on your point of
    view) is its simplicity, and the type of people who benefit from this
    are not the type of people who feel inclined to try out different
    combinations of hardware and software.

    Apple pitches towards a loyal niche market of computer users who are
    willing to pay a premium for a low maintenance machine with good
    aesthetics. They will never gain market dominance, or anything close to
    it, but they will continue to produce hardware and software that
    pleases their target market. To me, that's a sound business plan.
    alastair.geek.nz, Mar 14, 2006
  8. Nova

    Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little
    > play with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > specific hardware.

    Apple's are Apple's because of the package.

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 14, 2006
  9. Nova

    Mercury Guest

    hmmm graphics card upgrades for a start.

    Mercury, Mar 14, 2006
  10. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:58:25 +1300, Nova wrote:

    > I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little
    > play with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > specific hardware.

    A bit tricky there as they wouldn't want to piss M$ off too much or it
    would be the end of Office for the Mac...

    Hardware is where Apple is making the money though. I reckon you might see
    some wierd combo like Dell and OS X in the future or something. The ipod
    seems to switch a few people from their PCs.
    wogers nemesis, Mar 14, 2006
  11. Nova

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, mer
    says...
    > In article <dv5fdl$pr0$>, "Mercury" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44163192$...
    > > >I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little play
    > > >with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    > > >
    > > > Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > > > x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > > > easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > > > challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > > > specific hardware.

    > > ...and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced hardware?

    > What grossly over priced hardware ?
    >
    > Oh, wait yes, thats they FUD from 20 years ago.
    >
    > Never mind the fact that the TCO has been proven time and time again to
    > be cheaper for the Mac than for a wintel machine

    Thats because no one uses it.
    RJ, Mar 14, 2006
  12. Nova

    RJ Guest

    In article <441646eb$>, says...
    > Mercury wrote:
    > > "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44163192$...
    > >> I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little play
    > >> with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    > >>
    > >> Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    > >> x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    > >> easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    > >> challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    > >> specific hardware.

    > > ...and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced hardware?
    > >

    > Which would easily be made up if they could increase their market share
    > of the desktop market. Their current/continued strategy hasn't really
    > gained them much market share?

    They like having control of the whole platform. Making it a PC platform,
    they've lost control of the hardware.
    RJ, Mar 14, 2006
  13. Nova

    thing2 Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <dv5fdl$pr0$>, "Mercury" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Nova" <> wrote in message news:44163192$...
    >>
    >>>I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a little play
    >>>with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >>>
    >>>Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on any
    >>>x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and would
    >>>easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could really
    >>>challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't restrict it to
    >>>specific hardware.

    >>...and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced hardware?

    > What grossly over priced hardware ?

    Looking at basic mac laptops v basic Windows laptops I see several
    issues, one the Mac is 50~100% more to buy for the same spec, its
    warrantee support costs a big % (say 3 years) to get, they are usually
    sent away to OZ to get repaired/upgraded so it sucks for downtime....

    > Oh, wait yes, thats they FUD from 20 years ago.

    FUD? Macs have always commanded a price premium over PCs. These days
    most components seem to be PC based, so how can Apple justify its price?

    > Never mind the fact that the TCO has been proven time and time again to
    > be cheaper for the Mac than for a wintel machine

    Proof? URL?

    Our experience is, Macs are more expensive to purchase, more expensive
    to repair and have user issues just like Windows/linux desktops (so say
    even). Good Mac desktop admins also seem fairly rare compared to
    Windows/Linux so I would need convincing that Apple was cheaper than
    Windows or Linux in TCO terms.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Mar 14, 2006
  14. thing2 wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:

    > > Oh, wait yes, thats they FUD from 20 years ago.

    > FUD? Macs have always commanded a price premium over PCs. These days
    > most components seem to be PC based, so how can Apple justify its price?

    The Mac's price premium is for the software, not the hardware. People
    don't buy a Mac because they want Apple hardware but, rather, because
    they like Apple's software and are willing to pay a premium for it. If
    you don't like OS X or iLife, then you can get much better value from
    other vendors, but it's a matter of taste.

    Honestly, it doesn't take long for these platform wars to get
    incredibly boring...
    alastair.geek.nz, Mar 15, 2006
  15. In <441646eb$> Nova wrote:
    > Mercury wrote:
    >> "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44163192$.
    >> nz...
    >>> I managed to take a look at tiger at a friends house and had a
    >>> little play with it, I was really impressed, very nice desktop.
    >>>
    >>> Wouldn't it be better if Apple just allowed this to be installed on
    >>> any x86 machine? This desktop is far better than gnome or kde and
    >>> would easily give XP a run for its money. I would think they could
    >>> really challenge microsoft if they opened it up more and didn't
    >>> restrict it to specific hardware.

    >> ...and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced
    >> hardware?

    > Which would easily be made up if they could increase their market
    > share of the desktop market. Their current/continued strategy hasn't
    > really gained them much market share?

    Apple has much higher profit margins on their computers then most of the
    other manufacturers, and while the cheapest Mac is $1200 (sans keyboard,
    mouse or display!) a boxed copy of OS X sells for just $235.

    The problem is that if Apple were to release a retail version of Mac OS
    X for PCs it would cut into their Mac sales. They would have to grab a
    big chunk of the OS share from Windows to make up for it. Linux is free,
    and has barely made a dent! Forget just doubling their market share,
    they might have to increase it five-fold just to make the same amount of
    money.

    (Note that I'm not saying it wouldn't be great if Apple _did_ release a
    generic version of Mac OS X, but financially it would be irresponsible
    for them to do it)

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 15, 2006
  16. Nova

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    thing2 <> wrote:

    > > What grossly over priced hardware ?

    > Looking at basic mac laptops v basic Windows laptops I see several
    > issues, one the Mac is 50~100% more to buy for the same spec, its
    > warrantee support costs a big % (say 3 years) to get, they are usually
    > sent away to OZ to get repaired/upgraded so it sucks for downtime....

    Looking at cheap PCs you get what you pay for !

    As for them being sent to Oz for repair... yea right, that hasn't
    happened in the last 5 years.

    > > Oh, wait yes, thats they FUD from 20 years ago.

    > FUD? Macs have always commanded a price premium over PCs. These days
    > most components seem to be PC based, so how can Apple justify its price?

    QUALITY, its like cheap no-name brands of Coke,you pay a LOT more for
    Pepsi/CocaCola but the quality is a damned sight better, and lets face
    it they are 98% water....

    > > Never mind the fact that the TCO has been proven time and time again to
    > > be cheaper for the Mac than for a wintel machine

    > Proof? URL?
    >
    > Our experience is, Macs are more expensive to purchase, more expensive
    > to repair and have user issues just like Windows/linux desktops (so say
    > even). Good Mac desktop admins also seem fairly rare compared to
    > Windows/Linux so I would need convincing that Apple was cheaper than
    > Windows or Linux in TCO terms.

    Google it... they are hardly hard to find.

    I am managing over 140 Macs as an aside to being an electronics Tech and
    now have just got rid of the last non-G3 machine, I have iMacs 7 years
    old running in a teaching environment running OSX 10.3.9, hooked into
    data loggers, etc, the 30 machines there took 8 hours to set up and
    required about 5 hours since for the various upgrades/patches to be
    installed.
    whoisthis, Mar 16, 2006
  17. Nova

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    RJ <> wrote:

    > In article <>, mer
    > says...
    > > In article <dv5fdl$pr0$>, "Mercury" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Nova" <> wrote in message

    > > > ...and throw away all that profit from the grossly overpriced hardware?

    > > What grossly over priced hardware ?
    > >
    > > Oh, wait yes, thats they FUD from 20 years ago.
    > >
    > > Never mind the fact that the TCO has been proven time and time again to
    > > be cheaper for the Mac than for a wintel machine

    > Thats because no one uses it.

    Wow, such lightning wit....
    whoisthis, Mar 16, 2006
  18. Nova

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <dv5sd6$i0a$>, "Mercury" <>
    wrote:

    > hmmm graphics card upgrades for a start.

    Yawn, sorry, I thought we were talking computers not games machines
    whoisthis, Mar 16, 2006