    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mike Dee, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Mike Dee wrote:
    >>It seems fairly rare from what I have read(this and a few other
    >>articles), but it is out there.

    > Does this mean Mac OS is gaining in popularity?

    nah, I read something the other day that said some jumped up Mac head
    was skiting about how secure OSx is, and so it has become more of a
    challenge.

    my wife wants one, well, a mac lappy.
    Im making her pay, and offering no support. :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >>>It seems fairly rare from what I have read(this and a few other
    >>>articles), but it is out there.

    >> Does this mean Mac OS is gaining in popularity?

    > nah, I read something the other day that said some jumped up Mac
    > head was skiting about how secure OSx is, and so it has become
    > more of a challenge.

    Still is a challenge, it seems the so-called malware would have to gain
    permission from root to install. It's not your average OE/IE VB script.

    > my wife wants one, well, a mac lappy.
    > Im making her pay, and offering no support. :)

    Mean bastard ;)

    --
    D.

    Mike Dee, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Mike Dee wrote:
    >>my wife wants one, well, a mac lappy.
    >>Im making her pay, and offering no support. :)

    > Mean bastard ;)

    unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself, I wont support it.
    Thats how I work.
    Thats how I got a palm.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >
    >> Mean bastard ;)

    > unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself, I wont support it.
    > Thats how I work.
    > Thats how I got a palm.

    Wo es Ermittlung gibt, gibt es eine Möglichkeit [Where there's a will,
    there's a way].
    So that's how it's done! - Say's Mike to self, entering Palm Tungsten
    into list of possible birthday pressies :)

    --
    D.

    Mike Dee, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    David Preece Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/25/mac_rootkit_opener/
    >
    > "One of the first pieces of malicious code targeting Apple's Mac OS X
    > operating system has been discovered.

    Perhaps it would be good to read some more?

    "Opener (AKA Renepo-A) is a shell script that can't be installed without
    admin privileges. It isn't spreading."

    So, you need admin privaleges and it can't spread itself. So technically
    a trojan then.

    "A thread on Macintouch reports an isolated example of a Mac user
    finding Opener on their system"

    One isolated example. Hardly on the scale of the Windows RPC bug, is it?
    That being said I do think Apple are starting to get a bit blasé.

    Dave

    David Preece, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    David Preece Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> my wife wants one [snip] offering no support. :)

    > unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself
    > Thats how I got a palm.

    My wife wants one, I won't support it until I can play with myself,
    that's how I got a palm.

    Am I reading this right? Is it ... ummm ... off topic?

    Dave

    David Preece, Oct 26, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:44:07 +1300, David Preece wrote:

    >> unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself
    >> Thats how I got a palm.

    > My wife wants one, I won't support it until I can play with myself,
    > that's how I got a palm.
    >
    > Am I reading this right? Is it ... ummm ... off topic?
    >
    > Dave

    It does say root kit in the subject.

    Bret, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Bret wrote:

    >>>unless/untill Im allowed to play with one myself
    >>>Thats how I got a palm.

    >>My wife wants one, I won't support it until I can play with myself,
    >>that's how I got a palm.

    >>Am I reading this right? Is it ... ummm ... off topic?

    > It does say root kit in the subject.

    heh, I really dont know how to respond to this other than I'll ask my
    wife... although I suspect she'll look rather confused even when I show
    her this.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:34:05 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>My wife wants one, I won't support it until I can play with myself,
    >>>that's how I got a palm.

    >>>Am I reading this right? Is it ... ummm ... off topic?

    >> It does say root kit in the subject.

    > heh, I really dont know how to respond to this other than I'll ask my
    > wife... although I suspect she'll look rather confused even when I show
    > her this.

    LOL

    Bret, Oct 26, 2004
  12. In article <xfnfd.23171$>,
    David Preece <> wrote:

    >... I won't support it until I can play with myself,
    >that's how I got a palm.

    Play with yourself ... palm? Not fist?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 28, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Damon Nomad Guest

    On , , Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:36:54 +1300, Re: OSx rootkit
    availible, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    wrote:

    >In article <xfnfd.23171$>,
    > David Preece <> wrote:
    >
    >>... I won't support it until I can play with myself,
    >>that's how I got a palm.

    >Play with yourself ... palm? Not fist?

    Mrs. Palm and her five daughters?

    Damon Nomad, Oct 28, 2004