Osprey returning to nest with dinner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me, Aug 5, 2012.

  1. me

    me Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/5/2012 11:22 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg

    > Nice, esp. the first one (other than the cropped wing tip).

    Nice capture. The first is a strong image. Shame the speakers get in the
    way. They make the shot ineligible as a PSA nature shot. Cloning them
    out would make the first a lot stronger, but if you decide to play,
    don't enter the image in a PSA competition.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 7, 2012

  3. me

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    : >>
    : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg
    : >
    :
    : Nice capture. The first is a strong image. Shame the speakers get in the
    : way. They make the shot ineligible as a PSA nature shot. Cloning them
    : out would make the first a lot stronger, but if you decide to play,
    : don't enter the image in a PSA competition.

    I don't understand that. I'm guessing that nobody told the ospreys to build
    their nest there. So why is it less natural than if it were in a tree or on a
    rock outcropping? It's probably a pretty good location: good visibility and
    easy to defend from all but airborne predators.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 7, 2012
  4. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/6/2012 10:09 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:39:05 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 8/5/2012 11:22 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > : > On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    > : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    > : >>
    > : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg
    > : >
    > : > Nice, esp. the first one (other than the cropped wing tip).
    > : >
    > :
    > : Nice capture. The first is a strong image. Shame the speakers get in the
    > : way. They make the shot ineligible as a PSA nature shot. Cloning them
    > : out would make the first a lot stronger, but if you decide to play,
    > : don't enter the image in a PSA competition.
    >
    > I don't understand that. I'm guessing that nobody told the ospreys to build
    > their nest there. So why is it less natural than if it were in a tree or on a
    > rock outcropping? It's probably a pretty good location: good visibility and
    > easy to defend from all but airborne predators.
    >
    > Bob

    I don't agree with that rule either. PSA is in transition, as are camera
    clubs. IIRC Tony Cooper's camera club only permits extensive editing in
    their creative category. My CC permits any amount of editing.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 7, 2012
  5. me

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:18:19 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/6/2012 10:09 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:39:05 -0400, PeterN <>
    >> wrote:
    >> : On 8/5/2012 11:22 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >> : > On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    >> : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    >> : >>
    >> : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg
    >> : >
    >> : > Nice, esp. the first one (other than the cropped wing tip).
    >> : >
    >> :
    >> : Nice capture. The first is a strong image. Shame the speakers get in the
    >> : way. They make the shot ineligible as a PSA nature shot. Cloning them
    >> : out would make the first a lot stronger, but if you decide to play,
    >> : don't enter the image in a PSA competition.
    >>
    >> I don't understand that. I'm guessing that nobody told the ospreys to build
    >> their nest there. So why is it less natural than if it were in a tree or on a
    >> rock outcropping? It's probably a pretty good location: good visibility and
    >> easy to defend from all but airborne predators.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    >I don't agree with that rule either. PSA is in transition, as are camera
    >clubs. IIRC Tony Cooper's camera club only permits extensive editing in
    >their creative category. My CC permits any amount of editing.

    If the PSA rules are in transition, no slack in the area of
    manipulation is apparent: "In the interest of credibility,
    photographs that misrepresent the truth, such as manipulation to alter
    the subject matter, or situations which are set up for the purpose of
    photography, are unacceptable in Photojournalism competition. No
    elements may be moved, cloned, added, deleted, rearranged or combined.
    No manipulation or modification is permitted except resizing,
    sharpening, cropping, selective lightening or darkening, and
    restoration or original color of the scene. No special effect filters
    can be applied. Any adjustments must appear natural."

    The top image - http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg would be
    accepted in the Color (non-creative) category at my CC with the
    speaker on the left cropped out of the image and the speaker on the
    right cloned out. That wouldn't be considered to be a change that
    significantly alters the image. If that fish in osprey's claws was
    from another image, that would be a clear example of significant
    alteration.

    I can't see anyone submitting the other image for competition or
    bothering to do a lot of post on it. It's a good catch for the
    photographer, but it's not a competition-worthy image.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 7, 2012
  6. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/7/2012 1:58 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:18:19 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/6/2012 10:09 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:39:05 -0400, PeterN <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> : On 8/5/2012 11:22 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> : > On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    >>> : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    >>> : >>
    >>> : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg
    >>> : >
    >>> : > Nice, esp. the first one (other than the cropped wing tip).
    >>> : >
    >>> :
    >>> : Nice capture. The first is a strong image. Shame the speakers get in the
    >>> : way. They make the shot ineligible as a PSA nature shot. Cloning them
    >>> : out would make the first a lot stronger, but if you decide to play,
    >>> : don't enter the image in a PSA competition.
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand that. I'm guessing that nobody told the ospreys to build
    >>> their nest there. So why is it less natural than if it were in a tree or on a
    >>> rock outcropping? It's probably a pretty good location: good visibility and
    >>> easy to defend from all but airborne predators.
    >>>
    >>> Bob
    >>>

    >> I don't agree with that rule either. PSA is in transition, as are camera
    >> clubs. IIRC Tony Cooper's camera club only permits extensive editing in
    >> their creative category. My CC permits any amount of editing.

    > If the PSA rules are in transition, no slack in the area of
    > manipulation is apparent: "In the interest of credibility,
    > photographs that misrepresent the truth, such as manipulation to alter
    > the subject matter, or situations which are set up for the purpose of
    > photography, are unacceptable in Photojournalism competition. No
    > elements may be moved, cloned, added, deleted, rearranged or combined.
    > No manipulation or modification is permitted except resizing,
    > sharpening, cropping, selective lightening or darkening, and
    > restoration or original color of the scene. No special effect filters
    > can be applied. Any adjustments must appear natural."
    >
    > The top image - http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg would be
    > accepted in the Color (non-creative) category at my CC with the
    > speaker on the left cropped out of the image and the speaker on the
    > right cloned out. That wouldn't be considered to be a change that
    > significantly alters the image. If that fish in osprey's claws was
    > from another image, that would be a clear example of significant
    > alteration.

    So would cloning out the speakers.
    When i made my comment, I was referring to the Nature Division, which
    currently has rules similar to those in the PJ division.
    The rule revisions referred to are related to the extent of permissible
    adjustments for exposure compensation, sharpness and blurring. I have
    heard noting about reality changes.

    PeterN, Aug 7, 2012
  7. me

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Aug 7, 2012
  8. On 8/7/2012 3:11 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 8/6/2012 7:57 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >> me wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    >>>
    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg

    >> I hope the speakers don't keep the chicks up.
    >>

    > In my younger days I would try to keep the chick up all night, if possible.
    > Wait, Oh! you mean THAT kind of chick.

    "Keep...up all night"; surely not!

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Aug 7, 2012
  9. me

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:11:12 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/7/2012 1:58 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:18:19 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I don't agree with that rule either. PSA is in transition, as are camera
    >>> clubs. IIRC Tony Cooper's camera club only permits extensive editing in
    >>> their creative category. My CC permits any amount of editing.

    >> If the PSA rules are in transition, no slack in the area of
    >> manipulation is apparent: "In the interest of credibility,
    >> photographs that misrepresent the truth, such as manipulation to alter
    >> the subject matter, or situations which are set up for the purpose of
    >> photography, are unacceptable in Photojournalism competition. No
    >> elements may be moved, cloned, added, deleted, rearranged or combined.
    >> No manipulation or modification is permitted except resizing,
    >> sharpening, cropping, selective lightening or darkening, and
    >> restoration or original color of the scene. No special effect filters
    >> can be applied. Any adjustments must appear natural."
    >>
    >> The top image - http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg would be
    >> accepted in the Color (non-creative) category at my CC with the
    >> speaker on the left cropped out of the image and the speaker on the
    >> right cloned out. That wouldn't be considered to be a change that
    >> significantly alters the image. If that fish in osprey's claws was
    >> from another image, that would be a clear example of significant
    >> alteration.

    >So would cloning out the speakers.

    I don't think you read my comment with understanding. I said that a)
    PSA has not relaxed the rules on cloning, but, b) my camera club's
    competitions would accept a version with the left speaker cropped out
    (no requirement for a standard ratio) and a clone of the right speaker
    (as the Duck did).

    The club rules are pretty much on the honor system. If the submitter
    doesn't think he/she significantly altered, it would pass.

    tony cooper, Aug 7, 2012
  10. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/7/2012 6:12 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:11:12 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/7/2012 1:58 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> If the PSA rules are in transition, no slack in the area of
    >>> manipulation is apparent: "In the interest of credibility,
    >>> photographs that misrepresent the truth, such as manipulation to alter
    >>> the subject matter, or situations which are set up for the purpose of
    >>> photography, are unacceptable in Photojournalism competition. No
    >>> elements may be moved, cloned, added, deleted, rearranged or combined.
    >>> No manipulation or modification is permitted except resizing,
    >>> sharpening, cropping, selective lightening or darkening, and
    >>> restoration or original color of the scene. No special effect filters
    >>> can be applied. Any adjustments must appear natural."
    >>>
    >>> The top image - http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg would be
    >>> accepted in the Color (non-creative) category at my CC with the
    >>> speaker on the left cropped out of the image and the speaker on the
    >>> right cloned out. That wouldn't be considered to be a change that
    >>> significantly alters the image. If that fish in osprey's claws was
    >>> from another image, that would be a clear example of significant
    >>> alteration.

    >> So would cloning out the speakers.

    > I don't think you read my comment with understanding. I said that a)
    > PSA has not relaxed the rules on cloning, but, b) my camera club's
    > competitions would accept a version with the left speaker cropped out
    > (no requirement for a standard ratio) and a clone of the right speaker
    > (as the Duck did)

    ..

    Then I certainly misunderstood, or forgot your statement about your
    club. However, the PSA now has a creative category that allows only
    images with "altered reality."

    <http://www.psa-photo.org/divisions/cpid/individual-creative-comp/>

    > The club rules are pretty much on the honor system. If the submitter
    > doesn't think he/she significantly altered, it would pass.

    There recently was a sick situation in another club, where a member
    submitted work that was not his, in a national competition. He would
    have been ranked the top shooter on LI, but was stripped of all his
    winnings. I call it "sick" because the grand prize was about $250.

    >> When i made my comment, I was referring to the Nature Division, which
    >> currently has rules similar to those in the PJ division.
    >> The rule revisions referred to are related to the extent of permissible
    >> adjustments for exposure compensation, sharpness and blurring. I have
    >> heard noting about reality changes.

    >>> I can't see anyone submitting the other image for competition or
    >>> bothering to do a lot of post on it. It's a good catch for the
    >>> photographer, but it's not a competition-worthy image.

    agreed.

    --

    PeterN
    PeterN, Aug 8, 2012
  11. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/7/2012 5:25 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 8/7/2012 3:11 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> I hope the speakers don't keep the chicks up.
    >>>

    >> In my younger days I would try to keep the chick up all night, if
    >> possible.
    >> Wait, Oh! you mean THAT kind of chick.
    >>

    > "Keep...up all night"; surely not!

    Well it now takes me all night to do once, what I used to do all night.
    (Journalistic latitude taken.)

    --

    PeterN
    PeterN, Aug 8, 2012
  12. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/7/2012 7:53 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-07 12:11:12 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 8/7/2012 1:58 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> If the PSA rules are in transition, no slack in the area of
    >>> manipulation is apparent: "In the interest of credibility,
    >>> photographs that misrepresent the truth, such as manipulation to alter
    >>> the subject matter, or situations which are set up for the purpose of
    >>> photography, are unacceptable in Photojournalism competition. No
    >>> elements may be moved, cloned, added, deleted, rearranged or combined.
    >>> No manipulation or modification is permitted except resizing,
    >>> sharpening, cropping, selective lightening or darkening, and
    >>> restoration or original color of the scene. No special effect filters
    >>> can be applied. Any adjustments must appear natural."
    >>>
    >>> The top image - http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg would be
    >>> accepted in the Color (non-creative) category at my CC with the
    >>> speaker on the left cropped out of the image and the speaker on the
    >>> right cloned out. That wouldn't be considered to be a change that
    >>> significantly alters the image. If that fish in osprey's claws was
    >>> from another image, that would be a clear example of significant
    >>> alteration.

    >> So would cloning out the speakers.
    >> When i made my comment, I was referring to the Nature Division, which
    >> currently has rules similar to those in the PJ division.
    >> The rule revisions referred to are related to the extent of
    >> permissible adjustments for exposure compensation, sharpness and
    >> blurring. I have heard noting about reality changes.

    > Damn! Are these CC fuddy-duddies trying to take the fun out of PS?
    > < http://db.tt/P4xMpAXa >

    No! They are trying to evolve. I'v repeated a prior link. We would not
    have to wait for the reality of your image to submit it in the proper
    PSA category.

    Well Done Image BTW, though the cloud on the right side is distracting.

    PeterN, Aug 8, 2012
  13. me

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:00:48 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-08 16:37 , Chemiker wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 09:21:42 -0400, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I didn't think they ate fish.

    >> One of the vernacular names for the osprey is the "fish hawk".

    >You did look at the link?

    Or not notice the reference was to "CC fuddy-duddies" (CC=camera club)

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 8, 2012
  14. me

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > : > On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    : > : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    : > : >>
    : > : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg
    : > : >
    : > : > Nice, esp. the first one (other than the cropped wing tip).
    : > : >
    : > :
[...]

    My comment wasn't intended to address the ethical or legal issues of editing.
    What I question is the notion that the speakers have to be cropped or cloned
    out. They were there before the birds were and are therefore part of the
    birds' natural environment. That they built their nest there - and are
    evidently willing to tolerate the noise - is interesting in its own right. A
    possibly related fact is that various birds of prey seem increasingly willing
    to consider developed areas of large cities to be a suitable habitat.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 9, 2012
  15. me

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:27:23 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:18:19 -0400, PeterN <>
    >wrote:
    >: On 8/6/2012 10:09 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >: > On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:39:05 -0400, PeterN <>
    >: > wrote:
    >: > : On 8/5/2012 11:22 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >: > : > On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    >: > : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    >: > : >>
    >: > : >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg
    >: > : >
    >: > : > Nice, esp. the first one (other than the cropped wing tip).
    >: > : >
    >: > :
    >: > : Nice capture. The first is a strong image. Shame the speakers get in the
    >: > : way. They make the shot ineligible as a PSA nature shot. Cloning them
    >: > : out would make the first a lot stronger, but if you decide to play,
    >: > : don't enter the image in a PSA competition.
    >: >
    >: > I don't understand that. I'm guessing that nobody told the ospreys to build
    >: > their nest there. So why is it less natural than if it were in a tree or on a
    >: > rock outcropping? It's probably a pretty good location: good visibility and
    >: > easy to defend from all but airborne predators.
    >: >
    >: > Bob
    >: >
    >:
    >: I don't agree with that rule either. PSA is in transition, as are camera
    >: clubs. IIRC Tony Cooper's camera club only permits extensive editing in
    >: their creative category. My CC permits any amount of editing.
    >
    >My comment wasn't intended to address the ethical or legal issues of editing.
    >What I question is the notion that the speakers have to be cropped or cloned
    >out.

    Depends. If you want a photograph of osprey in natural surroundings,
    and you don't care what those natural surrounds are, you don't need to
    crop or clone. However, if you think - as I do - that this particular
    set of natural surroundings provide too much of a distraction to the
    viewer then you have to crop and clone.

    As to the point of PSS or camera clubs, the photo with the natural
    surroundings as shown will be up against equally good captures of
    osprey without distracting factors.

    > They were there before the birds were and are therefore part of the
    >birds' natural environment. That they built their nest there - and are
    >evidently willing to tolerate the noise - is interesting in its own right. A
    >possibly related fact is that various birds of prey seem increasingly willing
    >to consider developed areas of large cities to be a suitable habitat.

    There are two places that are roughly the same distance from me where
    I know there are osprey nests. One is out on Lake Jesup and the other
    is the parking lot of a local shopping mall. The one on Lake Jesup is
    high up in a tall, dead tree. The one at the mall is atop a lighting
    tower. There are several small lakes near the mall that are the
    hunting ground of this osprey family.

    The most photographed osprey in this area live in a nest on a power
    pole that is near a multi-story parking garage in downtown Winter
    Park. Photographers can go the top of the parking garage and shoot
    down on the osprey nest. This area is so dotted with lakes that
    osprey are never far from one.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 9, 2012
  16. me

    me Guest

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:22:37 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-08-05 10:21 , me wrote:
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4947_1024.jpg
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/_DSC4950_1024.jpg

    >Nice, esp. the first one (other than the cropped wing tip).

    Thanks, was lucky to get even this having just pulled up in the
    adjoining parking lot for a late day meeting. It was all I could do to
    pull my gear from behind the driver's seat as I saw the osprey
    approaching the nest. As to others concern regarding noise these Voice
    of God speakers are part of the emergency communications systems on
    the field and not generally used. Can't same the same for similar
    setups next store at the local AFB which play music multiple times a
    day.
    me, Aug 9, 2012