    Messages:
    1
    Can any one tell me that if ospf and EIGRP both are configured in two routers and there are multiple path between tham, then which routing protocol will decide the best path and why?

    pbd27, Jun 15, 2009

  2. pbd27

    laf

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Hello,

    These two routing protocols have an administrative distance value which depends for each vendor; for Cisco: EIGRP will be always preferred, for other vendors it depends.

    Main idea is that the protocol with the lowest AD value will enter his route knowledge in the routing table, and all the traffic will move onto this. If the first routing protocol goes down, or it's stopped the other which is running already will be allowed to populate the routing table accordingly.

    laf, Jun 23, 2009

  3. pbd27

    sandhyashyamsundar

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    EIGRP is cisco proprietary. So, it doesn't work on other vendor's dedvices. When OSPF and EIGRP is configured on the same router, and both have paths to a destination, EIGRP will be chosen over OSPF, as it has lower AD.

    sandhyashyamsundar, Jul 4, 2009
  4. pbd27

    L8ians

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Messages:
    8
    administrative distance for
    EIGRP=90
    OSPF=110
    Since eigrp has a lesser administartive distance
    so,Eigrp will be chosen over ospf.

    L8ians, Jul 7, 2009
  5. pbd27

    mprasad079

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
    Messages:
    12
    Router will see AD and Metric to reach and install path accordingly.

    you can change distance and make OSPF as primary path. While forwarding, router will see close subnet and forward the packet.

    if router has eigrp /24, ospf /25 and rip /26 learning from different routing protocal, it wll chose /26 while forwarding the packet even though eigrp is having good AD

    mprasad079, Dec 30, 2012
  6. pbd27

    Denae84

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    I am extremely happy to read about moltivite.. I need to read about this completely..
    I'll share this info to my friends too..

    Denae84, Oct 13, 2013
  7. pbd27

    donglee

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Administrative distance is the feature that routers use in order to select the best path when there are two or more different routes to the same destination from two different routing protocols. Administrative distance defines the reliability of a routing protocol. Each routing protocol is prioritized in order of most to least reliable (believable) with the help of an administrative distance value.As we know,the AD value of EIGRP is 90, and ospf is 110, so eigrp will win if they both enable.

    donglee, Dec 15, 2013