OSPF and ISDN backup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by NetWorkMan, Nov 10, 2008.

  1. NetWorkMan

    NetWorkMan Guest

    Hi Guys,

    We have a network that uses ospf. We have two central sites that our
    site routers dial in thru ISDN for backup. I was wondering how many
    of you are running ospf over isdn (used as backup). How would I go
    about setting up ospf to run over isdn to work well. We are currently
    using floating static routes and use RIP ver 2 to redistrubute back to
    ospf when the rip routes show up (when primary circuit is down). I
    was wondering if there is a way to set this up using ospf instead of
    RIP. a while back we were using EIGRP and things were working great,
    ( isdn would kick in and routes would be there instantly, possibly
    becuase of EIGRP sucessor and feasable sucessor deal) but due to the
    carrier we were forced into OSPF.

    Let me know if you guys have any ideas or config expamples or web
    pages that would address my issue.

    Big thank you for all that respond.

    Thanks,
    NetWorkMan, Nov 10, 2008

  2. NetWorkMan

    pat Guest

    What does ISDN has to do with with? Once ISDN is up I think of it as piece
    of wire or a Circuit. Any protocol should be flow throught it. Can you ping
    across it?

    pat, Nov 10, 2008

  3. NetWorkMan

    Thrill5 Guest

    What difference does it make what protocol the carrier is using? Our WAN
    is MPLS and they only support BGP, but we still use EIGRP as our routing
    protocol (we redistribute between EIGRP and BGP when talking to the
    carriers), and we still use EIGRP for our ISDN backup.

    Thrill5, Nov 10, 2008
  4. NetWorkMan

    bod43 Guest

    On 10 Nov, 05:24, NetWorkMan <> wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > We have a network that uses ospf.  We have two central sites that our
    > site routers dial in thru ISDN for backup.  I was wondering how many
    > of you are running ospf over isdn (used as backup).  How would I go
    > about setting up ospf to run over isdn to work well.  We are currently
    > using floating static routes and use RIP ver 2 to redistrubute back to
    > ospf when the rip routes show up (when primary circuit is down).  I
    > was wondering if there is a way to set this up using ospf instead of
    > RIP.  a while back we were using EIGRP and things were working great,
    > ( isdn would kick in and routes would be there instantly, possibly
    > becuase of EIGRP sucessor and feasable sucessor deal) but due to the
    > carrier we were forced into OSPF.
    >
    > Let me know if you guys have any ideas or config expamples or web
    > pages that would address my issue.
    >
    > Big thank you for all that respond.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I have never done this however I seem to recall
    a couple of things.

    I am sure there are documents
    "OSPF over demand circuits".
    There you go -
    www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a8f.shtml

    Would just making the OSPF traffic
    un-"interesting" to the dialer work - on top of your
    floating static routes? i.e. exclude OSPF from the
    dialer list.
    Cant think why not - but I could well be wrong.

    To Pat - "What does ISDN has to do with with?"
    Well the usual plan is for the dialer to go down sometime:)
    bod43, Nov 10, 2008
  5. NetWorkMan

    alexd Guest

    pat wrote:

    > What does ISDN has to do with with? Once ISDN is up I think of it as
    > piece of wire or a Circuit. Any protocol should be flow throught it.

    Yes, any protocol /may/ be able to flow through it, but in this case, the
    ISDN circuit is a backup circuit, and as such, the OP may not want OSPF
    update packets to cause the circuit to come up and incur charges. Because
    there is a cost to the circuit being up, the OP only wants the circuit to
    come up when absolutely necessary.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:29:03 up 28 days, 1:20, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.11, 0.03
    alexd, Nov 12, 2008