ospf and isdn backup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Laurent, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Laurent

    Laurent Guest

    Hi !

    I have a question about a problem i have :

    first, a small ascii drawing :

    , more than 60 routers
    |via a single interf. dialer and dialer maps

    | |
    | |
    |....3640-(Pri)...isdn... |
    192.168.254.0 | (.1) \Bri0 | 175.144.0.0
    LAN | |1600.....| LAN
    | (.3) Ser0 |
    |....1600-Ser0....LL...../ |
    | |

    The 3640 router is the default gateway for the 192.168.254 lan, and all
    IPs and routes are statics.
    I have to backup the leased line between the two 1600 routers with an
    isdn backup. I thought it could be possible to use one of the B channel
    of the PRI interface on the 3640 router.

    I guess i can't do this without implementing first ospf.
    Well, but i don't want to implement ospf for all the 60 distants sites
    wich i reach via the PRI interface...

    I don't know very well ospf :(
    So... is it possible to implement ospf only for the links i need ?
    Will i have to modify a lot of things ?

    thanks...
    Laurent.

    Laurent, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Laurent

    Merv Guest

    You can use any dynamic routing protocol to accomlish this - OSPF,
    EIGRP or RIP

    you only have to run the dynamic routing protocol on the leased line
    between the two 1600's and you can use ISDN dial backup ( look at the
    IOS dialer watch feature) to be trigger by the 1600 that has the ISDN
    BRI interface. Thetrigger would be losing a route from the 1600 on the
    left in your diagram

    Merv, Mar 3, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    Merv <> wrote:

    >You can use any dynamic routing protocol to accomlish this - OSPF,
    >EIGRP or RIP
    >
    >you only have to run the dynamic routing protocol on the leased line
    >between the two 1600's and you can use ISDN dial backup ( look at the
    >IOS dialer watch feature) to be trigger by the 1600 that has the ISDN
    >BRI interface. Thetrigger would be losing a route from the 1600 on the
    >left in your diagram

    If the leased line is point to point (or you configure end-to-end
    keepalives if frame relay), you don't need to run a routing protocol
    at all. Just use dial on demand with a floating static route. You
    could even use "backup interface" but that makes ISDN testing much
    more difficult.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Mar 4, 2005