    The correct answer is three. (My opinion is two)
    Can anybody say me why???

    Ray

    Raimond Alpers, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Raimond Alpers

    group user Guest

    A layer communicates with itself as well as its neighbors.

    group user, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Raimond Alpers wrote:

    > I have a question about osi-model, that I don`t understand:
    > With how mnay other layers does a layer in the osi model generally
    > communicate????
    >
    > The correct answer is three. (My opinion is two)

    OSI model (in todays networking) is only a theoretical model. So in
    practical systems the result may vary, but in the theretical context
    you're right. A layer communicates within the layer with it's peer
    on the other side of the connection/network and only with two
    other layers (the upper layer and the layer below, unless, of course,
    it is the uppest (7th) or the lowest (1st) layer).

    BR,
    Sampsamatti

    Sampsamatti Tanner, Dec 19, 2003
  4. In article <brq7j3$l7q$06$-online.com>,
    Raimond Alpers <> wrote:
    >Hi!
    >I have a question about osi-model, that I don`t understand:
    >With how mnay other layers does a layer in the osi model generally
    >communicate????
    >
    >The correct answer is three. (My opinion is two)
    >Can anybody say me why???
    >
    >Ray

    The correct answer will depend upon exactly what the test writer
    defines as "other," "OSI model," and "communicate."

    "other" - is the same layer in a remote peer an "other" layer? If so,
    what if there are 500 remote peers?

    "OSI Model" - The original International Standard 7498 OSI model or
    the OSI model with all associated addenda. For example, when Network
    management was added every layer also directly communicates with the
    network management layer-7 entity, often shown as a vertical "layer."

    "communicate" - There is direct communications (as in an API or
    peer-to-peer protocol definition) and indirect communications (as when
    the physical layer detects a disconnect which is passed by the link
    layer up to the network layer to force an immediate reroute).

    As always, your mileage will vary. Unless you take the same class (or
    read the same book) used by the test writer, you don't stand a chance.
    After all, even the test writer recognized s/he was skating on thin
    ice with this question, evidenced by the additional qualification of
    "generally."
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Thanks for your comments. I see, this simple question can create a great
    area of correct answers.
    "Vincent C Jones" <> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:brv32e$37o$...

    Raimond Alpers, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Raimond Alpers

    Kirk Goins Guest

    Cisco reasoning on the test goes like this

    The Layer Above, The Layer Below and the SAME Layer at the destination

    Kirk Goins, Dec 19, 2003