    endings won best editing. What's with that?

    And is Charlize Theron the *real* first African American to win an
    Oscar?
    Justin, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Justin

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Justin <> wrote:

    > And is Charlize Theron the *real* first African American to win an
    > Oscar?

    Now, that WAS funny!

    (Perhaps not accurate, but...)

    I got 17 right, 6 wrong. Let me hasten to add, that these were my
    guesses, and NOT what I would have chosen.

    Of the 6 I got wrong, there were only 2 that really pissed me off:

    1) Best original screenplay. WHAT?!?!?!? Sofia Coppola???? That was
    a fucking appalling script. What there was of it that wasn't
    improvised.

    2) Cinematography. Come on. Be serious. All of the nominees weren't
    phenomenal, and as regular readers here will know...I was fairly
    underwhelmed by "Seabiscuit". But, that movie clearly had the best of
    those nominated.

    Other than that...I enjoyed Joe Roth's production. Other than the
    "Short Film" guys being "music-ed" off....despicable.

    And I was thrilled watching Peter Jackson. C'mon...he'd clearly had a
    couple of pints before hand. I was so hoping he'd lose it and rail
    against the world. ("King Kong", style!) Ah, well...
    Peter Briggs, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote on [Mon, 1 Mar 2004 05:25:02 +0000]:
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >> And is Charlize Theron the *real* first African American to win an
    >> Oscar?

    > Now, that WAS funny!
    >
    > (Perhaps not accurate, but...)
    >
    > I got 17 right, 6 wrong. Let me hasten to add, that these were my
    > guesses, and NOT what I would have chosen.
    >
    > Of the 6 I got wrong, there were only 2 that really pissed me off:
    >
    > 1) Best original screenplay. WHAT?!?!?!? Sofia Coppola???? That was
    > a fucking appalling script. What there was of it that wasn't
    > improvised.

    Why am I not surprised by your reaction?

    Well, Adapted Screenplay should also have gone to someone not LOTR.
    Justin, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Justin

    Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 05:30:08 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >> 1) Best original screenplay. WHAT?!?!?!? Sofia Coppola???? That was
    >> a fucking appalling script. What there was of it that wasn't
    >> improvised.

    I'm a fan of Lost in Translation but I also agree, the script is not
    its strong suit.

    >Why am I not surprised by your reaction?
    >
    >Well, Adapted Screenplay should also have gone to someone not LOTR.

    That's one award I didn't mind seeing LOTR winning. Other than that,
    be thankful that LOTR doesn't have any significant female parts,
    doesn't have parts who speak foreign languages. Otherwise, we will be
    spending the whole night hearing how great Peter Jackson is.
    , Mar 1, 2004
  5. Justin

    Andrew Venor Guest

    wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 05:30:08 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >

    >>>1) Best original screenplay. WHAT?!?!?!? Sofia Coppola???? That was
    >>>a fucking appalling script. What there was of it that wasn't
    >>>improvised.

    > I'm a fan of Lost in Translation but I also agree, the script is not
    > its strong suit.

    I guess Ms. Coppola received that award as a conciliation prize because
    Peter Jackson was the Academy's shoo-in for best director.

    >>Why am I not surprised by your reaction?
    >>
    >>Well, Adapted Screenplay should also have gone to someone not LOTR.

    > That's one award I didn't mind seeing LOTR winning. Other than that,
    > be thankful that LOTR doesn't have any significant female parts,
    > doesn't have parts who speak foreign languages. Otherwise, we will be
    > spending the whole night hearing how great Peter Jackson is.

    I guess the Elvish language parts didn't meet the Academy's
    qualifications for a foreign language. ;-)

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Justin

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 05:30:08 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >Well, Adapted Screenplay should also have gone to someone not LOTR.

    Why? It's difficult to read LotR as it is due to the use of language.
    Actually making a movie out of that took a lot of work.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
    Impmon, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Justin

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Justin, says...

    > So, a movie with 2 and a half minutes of hugging and slumber partying and 8
    > endings won best editing. What's with that?

    I'm with you on that one. I turned to my wife and said "how does a movie
    that goes on nearly forever and doesn't know when to end win best
    editing".

    The other big error - best song to that peice of fluff end title song
    from ROTK sung by the talentless one of the two people in the
    Eurithmics. What a travesty.
    Mark Spatny, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Justin

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Oh, and I thought Tim Robbins should have been nominated for, and won,
    BEST actor, not SUPPORTING actor. In my opinion, he was much better in
    Mystic River than Sean Penn.
    Mark Spatny, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Justin

    jayembee Guest

    Mark Spatny <> wrote:

    >The other big error - best song to that peice of fluff end title song
    >from ROTK sung by the talentless one of the two people in the
    >Eurithmics. What a travesty.

    I agree with you that the song shouldn't have one.

    I disagree -- *vehemently* -- with you about Annie Lennox being
    talentless.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Justin

    luminos Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > Justin, says...
    > >
    > > So, a movie with 2 and a half minutes of hugging and slumber partying

    and 8
    > > endings won best editing. What's with that?

    > I'm with you on that one. I turned to my wife and said "how does a movie
    > that goes on nearly forever and doesn't know when to end win best
    > editing".
    >
    > The other big error - best song to that peice of fluff end title song
    > from ROTK sung by the talentless one of the two people in the
    > Eurithmics. What a travesty.

    Totally right, Mark.
    luminos, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Justin

    luminos Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Spatny <> wrote:
    >
    > >The other big error - best song to that peice of fluff end title song
    > >from ROTK sung by the talentless one of the two people in the
    > >Eurithmics. What a travesty.

    > I agree with you that the song shouldn't have one.
    >
    > I disagree -- *vehemently* -- with you about Annie Lennox being
    > talentless.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    When she finds the correct pitch once, let us know.
    luminos, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Justin

    Rick Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message

    > So, a movie with 2 and a half minutes of hugging and slumber partying and

    8
    > endings won best editing. What's with that?

    Judges with more patience than you?
    Rick, Mar 1, 2004
  13. Justin

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > And I was thrilled watching Peter Jackson. C'mon...he'd clearly had a
    > couple of pints before hand. I was so hoping he'd lose it and rail
    > against the world. ("King Kong", style!) Ah, well...

    Do they not have showers in New Zealand? Or combs? Fer chrissake, could
    the guy at least learn how to tuck his shirt in?
    Joshua Zyber, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Justin

    Eric R. Guest

    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote in message

    > 1) Best original screenplay. WHAT?!?!?!? Sofia Coppola???? That was
    > a fucking appalling script. What there was of it that wasn't
    > improvised.

    The only reason that ditz won was because of her father (who probably
    actually wrote the script anyway) and Bill Murray's performance. Does
    anyone really think that a ditz, who can barely string together a
    coherant sentence when she speaks, actually DESERVED this award
    herself?

    I just wish Billy Crystal had the guts to bring up Godfather III when
    he was doing his little ode to her at the beginning. But, then again,
    the film was realeased in 1990. None of Crystal's material moved past
    1980.

    > And I was thrilled watching Peter Jackson. C'mon...he'd clearly had a
    > couple of pints before hand. I was so hoping he'd lose it and rail
    > against the world. ("King Kong", style!) Ah, well...

    Is it just me, or have Australia and New Zealand invaded this country
    without firing a shot?

    -Eric
    Eric R., Mar 1, 2004
  15. Justin

    Eric R. Guest

    Mark Spatny <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I'm with you on that one. I turned to my wife and said "how does a movie
    > that goes on nearly forever and doesn't know when to end win best
    > editing".

    I think most Academy members just went down the ballot and checked off
    "Lord of the Rings" by default.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Mar 1, 2004
  16. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Mark Spatny wrote on [Mon, 01 Mar 2004 06:59:09 GMT]:
    > Justin, says...
    >>
    >> So, a movie with 2 and a half minutes of hugging and slumber partying and 8
    >> endings won best editing. What's with that?

    > I'm with you on that one. I turned to my wife and said "how does a movie
    > that goes on nearly forever and doesn't know when to end win best
    > editing".
    >
    > The other big error - best song to that peice of fluff end title song
    > from ROTK sung by the talentless one of the two people in the
    > Eurithmics. What a travesty.

    Yes. Of course, most of the songs this year put me to sleep.
    Justin, Mar 1, 2004
  17. Justin

    jayembee Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote:

    >"jayembee" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I disagree -- *vehemently* -- with you about Annie Lennox being
    >>talentless.

    >When she finds the correct pitch once, let us know.

    Tell you what. You give me examples of where she is *not* in pitch.
    It'll be a shorter list.

    I'll agree that her performance of the "Into the West" -- both on the
    Oscar show and in the movie itself -- wasn't anything to write home
    about, but virtually everything she did in Eurythmics was spot on.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Mar 1, 2004
  18. Eric R. discovers the quiet conspiracy with:

    > Is it just me, or have Australia and New Zealand invaded this country
    > without firing a shot?
    >
    > -Eric

    You only just noticed?...

    Look around you mate - we're *everywhere*...

    Max Christoffersen
    Max Christoffersen, Mar 1, 2004
  19. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Max Christoffersen wrote on [Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:31:13 +1300]:
    > Eric R. discovers the quiet conspiracy with:
    >
    >> Is it just me, or have Australia and New Zealand invaded this country
    >> without firing a shot?
    >>
    >> -Eric

    > You only just noticed?...
    >
    > Look around you mate - we're *everywhere*...

    goddam Kiwis

    Yes, we're everywhere.
    Justin, Mar 1, 2004
  20. > I'll agree that her performance of the "Into the West" -- both on the
    > Oscar show and in the movie itself -- wasn't anything to write home
    > about, but virtually everything she did in Eurythmics was spot on.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    Should have been sung by Kiwi Haley Westenra.

    Max Christoffersen
    Max Christoffersen, Mar 1, 2004