  1. What flick won best pic in the year that Moulin Rouge came out?

    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
    MarkZimmerman, Oct 25, 2003

  2. MarkZimmerman

    jayembee Guest

    (MarkZimmerman) wrote:

    >What flick won best pic in the year that Moulin Rouge came out?

    Why not look it up yourself at the IMDb?

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 25, 2003

  3. MarkZimmerman wrote:

    > What flick won best pic in the year that Moulin Rouge came out?

    One of the four heterosexual nominees.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Oct 25, 2003
  4. MarkZimmerman

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "MarkZimmerman" <> wrote in message
    > What flick won best pic in the year that Moulin Rouge came out?

    Does it matter? Any other movie that was released that year would have
    been more qualified.
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 26, 2003
  5. MarkZimmerman

    Guest

    , Oct 26, 2003
  6. wrote:

    > MarkZimmerman wrote:
    >
    >> What flick won best pic in the year that Moulin Rouge came out?
    >>
    >> Best,
    >>
    >> Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    > Great Creative Film. Opposed by contrarians everywhere. "A Beautiful
    > Mind" Won.

    ....The year that Fellowship of the Ring won everything else.

    But then, that's always the way with strategically WRONG Best Picture
    decisions--The real statistics end up lost to history:
    Go ahead, without peeking, what film won the year "The Right Stuff" was
    scared off by John Glenn publicity?...Okay, how about "The Color
    Purple"'s NAACP whines?

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Oct 26, 2003
  7. wrote:
    > MarkZimmerman wrote:
    >
    >> What flick won best pic in the year that Moulin Rouge came out?
    >>
    >> Best,
    >>
    >> Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    > Great Creative Film. Opposed by contrarians everywhere.

    Or just by people who appreciate good cinema.
    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 26, 2003
  8. MarkZimmerman

    The Bradleys Guest

    > But then, that's always the way with strategically WRONG Best Picture
    > decisions--The real statistics end up lost to history:
    > Go ahead, without peeking, what film won the year "The Right Stuff" was
    > scared off by John Glenn publicity?...Okay, how about "The Color
    > Purple"'s NAACP whines?
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    I know the second one I think. Wasn't that the year that the boring Out
    of Africa won almost everything screwing the Color Purple in the process.

    But your point is well made regardless if I am right or not. There are
    mnay time the "best" picture gets passed over and even some where the "best"
    picture does not even get the nomination. There cant be too many people on
    here who dont recognize the Oscars political shortcomings.
    The Bradleys, Oct 26, 2003
  9. The Bradleys wrote:

    >>But then, that's always the way with strategically WRONG Best Picture
    >>decisions--The real statistics end up lost to history:
    >>Go ahead, without peeking, what film won the year "The Right Stuff" was
    >>scared off by John Glenn publicity?...Okay, how about "The Color
    >>Purple"'s NAACP whines?

    > I know the second one I think. Wasn't that the year that the boring Out
    > of Africa won almost everything screwing the Color Purple in the process.
    >
    > But your point is well made regardless if I am right or not. There are
    > mnay time the "best" picture gets passed over and even some where the "best"
    > picture does not even get the nomination. There cant be too many people on
    > here who dont recognize the Oscars political shortcomings.

    (Although, granted, I was referring to "Fellowship" losing out, and that
    it was especially gratifying watching "Chicago" *earn* the "bring back
    the musical!" award that "Moulin" couldn't con/hype its way into.) :)

    Derek Jansen
    Derek Janssen, Oct 26, 2003
  10. >Why not look it up yourself at the IMDb?

    >-- jayembee

    Ok, so what's IMDb and how to I find it?

    MarkZimmerman, Oct 26, 2003
  11. MarkZimmerman

    www.imdb.com
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 26, 2003
  12. MarkZimmerman

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > it was especially gratifying watching "Chicago" *earn* the "bring back
    > the musical!" award that "Moulin" couldn't con/hype its way into.) :)

    Hear, hear!
    Peter Briggs, Oct 26, 2003
  13. MarkZimmerman

    Guest

    wrote:
    > MarkZimmerman wrote:
    >
    >> What flick won best pic in the year that Moulin Rouge came out?
    >>
    >> Best,
    >>
    >> Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    > Great Creative Film. Opposed by contrarians everywhere. "A Beautiful
    > Mind" Won. Here's a link
    >
    > http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Academy_Awards_USA/2002
    >
    > Mike

    I shouldn't have made the contrarians remark. Everyone's entitled to
    their opinions, of course.
    When I see Moulin Rouge or Titanic or Forrest Gump or A.I. in a thread,
    I know what the usual response is. These are films that I think were
    well done (except for the writing in Titanic. Cliched, but really not
    bad if you're a twelve year old. The more veteran (jaded?) viewer has
    seen the cardboard villain and all the rest too many times.)
    Anyway, If this were avsforum I would edit it out. As it is I simply
    state: "Oops - bad form on my part."

    Mike
    , Oct 27, 2003
  14. MarkZimmerman

    Ray M Guest

    > But your point is well made regardless if I am right or not. There are
    > mnay time the "best" picture gets passed over and even some where the

    "best"
    > picture does not even get the nomination. There cant be too many people on
    > here who dont recognize the Oscars political shortcomings.

    Rocky over Taxi Driver
    Ordinary People over Raging Bull
    Dance With Wolves over Goodfellas

    I rest my case.

    Ray M, Oct 27, 2003
  15. Ray M wrote:

    >>But your point is well made regardless if I am right or not. There are
    >>mnay time the "best" picture gets passed over and even some where the

    > "best"
    >
    >>picture does not even get the nomination. There cant be too many people on
    >>here who dont recognize the Oscars political shortcomings.

    > Rocky over Taxi Driver
    > Ordinary People over Raging Bull
    > Dance With Wolves over Goodfellas
    >
    > I rest my case.

    Yes, but the movies which won made more than the losers, which, of
    course, is what the Oscars are really all about and all you could expect
    from an industry association award. I'm constantly surprised that
    people actually expect *good* films to win one of these things.

    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 27, 2003
  16. MarkZimmerman

    Rogers News Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > The Bradleys wrote:
    >
    > >>But then, that's always the way with strategically WRONG Best Picture
    > >>decisions--The real statistics end up lost to history:
    > >>Go ahead, without peeking, what film won the year "The Right Stuff" was
    > >>scared off by John Glenn publicity?...Okay, how about "The Color
    > >>Purple"'s NAACP whines?

    > > I know the second one I think. Wasn't that the year that the boring

    Out
    > > of Africa won almost everything screwing the Color Purple in the

    process.

    > > But your point is well made regardless if I am right or not. There

    are
    > > mnay time the "best" picture gets passed over and even some where the

    "best"
    > > picture does not even get the nomination. There cant be too many people

    on
    > > here who dont recognize the Oscars political shortcomings.

    > (Although, granted, I was referring to "Fellowship" losing out, and that
    > it was especially gratifying watching "Chicago" *earn* the "bring back
    > the musical!" award that "Moulin" couldn't con/hype its way into.) :)
    >
    > Derek Jansen

    Nichole Kidman was great in Rouge. You could watch her for hours. I wouldn't
    mind having Nichole over to my place to help re grout the tub (or whatever
    gets her turned on enough to visit). I might offer her some take out or
    discuss the patern configuration of my Sklar Pepplar couch. I might even
    dare to ask her if she buys any of her furniture at WalMart. Mr. Rogers to
    the kids , "can you say cheap shitty particle board with improperly sized
    connector pegs you have to push into poorly drilled holes" .

    My impression about Nichole and Tom was that Tom just didn't know enough
    about power tools, handy man stuff and how to have sex as a heterosexual
    impish male who could otherwise get tang when ever he wants. He didn't
    satisfy her needs and would'nt have a clue what drillbit set to buy Nickie.

    Speaking of Tom's low flying pecker woods, One day after Stanley Kubrick
    was spanking himself while watching the Eyes Wide Shut dailies, Tom walked
    in the room and commented, "yeah, my jimmy pole is 10 degrees too low during
    the big climax". What he meant to say was, "the boom mic was too low",
    during that final pivotol conclusion to the films story of sordid afairs,
    where Nichole says "maybe we should ****". That last line was Stanley's
    idea.
    Rogers News, Nov 30, 2003