    Allan Guest

    http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12740,00.html?tnews

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Allan

    anthony Guest

    But will the videos they send out be widescreen or pan-and-scan?
    That's the really burning question!

    anthony, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Keenan Clay Wilkie, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Allan

    Eric R. Guest

    Allan <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12740,00.html?tnews

    The subject line of this post is incorrect. If you read the article,
    you'll see that the MPAA will be sending out VHS screeners only. They
    have not lifted the ban on DVD screeners.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 22, 2003
  5. Allan

    Richard C. Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    : But will the videos they send out be widescreen or pan-and-scan?
    : That's the really burning question!

    ==========================
    You have to be kidding!

    They really make decisions based on a non-theatrical version of the movie?

    How can they POSSIBLY make decisions based on a non-AOR viewing
    .........especially things like cinematography, etc............

    Richard C., Oct 22, 2003
  6. Allan

    JohnW248 Guest

    In article <3f9690e4$0$8281$>, "Richard C."
    <> writes:

    >How can they POSSIBLY make decisions based on a non-AOR viewing
    >........especially things like cinematography, etc............

    Voting in special areas is restricted to members in that category. Do you think
    that Cinematographers are going to judge based on a VHS tape? I don't think so.

    Where this really matters is in small pictures and documentaries where voting
    is restricted to people who have seen the picture. In the olden days, members
    had to attend screening at the Academy or at selected theatres which meant
    voting was restricted to members able to attend screenings in Los Angeles or
    New York.

    John

    JohnW248, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Allan

    Richard C. Guest

    : <> writes:
    :
    : >How can they POSSIBLY make decisions based on a non-AOR viewing
    : >........especially things like cinematography, etc............
    :
    : Voting in special areas is restricted to members in that category. Do you think
    : that Cinematographers are going to judge based on a VHS tape? I don't think so.
    :
    : Where this really matters is in small pictures and documentaries where voting
    : is restricted to people who have seen the picture. In the olden days, members
    : had to attend screening at the Academy or at selected theatres which meant
    : voting was restricted to members able to attend screenings in Los Angeles or
    : New York.
    :
    ===================
    My point still is: How can ANY aspect of a movie be properly judged in non-OAR?
    =====================

    Richard C., Oct 23, 2003
  8. Allan

    jayembee Guest

    (JohnW248) wrote:

    > Voting in special areas is restricted to members in that category.

    That depends on what you mean by "special areas". Contrary to
    popular belief, voting in a given category is *not* restricted
    only to Academy members that fit that category. That is, voting
    for cinematographers is not restricted to cinematographers,
    voting for writers is not restricted to writers, etc.

    *Nominations* are restricted to members of the relevant disciplines,
    but the final ballot voting for most categories is open to the
    entire Academy membership. The only exceptions are such categories
    as Best Foreign Language Film, Best Short Film, Best Short
    Documentary, Best Documentary Feature, etc.

    > Do you think that Cinematographers are going to judge based
    > on a VHS tape? I don't think so.

    I don't either, but that's a separate issue.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Allan

    jayembee Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote:

    > My point still is: How can ANY aspect of a movie be properly
    > judged in non-OAR?

    Easily, depending on the particular aspect. For some categories
    (direction, cinematography, production design, for examples),
    yes, OAR is a necessity.

    But surely writing, acting, costuming, and musical scoring
    (to name four) can be reasonably judged even from a pan-&-scan
    copy of a film.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 23, 2003
  10. jayembee <> wrote:

    > ...surely writing, acting, costuming, and musical scoring
    > (to name four) can be reasonably judged even from a pan-&-scan
    > copy of a film.

    True in many cases, probably, but pity the nominated supporting actor
    who gets consistently cut out of the P&S framing in favour of the
    film's big star.

    doug

    --

    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

    Douglas Bailey, Oct 23, 2003