    "Darwin" and asks for login, which I cannot get past.

    Any ideas??

    Thanks!
    Mark Lancaster, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Mark Lancaster

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:20:31 +0000 (UTC), Mark Lancaster
    <> wrote:

    >Hey my Mac OS X laptop won't start up. It has something to do with
    >"Darwin" and asks for login, which I cannot get past.

    Is it 'yours' or did you just get it from someone?

    Darwin is the shell interface for OS X. Ask the person you got it from
    for the login / password.
    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Mark Lancaster wrote:
    > Hey my Mac OS X laptop won't start up. It has something to do with
    > "Darwin" and asks for login, which I cannot get past.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Thanks!

    Who did you steal it from? Or did it fall off a truck?

    --
    Alfie
    It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide.
    Alfred E. Neumann, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Mark Lancaster

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns96D74AB78164Fathlonatghloncom@213.155.197.138>, Mark
    Lancaster <> wrote:

    > Hey my Mac OS X laptop won't start up. It has something to do with
    > "Darwin" and asks for login, which I cannot get past.

    I suspect it is set up deliberately for that; you will have to use the
    password.
    Failing that, you can start up from another device and use the
    applications on it. you just won't be able to get to the user files of
    the name you needed.
    You also have the option of reformatting the drive, but you'll need a
    system disc to install a new OS. You would lose everything on the
    drive.
    Mitch, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Mark Lancaster

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:20:31 +0000 (UTC), Mark Lancaster wrote:

    >Hey my Mac OS X laptop won't start up. It has something to do with

    It does startup, you are asked for a login.

    This happens with many different OS's.

    >"Darwin" and asks for login, which I cannot get past.
    >
    >Any ideas??

    Ask the system administrator.

    >Thanks!

    Me
    why?, Sep 20, 2005
  6. "Mark Lancaster" <> wrote in message
    > Hey my Mac OS X laptop won't start up. It has something to do with
    > "Darwin" and asks for login, which I cannot get past.

    If the Mac didn't startup, you wouldn't get a login prompt. You got a login
    prompt so the operating system DID startup (and its sits there waiting for
    you to login).

    "Cannot get past [the login]." So what does that mean? That you sit there
    waiting for the login credentials to auto-magically get entered, that you
    think you are entering the correct credentials but it won't accept them,
    that you don't know what they are, or that it pokes you in the eye while you
    are typing them in? Peck in the characters one at a time to ensure you are
    entering them correctly. Check you do NOT have the capslock on (or maybe
    you have a stuck shift key). If you don't know the password, you aren't
    going to get past the login prompt. Instead signon under an administrator
    account so you can reset the password for the account under which you are
    attempting to log under. What, no admin login credentials? Well, then you
    got a used system or one setup by someone else, so ask that someone else to
    give you admin rights or have them reset your account's password. If they
    won't give them to you, they are holding your OS hostage, presuming they
    really included the OS with the computer.

    If you don't know the password, and neither does anyone else, then you get
    to reinstall the operating system. If you didn't get the install media with
    the used computer then it didn't come with a legal copy of the operating
    system and all you got was the hardware. I don't recall seeing a link at
    Apple's web site for a free copy of OS X.
    Vanguard \(NPI\), Sep 20, 2005