OS wont boot on my SATA hard drive. . . .

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boaby, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Boaby

    Boaby Guest

    Hello, folks.

    I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
    an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
    process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
    can only summarize two things.

    1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
    is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.

    2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
    backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
    really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
    has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?

    How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
    partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted
    computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
    on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.

    The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
    does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
    fix the problem.

    If there is anyone out there that know how to fix OS issues on SATA hard
    drives. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Boaby, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Boaby

    Noel Paton Guest

    You should be able to get to the recovery console from a CD boot - make sure
    that you have the SATA driver floppy handy! (you may not need it if the SATA
    is configured to run in IDE Emulation mode)
    when there, type the command

    fixboot

    then remove the CD, and reboot

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Boaby wrote:

    > Hello, folks.
    >
    > I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
    > an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
    > process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
    > can only summarize two things.
    >
    > 1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
    > is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.
    >
    > 2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
    > backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
    > really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
    > has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?
    >
    > How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
    > partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted
    > computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
    > on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.

    Maybe you should not have used partition magic for that - most recent linux
    installs do manage partitioning fairly well, including to preserve a
    previously existing windows.

    > The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
    > does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
    > fix the problem.

    Boot from the linux install cd in rescue mode, or use knoppix. That way you
    may even get your most important data off to a usb stick/drive.
    Then come back with the output of "fdisk -l" and the contents of your
    boot.ini from windows (you can read it from linux). Make sure, your bios is
    set to "lba" for the sata harddrive.
    Btw., you didn't even yet attempt to install linux, the disaster happened
    after partition magic did it's havoc?
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Boaby

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:50:57 GMT, Boaby wrote:

    >Hello, folks.
    >
    >I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
    >an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
    >process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
    >can only summarize two things.
    >
    >1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
    >is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.

    The MBR is a pointer to the OS to boot. It failed how , didn't work i.e.
    wouldn't run or didn't fix the mbr?

    Try www.bootdisk.com , there are oftem pointers in past poss to there.

    So the Linux bit doesn't boot , you didn't get that far?

    >2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
    >backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
    >really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
    >has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?

    It's easier not to try and fix this.

    >How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
    >partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted

    Doesn't that have a save / undo action?

    >computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
    >on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.

    It happens. It's easier to

    a) Use a Live Linux distro, this boot from CD/DVD and only uses some
    temp space on the Windows disk. You don't need to install Linux, and can
    see which distro detects and works best with your hardware.

    See past posts for the names and opinions on those mentioned.

    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk&q=linux live cd

    b) keep free space on the disk.

    c) add another disk for Linux.

    d) for a while until I had spare PC, I didn't use the LILO/Grub loader
    but made a boot floppy for Linux, this leaves the Windows / normal MBR
    untouched. Do make several spares of the floppy :)

    >The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
    >does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
    >fix the problem.

    Always boot from a IDE disk, configured in the BIOS. This gives an out
    to allow system booting. You can put in as many other types of USB /
    SATA /SCSI disks as you like after that.

    >If there is anyone out there that know how to fix OS issues on SATA hard
    >drives. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

    I wouldn't bother, more so as you said there is nothing valuable on
    there. Otherwise to possibly recover data www.runtime.org and
    getdataback for ntfs. Other apps mentioned in past posts.

    Then get a good disk imager app.

    Me
    why?, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Boaby

    Guest

    Hello,

    I recommend you trying Partition Recovery tool to see, if you can bring
    lost partitions back. The tool is mighty indeed, it never failed me
    before, so it is a really good chance for you. The tool can be found on
    a data tools set CD image, Active@ Boot Disk. That set also posses
    other really mighty utils for data recovery, erase and backup. You
    should definately try it out.

    http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm
    , Feb 7, 2006
  6. Boaby

    why? Guest

    On 6 Feb 2006 20:21:19 -0800, wrote:

    Hello,

    >Hello,
    >

    >I recommend you trying Partition Recovery tool to see, if you can bring
    >lost partitions back. The tool is mighty indeed, it never failed me

    I don't have any missing partitions.

    If you are trying to help the OP, you should reply directly to the post
    from the OP.

    Otherwise you are hoping the OP will read all the posts, including
    replies not to them.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Boaby

    SJP Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > Boaby wrote:
    >> Hello, folks.

    Kevin is May not June....check the date on your PC
    SJP, May 3, 2006
  8. Boaby

    Kevin Guest

    Boaby wrote:
    > Hello, folks.
    >
    > I have a problem with my Windows XP Professional operating system. I get
    > an error message every time when my PC is going through its normal boot
    > process. The error message displays: 'Error loading operating system' I
    > can only summarize two things.
    >
    > 1. My master boot record is corrupted. In this case, all you have to do
    > is use windows recovery console and issue - fixmbr command - failed.
    >
    > 2. My partition table is lost. In this case, i buggered. I don't have a
    > backup copy of my data. There is nothing valuable on my PC. So it not
    > really a problem. Just want to save time than reinstalling the OS. There
    > has to be a way to fix this, isn't there?
    >
    > How did this problem occurred? Well it was my fault. I was using
    > partition magic 8. I was creating partitions for Linux, rebooted
    > computer and lo and behold - 'Error loading operating system' appeared
    > on my screen. Which shows you I am a complete newbie to this.
    >
    > The snag is. I am using a SATA hard drive. Windows diagnostics utilities
    > does not see my hard drive, so i cant really use my diagnostics tools to
    > fix the problem.
    >
    > If there is anyone out there that know how to fix OS issues on SATA hard
    > drives. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

    First I must assume that your system was working properly before you
    used the partition magic, if that was the case, I must guessed that you
    ma have deleted your system partition.
    Now to install lenux on your system reinstall windows ,thn and only then
    install Linux. If you have any problem installing any system Just drop
    me a link.
    Have a good day. and don't wase time waiting around to fix something
    on your own, as long as their is no important data on your system go
    ahead and try a few things on your own.
    Kevin, Jun 2, 2006