    for someone who is not technically advanced?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym9i?=, Aug 18, 2007

  2. If you can reboot and get into the bios, set the 1st boot to CD and load your
    OS disc. Wether it be XP or vista X64, both give you the choice or upgrade or
    fresh install. Choose upgrade and ONLY windows is installed leaving your
    files intact.

    =?Utf-8?B?cGhhdDI4dnI2?=, Aug 18, 2007

  3. If you are using a Dell OEM disk, you don't have a parallel option. If
    you're using a retail disk, yes, you can install to a different drive and
    pull your data off. But if you have a retail disk, I'd suggest doing a
    "repair install" (google for details). This should correct the problem AND
    preserve your data.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Ahem. . .I don't know about Dell, but my OEM has the Repair option as well.

    (Good choice!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Dell, so far as I know, doesn't ship a full OEM install disk - just a
    "repair" disk that actually blows away everything on the disk! Not my idea
    of a repair option!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 19, 2007
  6. I heard a Linguist once proclaiming 'Language is an organic entity, like the
    same basic ingredients in a dough can form many different types of bread'.
    Laurie Anderson, proclaimed that 'Language is a virus from outer space' - I
    don't know, but it sure is flexible!

    Initially, I am chocked. Then I find I am only moderately surprised!

    Tony. . .

    > Dell, so far as I know, doesn't ship a full OEM install disk - just a
    > "repair" disk that actually blows away everything on the disk! Not my idea
    > of a repair option!
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Ahem. . .I don't know about Dell, but my OEM has the Repair option as
    > > well.
    > >
    > > (Good choice!)
    > >
    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Aug 20, 2007
  7. They're not the only ones, I'm afraid. It's my single biggest complaint
    about the major OEMs - they refuse to let you do things your way, it has to
    be their way. I will give Dell one accolade, however. Their support website
    makes it easy to get the right drivers without knowing anything about the
    box except the service number, which is clearly visible on the outside. THAT
    is how everyone should do it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 20, 2007