    Any ideas what causes this ??

    /start Mode "Google"

    TIA :)
    XPD, Apr 11, 2007

  2. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Havent googled yet.....
    >
    > Come across a couple of systems running XP (Home and Pro with SP2) which
    > start to boot, get to the XP logo, then restart - trying via Safe Mode,
    > VGA etc does the same thing.
    > So far, you'd expect the OS to be "ok" as such because the OS menu is
    > present, and it is showing the XP logo . Driver issue maybe...... ? No...
    > ?
    > Try a Windows Repair from the OS cd anyway, to find that the CD dosent
    > actually acknowledge an OS being present and wants to do a complete new
    > install. Viewing the drive contents via a self booting disk, the drive is
    > readable with all files present etc.

    Found references to this sort of problem and a missing/corrupt hal.dll - so
    I checked for the file on the system in question... found the issue -
    Nothing in the Windows dir except Uninstall information :-/
    Weird.... ghost and install time :)
    XPD, Apr 11, 2007

  3. XPD

    Dogboy Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >> Havent googled yet.....
    >>
    >> Come across a couple of systems running XP (Home and Pro with SP2) which
    >> start to boot, get to the XP logo, then restart - trying via Safe Mode,
    >> VGA etc does the same thing.
    >> So far, you'd expect the OS to be "ok" as such because the OS menu is
    >> present, and it is showing the XP logo . Driver issue maybe...... ? No...
    >> ?

    When a system auto-restarts at startup often its blue-screening with the
    auto-restart option checked in system options. Bit of a pain in the
    arse because you usually cant make out what the blue screen is, it
    happens so quickly.

    Get into Recovery console from your windows XP boot CD and do a Chkdsk
    c: (or whatever drive it is), that will sort out the problem 30-40% of
    the time perhaps.

    Failing that a Repair install, but you must have the exact version disk
    your trying to repair (ie Home/Pro), failing that (and it does fail
    sometimes) full reinstall.

    The windows logo doesn't mean much in terms of how far the OS has
    loaded, your system can be almost completely hosed and you would still
    get the windows logo.
    Dogboy, Apr 11, 2007
  4. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:31:22 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > Havent googled yet.....
    >
    > Come across a couple of systems running XP (Home and Pro with SP2) which
    > start to boot, get to the XP logo, then restart - trying via Safe Mode, VGA
    > etc does the same thing.
    > So far, you'd expect the OS to be "ok" as such because the OS menu is
    > present, and it is showing the XP logo . Driver issue maybe...... ? No... ?
    > Try a Windows Repair from the OS cd anyway, to find that the CD dosent
    > actually acknowledge an OS being present and wants to do a complete new
    > install. Viewing the drive contents via a self booting disk, the drive is
    > readable with all files present etc.
    >
    > Any ideas what causes this ??
    >
    > /start Mode "Google"
    >
    > TIA :)

    I'd say your filesystem/ partitioning is just completely shot.
    Check the HD doesn't have bad sectors..
    wogers nemesis, Apr 11, 2007
  5. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:31:22 +1200, XPD wrote:
    >
    > > Havent googled yet.....
    > >
    > > Come across a couple of systems running XP (Home and Pro with SP2)
    > > which start to boot, get to the XP logo, then restart - trying via
    > > Safe Mode, VGA etc does the same thing.
    > > So far, you'd expect the OS to be "ok" as such because the OS menu
    > > is present, and it is showing the XP logo . Driver issue
    > > maybe...... ? No... ? Try a Windows Repair from the OS cd anyway,
    > > to find that the CD dosent actually acknowledge an OS being present
    > > and wants to do a complete new install. Viewing the drive contents
    > > via a self booting disk, the drive is readable with all files
    > > present etc.
    > >
    > > Any ideas what causes this ??
    > >
    > > /start Mode "Google"
    > >
    > > TIA :)

    > I'd say your filesystem/ partitioning is just completely shot.
    > Check the HD doesn't have bad sectors..

    Note above: "a couple of systems". I don't think they share the same HDD.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2007