OS polls...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Just recently I have been running a poll({blatent plug}on
    www.dave.net.nz) on which OS people use, and well I included 10 options

    Win XP
    Win 2k
    Win 9x
    Lin Debian
    Lin Redhat/Fedora
    Lin Mandrake
    Lin Gentoo
    BSD Net/Free/MacOSX
    Win2k3
    Other

    which I figured oughta cover it.
    now I have some rather odd(in my mind) results sofar.

    "Other" has the second highest result, and seeing as I only really
    mention my url here, then I assume that it is you guys who are filling
    it in.

    the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.

    Who wants to share?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Just recently I have been running a poll({blatent plug}on
    > www.dave.net.nz) on which OS people use, and well I included 10 options
    >
    > Win XP
    > Win 2k
    > Win 9x
    > Lin Debian
    > Lin Redhat/Fedora
    > Lin Mandrake
    > Lin Gentoo
    > BSD Net/Free/MacOSX
    > Win2k3
    > Other
    >
    > which I figured oughta cover it.
    > now I have some rather odd(in my mind) results sofar.
    >
    > "Other" has the second highest result, and seeing as I only really
    > mention my url here, then I assume that it is you guys who are filling
    > it in.
    >
    > the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    > box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.
    >
    > Who wants to share?

    Hi
    Haven't filled in your poll, but I have 3 systems that would fit the
    'other' SUSE, Coyotelinux and Solaris 9 SPARC.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Oct 2, 2004

  3. It seems like Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:39:25 +1300 was when "Dave -
    Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> said Blah blah
    blah...

    >the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    >box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.

    Massive amounts of people using Solaris? A return to form for the
    Commodore 64? I use Pocket PC 2002 quite a bit.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Who wants to share?

    I've got boxes running Solaris x86, Wang VS/OS and Netware sitting here
    generating heat.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 2, 2004
  5. Malcolm wrote:
    >> Who wants to share?

    > Haven't filled in your poll, but I have 3 systems that would fit the
    > 'other' SUSE, Coyotelinux and Solaris 9 SPARC.

    Maybe I should have made a "Lin Other" option... that should have
    atleast caught some of the others.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004
  6. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    >>box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.

    > Massive amounts of people using Solaris? A return to form for the
    > Commodore 64? I use Pocket PC 2002 quite a bit.

    return to form for the C64... did it ever lose form?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >>> Who wants to share?

    >> Haven't filled in your poll, but I have 3 systems that would fit the
    >> 'other' SUSE, Coyotelinux and Solaris 9 SPARC.

    > Maybe I should have made a "Lin Other" option... that should have
    > atleast caught some of the others.

    There are lots of the 'run off a CD-ROM' distros around these days,
    Knoppix, Gnoppix, Lycoris etc. I have a copy of Puppy Linux on a USB
    flash. Plus the 64 bit versions of Linux are out and about as well.

    Maybe a poll in nz.comp may help?

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Oct 2, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Just recently I have been running a poll({blatent plug}on
    > www.dave.net.nz) on which OS people use, and well I included 10 options
    >
    > Win XP
    > Win 2k
    > Win 9x
    > Lin Debian
    > Lin Redhat/Fedora
    > Lin Mandrake
    > Lin Gentoo
    > BSD Net/Free/MacOSX
    > Win2k3
    > Other
    >
    > which I figured oughta cover it.
    > now I have some rather odd(in my mind) results sofar.
    >
    > "Other" has the second highest result, and seeing as I only really
    > mention my url here, then I assume that it is you guys who are filling
    > it in.
    >
    > the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    > box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.
    >
    > Who wants to share?

    Mmmmm ... that is a tough one.
    Let me think about it a bit.

    <thinking>
    </thought>

    Mac OSX
    Mac OS
    Windows 2000
    Windows Me
    Harry, Oct 2, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Cheetah Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Who wants to share?

    I'm using Suse Linux, and I'm sure there are other popular Distros out
    there. Point is you could include a "Other Linux" and "Other Windows", and
    perhaps "Other Apple"...

    ----
    Cheetah: Powerfull, Accurate, Deadly
    Cheetah, Oct 2, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Collector-NZ Guest

    [Harry] Re: OS polls...

    Harry said the following on 3/10/2004 11:26:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>Just recently I have been running a poll({blatent plug}on
    >>www.dave.net.nz) on which OS people use, and well I included 10 options
    >>
    >>Win XP
    >>Win 2k
    >>Win 9x
    >>Lin Debian
    >>Lin Redhat/Fedora
    >>Lin Mandrake
    >>Lin Gentoo
    >>BSD Net/Free/MacOSX
    >>Win2k3
    >>Other
    >>
    >>which I figured oughta cover it.
    >>now I have some rather odd(in my mind) results sofar.
    >>
    >>"Other" has the second highest result, and seeing as I only really
    >>mention my url here, then I assume that it is you guys who are filling
    >>it in.
    >>
    >>the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    >>box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.
    >>
    >>Who wants to share?

    > Mmmmm ... that is a tough one.
    > Let me think about it a bit.
    >
    > <thinking>
    > </thought>
    >
    > Mac OSX
    > Mac OS
    > Windows 2000
    > Windows Me

    Trust you to get it wrong again he has already got Windows 2000 in his list

    So much for the thought process of Harry Halfwit
    Collector-NZ, Oct 3, 2004
  11. It seems like Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:02:25 +1300 was when "Dave -
    Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> said Blah blah
    blah...

    >> Massive amounts of people using Solaris? A return to form for the
    >> Commodore 64? I use Pocket PC 2002 quite a bit.

    >return to form for the C64... did it ever lose form?

    It doesn't play Vice City:( Still nothing's perfect I suppose.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 3, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:

    > Harry said the following on 3/10/2004 11:26:
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just recently I have been running a poll({blatent plug}on
    >>>www.dave.net.nz) on which OS people use, and well I included 10 options
    >>>
    >>>Win XP
    >>>Win 2k
    >>>Win 9x
    >>>Lin Debian
    >>>Lin Redhat/Fedora
    >>>Lin Mandrake
    >>>Lin Gentoo
    >>>BSD Net/Free/MacOSX
    >>>Win2k3
    >>>Other
    >>>
    >>>which I figured oughta cover it.
    >>>now I have some rather odd(in my mind) results sofar.
    >>>
    >>>"Other" has the second highest result, and seeing as I only really
    >>>mention my url here, then I assume that it is you guys who are filling
    >>>it in.
    >>>
    >>>the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    >>>box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.
    >>>
    >>>Who wants to share?

    >> Mmmmm ... that is a tough one.
    >> Let me think about it a bit.
    >>
    >> <thinking>
    >> </thought>
    >>
    >> Mac OSX
    >> Mac OS
    >> Windows 2000
    >> Windows Me
    >>

    > Trust you to get it wrong again he has already got Windows 2000 in his
    > list

    No, he has Win2k3

    > So much for the thought process of Harry Halfwit

    How pathetic!
    Harry, Oct 3, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Collector-NZ Guest

    [Harry Half Wit]Re: OS polls...

    Harry said the following on 3/10/2004 13:35:
    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >

    >>Harry said the following on 3/10/2004 11:26:

    >>>Mmmmm ... that is a tough one.
    >>>Let me think about it a bit.
    >>>
    >>><thinking>
    >>></thought>
    >>>
    >>>Mac OSX
    >>>Mac OS
    >>>Windows 2000
    >>>Windows Me
    >>>

    >>Trust you to get it wrong again he has already got Windows 2000 in his
    >>list

    > No, he has Win2k3
    >

    >>So much for the thought process of Harry Halfwit

    > How pathetic!

    Still cant read the original post second from top of list how pathetic
    are you.
    Collector-NZ, Oct 3, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:

    > Harry said the following on 3/10/2004 13:35:
    >> Collector-NZ wrote:

    >>>Trust you to get it wrong again he has already got Windows 2000 in his
    >>>list

    >> No, he has Win2k3
    >>

    >>>So much for the thought process of Harry Halfwit

    >> How pathetic!
    >>

    > Still cant read the original post second from top of list how pathetic
    > are you.

    There is no such os as Win 2k. There is only Windows 2000.

    Moreover, as many people like youself would tell me, "k" stands for 1024.
    Harry, Oct 3, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:39:25 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > "Other" has the second highest result, and seeing as I only really
    > mention my url here, then I assume that it is you guys who are filling
    > it in.

    Bit like this thread. Other off the topic rules OK.
    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:01:10 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > I've got boxes running Solaris x86, Wang VS/OS and Netware sitting here
    > generating heat.

    So are they looking for a mate.
    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:01:33 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Maybe I should have made a "Lin Other" option... that should have
    > atleast caught some of the others.

    Nope its *nix. Lin is the person who used to post here awhile back, to
    nz.general s well
    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:20:11 +1300, Malcolm wrote:

    > Maybe a poll in nz.comp may help?

    Maybe, but not to date.

    See how easy it was for Dave to take a poll and the results showed up that
    there were a great deal more bases out there than he thought there were.

    Asking the correct question is more important than anything else, answer
    wise.
    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:01:10 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >

    >>I've got boxes running Solaris x86, Wang VS/OS and Netware sitting here
    >>generating heat.

    > So are they looking for a mate.

    I think the VS has already found one, it sounds shagged. :)

    EMB, Oct 3, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:37:16 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:01:33 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe I should have made a "Lin Other" option... that should have
    >> atleast caught some of the others.

    > Nope its *nix. Lin is the person who used to post here awhile back, to
    > nz.general s well

    I have one win98 box, one Smoothwall (customised RedHat) box, one FreeBSD
    box, one Mandrake 10_32 and one Mandrake 10_64 box - and one box presently
    in pieces but which probably will be a *BSD or a Solaris box.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."