    According to my calculations, that gives Linux something like a 25% share of
    the OS market. Not counting Apple Macs, and not counting other embedded uses
    of Linux like in NAS boxes, media streamers, wireless routers and the like.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2011

  2. In message <ihvh7r$5j0$>, I wrote:

    > Microsoft is shipping about 800,000 copies of Windows per day ...

    Hmm, according to this
    <http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/microsofts-windows-revenues-plunge-30-745?page=0,1>,
    that has fallen to about 600,000 per day. So Microsoft has a smaller share
    of the OS market than I originally thought.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 29, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:38:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <ihvh7r$5j0$>, I wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft is shipping about 800,000 copies of Windows per day ...

    > Hmm, according to this
    > <http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/microsofts-windows-revenues-

    plunge-30-745?page=0,1>,
    > that has fallen to about 600,000 per day. So Microsoft has a smaller
    > share of the OS market than I originally thought.

    "Company says the dramatic drop was due to inflated revenue in the
    comparative 2009 quarter caused by free upgrades to Windows 7"

    How do you get "revenue" from "free upgrades to Windows 7"?

    Sweetpea, Jan 30, 2011