    that explains ORM. I read Professional UML with Visual Studio .NET from
    Wrox, but this does not cover ORM much.

    If you know resources, can you let me know?

    TomTom, Aug 14, 2004

  2. TomTom

    UAError Guest

    "TomTom" <> wrote:

    >I am preparing for the exam 70-300 and looking for a good book/web sites
    >that explains ORM. I read Professional UML with Visual Studio .NET from
    >Wrox, but this does not cover ORM much.
    >
    >If you know resources, can you let me know?

    The only "proper" ORM (book) resource is

    Information Modeling and Relational Databases
    by Terry Halpin
    Paperback: 792 pages
    Morgan Kaufmann; (April 6, 2001)
    ISBN: 1558606726
    http://books.elsevier.com/us//mk/us...h=&SearchField=&operator=&order=&community=mk

    It has plenty of exercises (half of which you can get the
    answers to) - but in general it is much more in depth than
    what is required on 70-300. It also has the unfortunate
    habit of using terms before they are defined in detail (and
    leaving them out of the glossary entirely).

    http://books.elsevier.com/companions/1558606726/solutions/answersodd.pdf

    You can find a chapter of the book
    http://books.elsevier.com/us/bookscat/samples/1558606726/1558606726.pdf
    which covers the first three of seven steps of the
    Conceptual Schema Design Procedure (CSDP).

    There is also the introductory paper from Terry Halpin on
    the MSDN. Unfortunately is reads like it was written by
    someone who is way too familiar with the topic and is making
    way to many assumptions (Terry Halpin should have left the
    job of writing that paper to one of his graduate students
    who just "got it").

    Object Role Modeling: An Overview
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/dv_vstechart/html/vstchvsea_ormoverview.asp

    If you are "swift" enough, the overview plus the sample
    chapter may be enough to get you by with the toy examples on
    70-300 - if you intend to use it, read the entire book (at
    least the first 10 chapters).

    Don't forget the offical site
    www.orm.net

    You may also be interested in the (outdated) VisioModeler
    which is available for download (and could be used for
    practice):

    Visio 2000 Tool: VisioModeler (Unsupported Product Edition)
    MSVM31.EXE
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...86-a439-4286-b8b6-7a9b84cfa709&DisplayLang=en

    The ORM Chapter in the Cornish ExamCram is a real weak spot
    of the guide. I was left with the impression that the author
    of that chapter was trying to make sense of ORM in terms of
    Entity Relationship Modeling - if you do that you are
    missing the point of ORM and that is certainly not the way
    to arrive at a sound conceptual design.

    Also ORM may have certain advantages to UML but it still is
    highly data-oriented and as such not the be-all and end-all
    when it comes to Object Oriented Design. (The inclusion of
    the word Object in ORM is a bit of a conceit IMO).

    This would probably be more appropriate:

    Domain-Driven Design
    by Eric Evans
    Hardcover: 576 pages
    Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (August 22, 2003)
    ISBN: 0321125215
    http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0321125215

    Unfortunately this has very little to do with 70-300...

    UAError, Aug 15, 2004

  3. >I am preparing for the exam 70-300 and looking for a good book/web sites
    >that explains ORM. I read Professional UML with Visual Studio .NET from
    >Wrox, but this does not cover ORM much.
    >
    >If you know resources, can you let me know?

    strange as it may seem, a great starting point is: -

    www.orm.net
    www.objectrolemodeling.com
    etc,etc,etc

    the book the orm site promotes 'database modeling with microsoft visio
    for architects' is quite good btw.

    For the exam, you don't need a great deal of understanding. However we
    began to adopt orm in the mid 90's, and I for one highly recommend
    it's inclusion within any object oriented process model.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 15, 2004
  4. >The only "proper" ORM (book) resource is

    >Information Modeling and Relational Databases

    strange.

    I guess this why the industry still seems to be stuck in the batch
    oriented processing world of the 70's and 80's. I just can't
    understand why so many companies fail to grasp the concepts of oo when
    in reality their business' are built with 'objects' and interacts with
    'objects' every second - oo is just so natural and easy to
    understand....

    >Unfortunately this has very little to do with 70-300...

    agreed.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 15, 2004
  5. TomTom

    TomTom Guest

    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll start with the free one (orm.net)

    TomTom, Aug 16, 2004
  6. TomTom

    TomTom Guest

    Why is Information Modeling and Relational Databases not good? Amazon
    reviewer seem to like it.

    TomTom, Aug 16, 2004
  7. I would also strongly recommend looking at the other resources that
    UAError recommended.

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 17, 2004
  8. >Why is Information Modeling and Relational Databases not good? Amazon
    >reviewer seem to like it.

    never said it was 'not good'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 17, 2004