    I had SP1 I couldn't connect to it because of the WEP key not being 5
    or 13 ASCII characters. Is there anyway to fix this???!???!??
    , Dec 2, 2006

  2. Hi
    It would be helpful if you would divulge the model of your Orinoco card
    (there is quite few Orinoco Wireless cards), and what is your own Wireless
    source.
    Otherwise these pages have general info and instruction for configuring
    Wireless connections.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 2, 2006

  3. Guest

    , Dec 2, 2006
  4. Guest

    OK, so I do have something, I found some info through the client
    manager:

    Driver -
    NDIS 5 Miniport Driver Version 7.42

    Card -
    Agere Systems Gold Card Version 5.0

    Hope this helps someone help me.

    Mike

    wrote:
    > Here's a link to my specs:
    > http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/complist.asp?SerialNo=3417331-0001
    >
    > I'm using a Motorola SBG900 Wireless Router.
    >
    > Other than that, I got nothin.
    >
    > Mike
    , Dec 2, 2006
  5. Axel Hammerschmidt, Dec 2, 2006
  6. Guest

    > The wireless networks you can connect to use a 40-bit or 104-bit WEP key
    > or are unsecured.

    OK, but ... for one reason or another both of my roommates can connect
    using a shorter WEP key (i.e. 11, 10, 9, characters) and this still
    doesn't solve the problem of how do I get my wireless card to allow me
    to connect to my AP.
    , Dec 2, 2006
  7. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    >> The wireless networks you can connect to use a 40-bit or 104-bit WEP
    >> key or are unsecured.

    > OK, but ... for one reason or another both of my roommates can connect
    > using a shorter WEP key (i.e. 11, 10, 9, characters) and this still
    > doesn't solve the problem of how do I get my wireless card to allow me
    > to connect to my AP.

    You are apparently using either a 64 or 128-bit WEP encryption on your
    router. You need to enter the key into your wireless software. The key,
    not the passphrased used to generate the key. Either use the Windows
    SP2 WZC or use the software that came with your wireless adapter. If
    you are not able to do this, you are entering the wrong key or
    otherwise doing something wrong. Have someone who can see the router
    and have hands-onto your machine help you.

    Go into your wireless router's configuration and make a note of the
    encryption scheme and key you have set.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Dec 2, 2006
  8. Guest

    Thanks for all the advice on the WEP key but I still have the problem
    of not even being able to input anything. When I attempt to connect to
    the network through Windows Wireless Network Connections I get the
    error message "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network.
    The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of
    avaliable networks, and try again." So even if I could fix my key
    problem I still have that connection issue. I have two other computers
    in my house that are connected to the AP. Both using cheap Belkin
    wireless cards. I also got ahold of a U.S. Robotics USR5410 PCMCIA
    card from an IBM Thinkpad that was working. I set everything up and
    then I went back to the Windows Wireless Networks and that showed all
    of my networks around including mine but none of them had any signal.
    I put the card back into the Thinkpad and connected without a problem.
    I am baffled.

    Mike
    , Dec 2, 2006
  9. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks for all the advice on the WEP key but I still have the problem
    > of not even being able to input anything. When I attempt to connect
    > to the network through Windows Wireless Network Connections I get the
    > error message "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network.
    > The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of
    > avaliable networks, and try again." So even if I could fix my key
    > problem I still have that connection issue. I have two other
    > computers
    > in my house that are connected to the AP. Both using cheap Belkin
    > wireless cards. I also got ahold of a U.S. Robotics USR5410 PCMCIA
    > card from an IBM Thinkpad that was working. I set everything up and
    > then I went back to the Windows Wireless Networks and that showed all
    > of my networks around including mine but none of them had any signal.
    > I put the card back into the Thinkpad and connected without a problem.
    > I am baffled.

    Try not using the Windows Wireless connections. Use the software that
    came with your network adapter. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. You
    should have someone local take a look instead of trying to work this
    out in writing in a newsgroup.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 2, 2006
  10. Hi

    When Wireless does not work as is, the "Trick" is to try one-step at the
    time as describe in the page that I link to above (
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html ).

    I.e. Put the client next to the source, disable security, (and as Malke
    suggested) disable Windows Zero Configuration (
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html ), use the Orinoco utility, and take it from
    there. If it does not work under "Rock Bottom" condition it might be
    hardware problem/incompatibly issue.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 2, 2006
  11. David Hettel Guest

    Try opening Network connections, right click on your wireless icon and chose
    properties. Click on Wireless Networks (tab) In the preferred networks is
    your wireless router listed? If so you might want to "Remove" it this should
    allow you to rediscover your wireless network, and when it is rediscovered
    you should be prompted for a password. You want to enter the Hex version of
    your password here. That is the one that only has the numbers 0 to 9 and A
    to F.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.