    the later improved version with the crappy cg and screwed up the greedo-solo
    scene. Are they worth anything as Lucas has said he wont release them
    again?
    Rtavi, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Rtavi

    Galley Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:56:59 -0500, "Rtavi" <> spewed forth
    these words of wisdom:

    >I have changed over to DVD and replaced most of my movies. I have been
    >holding on to the VHS boxed set of the original version of the 3 star wars
    >movies. These are the theater versions in wide screen before Lucas put out
    >the later improved version with the crappy cg and screwed up the greedo-solo
    >scene. Are they worth anything as Lucas has said he wont release them
    >again?

    I don't care if it was the birth of Jesus; as long as it's VHS, I wouldn't watch
    it! ;-)

    Galley
    Galley, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Rtavi

    Wade365 Guest

    << Are they worth anything as Lucas has said he wont release them
    >again?

    I don't care if it was the birth of Jesus; as long as it's VHS, I wouldn't
    watch
    it! ;-) >><BR><BR>

    Sod that. I've got flippin' FULL-SCREEN copies and they're still better than
    any of the revisionist garbage... I would say that you should hang onto them
    and burn them down to DVD, especially if they are letterboxed. As long as
    they're store-bought versions I'm sure the picture is far from terrible - Sure
    it's not digital but it's far from bad.

    Make sure future generations have a choice of viewing... in this one
    particular, solitary case, I completely endorse "backing up" your "master
    copy".

    ; )

    PS - I dunno about the birth of Jesus, but isn't there enough of his death on
    home video these days?
    Wade365, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Rtavi

    Yazandtony Guest

    Let the fanboy crying begin....
    Yazandtony, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Rtavi

    Wade365 Guest

    << Let the fanboy crying begin.... >><BR><BR>

    Let's get something straight here... it has NOTHING to do with fanship. What
    this is about is history.

    I hate George Lucas and I pretty much could care less about Star Wars as a
    franchise, but for some odd reason I want my nephew to be able to see what it
    was that I saw at his age (namely things like H. Solo shooting first). This is
    about revisionist history, and people changing things to suit their own
    worlds... it's happened a lot to various works of fiction over the years.

    The Bible, for instance.

    (that should stir a few folks up)

    Take your passive-aggressive "Fanboy" crap and shove it, tool.
    Wade365, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Rtavi

    Rtavi Guest

    Thanks I had not thought about backing them up to DVD. I didn't like the
    revised versions but was afraid that with time the VHS would deteriorate.
    They are in a really nice blue encyclopedia sized slipcovered bookshelf box
    along with a making of tape.

    Rtavi, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Rtavi

    Omarichu Guest

    >Let's get something straight here... it has NOTHING to do with fanship.
    >Whatthis is about is history.

    Too bad George's ownership of the franchise supercedes any spurious and
    transient "history" internet nutjobs lay claim to. Try not to cry.
    Omarichu, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Rtavi

    Eric R. Guest

    (Wade365) wrote in message news:<>...

    > This is
    > about revisionist history, and people changing things to suit their own
    > worlds... it's happened a lot to various works of fiction over the years.

    Amen, brother!!!!!

    -Eric
    Eric R., Aug 3, 2004
  9. Rtavi

    Wade365 Guest

    << Too bad George's ownership of the franchise supercedes any spurious and
    transient "history" internet nutjobs lay claim to. Try not to cry. >><BR><BR>

    Go away... why do chimp-tools like you bother to learn how to type when it's
    quite clear you haven't come down from the trees yet?
    Wade365, Aug 3, 2004
  10. Rtavi

    Jim Burgan Guest

    > I hate George Lucas and I pretty much could care less about Star Wars as a
    > franchise, but for some odd reason I want my nephew to be able to see what

    it
    > was that I saw at his age (namely things like H. Solo shooting first).

    This is
    > about revisionist history, and people changing things to suit their own
    > worlds... it's happened a lot to various works of fiction over the years.
    >
    > The Bible, for instance.

    Let's hear your arguement for revisionist history of the bible...
    Jim Burgan, Aug 3, 2004
  11. Rtavi

    Mike Davis Guest

    Rtavi wrote:
    > I have changed over to DVD and replaced most of my movies. I have been
    > holding on to the VHS boxed set of the original version of the 3 star wars
    > movies. These are the theater versions in wide screen before Lucas put out
    > the later improved version with the crappy cg and screwed up the greedo-solo
    > scene. Are they worth anything as Lucas has said he wont release them
    > again?

    Rtavi, the set is essentially worthless. It's tape. With the standard
    resolution of VHS at 240 lines, the letterbox image is around half of
    that. That's maybe 120-150 lines. Pretty piss poor my friend. I still
    have all the original LaserDiscs ane THOSE would be worth copying to
    DVD. For your set, just hold, It might make a good doorstop. All the
    best, Mike
    Mike Davis, Aug 4, 2004
  12. Rtavi

    Eric R. Guest

    "Jim Burgan" <> wrote in message news:<ceorlb$17ri$>...

    > Let's hear your arguement for revisionist history of the bible...

    Oh God, let's not go down that road. That road leads nowhere good.
    Take it over to alt.pointless.endless.debate .

    -Eric
    Eric R., Aug 4, 2004
  13. Rtavi

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Omarichu) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >Let's get something straight here... it has NOTHING to do with fanship.
    > >Whatthis is about is history.

    > Too bad George's ownership of the franchise supercedes any spurious and
    > transient "history" internet nutjobs lay claim to.

    It's not spurious nor transient- it's for all time and it's the entire
    world that suffers when you get egomaniac lunatics like Lucas changing
    things around just because it can be done. Lucas is practicing the
    very same thing that Orwell wrote about in 1984. If that does not
    concern you you're more than welcome to continue buying every new
    version of Star Wars Lucas throws out on home video until the day he
    dies. Maybe Yoda will finally make an appearance on Tattoine- riding a
    dewback- in the first film in about 10 years. Won't that be special?

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Aug 4, 2004
  14. Rtavi

    Wade365 Guest

    << > Let's hear your arguement for revisionist history of the bible...

    Oh God, let's not go down that road. That road leads nowhere good.
    Take it over to alt.pointless.endless.debate .
    >><BR><BR>

    Or, just to bring it back on-topic, if you wanna start learning about how the
    Bible was changed to suit the rulers over man's reign of this rock then you
    could start by watching "Name of the Rose". Granted it's a murder mystery done
    all Hollywood-style and stuff, but the core material which inspired it caused
    tremendous stir at one time.

    The book really set the Catholic church off, but the truth is that meetings
    like the one potrayed in that film happened. The facts were contested and
    debated (in "higher" ranks of social standing), often being altered to suit the
    wants and needs of the ruling class.

    Look it up, you got Google out there in your little reality, don'cha?
    Wade365, Aug 5, 2004