    This has to be the biggest "**** You" anyone could have imagined coming from
    Lucas.

    T.B.

    TB, May 17, 2006

  2. TB

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:33:44 GMT, "TB" <>
    wrote:

    >This has to be the biggest "**** You" anyone could have imagined coming from
    >Lucas.

    Yet another year for me to stick with my old VCR and the tape sets.
    Most likely will NOT buy that set since I don't really see much
    difference with the DVD set released not too long ago and this
    upcoming set other than just a few scene enhancements.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, May 17, 2006

  3. TB

    Aphelion Guest

    > Basically, Lucas is offering the '95 "original" transfers of the three
    > Star Wars films (EP 4,5,6) that were used for the laserdisc releases and
    > *will not* be 16:9 anamorphically enhanced.

    So when they fed us this line:

    "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source
    material that could be presented on DVD."

    .... they're full of shit. What a pisser.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, May 17, 2006
  4. TB

    unclejr Guest

    TB wrote:
    > It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.

    Relax, Chicken Little...

    Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.

    -Junior

    unclejr, May 18, 2006
  5. TB

    unclejr Guest

    unclejr, May 18, 2006
  6. TB

    Goro Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > TB wrote:
    > > It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.

    > Relax, Chicken Little...
    >
    > Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.
    >
    > -Junior

    Junior,
    Digitalbits IS a credible site. This news isn't on the rumor mill
    portion, either; it's on the main page and when he puts the info there,
    it's pretty solid.

    And it also meshes in with Lucas.

    i was on the fence of buying them anyway and now with this news... meh.

    i'm sure it'll still rake in tonsof bux, though...

    -goro-

    Goro, May 18, 2006
  7. TB

    Sean Black Guest

    In article <>, Goro
    <> writes

    >unclejr wrote:
    >> TB wrote:
    >> > It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.

    >> Relax, Chicken Little...
    >>
    >> Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.
    >>
    >> -Junior

    >Junior,
    >Digitalbits IS a credible site. This news isn't on the rumor mill
    >portion, either; it's on the main page and when he puts the info there,
    >it's pretty solid.
    >
    >And it also meshes in with Lucas.
    >
    >i was on the fence of buying them anyway and now with this news... meh.
    >
    >i'm sure it'll still rake in tonsof bux, though...

    What's the betting that in a year or two, when Lucas needs another cash
    injection they'll be re-released with an anamorphic transfer?
    --
    Sean Black

    Sean Black, May 18, 2006
  8. Sean Black wrote:

    >> unclejr wrote:

    >>> Relax, Chicken Little...
    >>>
    >>> Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.
    >>>
    >>> -Junior

    >> Junior,
    >> Digitalbits IS a credible site. This news isn't on the rumor mill
    >> portion, either; it's on the main page and when he puts the info there,
    >> it's pretty solid.
    >>
    >> And it also meshes in with Lucas.
    >>
    >> i was on the fence of buying them anyway and now with this news... meh.
    >>
    >> i'm sure it'll still rake in tonsof bux, though...
    >>

    > What's the betting that in a year or two, when Lucas needs another cash
    > injection they'll be re-released with an anamorphic transfer?

    Odds: Scratched--

    If you took the trouble to read today's Digital Bits, you'd find out
    that George Wasn't Kidding when he said "The prints were
    destroyed"...They WERE.
    Which, presumably, is *why* we're getting the port-dumped laserdisk
    pre-Special Edition transfers from ten years ago--There t'warn't nothing
    else in the vault.

    Or, if you choose, check out the USA Today interview with a Lucas exec
    who's clearly not happy about it either, but Gone is Gone.

    Derek Janssen (but, hey, as long as they put both versions on, I can fit
    it into my set)

    Derek Janssen, May 18, 2006
  9. TB

    M.B. Guest

    Sean Black wrote:

    > What's the betting that in a year or two, when Lucas needs another cash
    > injection they'll be re-released with an anamorphic transfer?

    It's about as likely that the sun will rise tomorrow.

    M.B., May 18, 2006
  10. TB

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 17:09:49 -0400, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >If you took the trouble to read today's Digital Bits, you'd find out
    >that George Wasn't Kidding when he said "The prints were
    >destroyed"...They WERE

    And the market for illegal DVDs and VCDs with original unaltered
    version will continue for sometime. I have 2 "collector's item" that
    I bought about 15 years ago, each one had a single frame from the
    film. I don't know if it is THE original or if it's copies that was
    cut to make the display.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, May 18, 2006
  11. Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    >If you took the trouble to read today's Digital Bits, you'd find out
    >that George Wasn't Kidding when he said "The prints were
    >destroyed"...They WERE.
    >Which, presumably, is *why* we're getting the port-dumped laserdisk
    >pre-Special Edition transfers from ten years ago--There t'warn't nothing
    >else in the vault.
    >
    >Or, if you choose, check out the USA Today interview with a Lucas exec
    >who's clearly not happy about it either, but Gone is Gone.

    The full rant at Digital BIts presents a pretty convincing argument why the
    "t'warn't nothin in the vault" argument doesn't hold water. Even if Lucas is
    the complete idiot he says he is, there are still materials that could be
    used.

    Kimba W. Lion, May 19, 2006
  12. Kimba W. Lion <> wrote in

    > Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you took the trouble to read today's Digital Bits, you'd find out
    >>that George Wasn't Kidding when he said "The prints were
    >>destroyed"...They WERE.
    >>Which, presumably, is *why* we're getting the port-dumped laserdisk
    >>pre-Special Edition transfers from ten years ago--There t'warn't
    >>nothing else in the vault.
    >>
    >>Or, if you choose, check out the USA Today interview with a Lucas exec
    >>who's clearly not happy about it either, but Gone is Gone.

    > The full rant at Digital BIts presents a pretty convincing argument
    > why the "t'warn't nothin in the vault" argument doesn't hold water.
    > Even if Lucas is the complete idiot he says he is, there are still
    > materials that could be used.

    These were some of the most popular movies of all time. How many
    negatives, positives, interpositives and internegatives exist for these?
    How many reels of film are sitting around, waiting to be restored?

    Ideal circumstances? Certainly not. But come on, the material is there
    if someone really wants to do it.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, May 19, 2006
  13. TB

    BB Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message
    > Kimba W. Lion <> wrote in
    >
    >> Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you took the trouble to read today's Digital Bits, you'd find out
    >>>that George Wasn't Kidding when he said "The prints were
    >>>destroyed"...They WERE.
    >>>Which, presumably, is *why* we're getting the port-dumped laserdisk
    >>>pre-Special Edition transfers from ten years ago--There t'warn't
    >>>nothing else in the vault.
    >>>
    >>>Or, if you choose, check out the USA Today interview with a Lucas exec
    >>>who's clearly not happy about it either, but Gone is Gone.

    >> The full rant at Digital BIts presents a pretty convincing argument
    >> why the "t'warn't nothin in the vault" argument doesn't hold water.
    >> Even if Lucas is the complete idiot he says he is, there are still
    >> materials that could be used.

    > These were some of the most popular movies of all time. How many
    > negatives, positives, interpositives and internegatives exist for these?
    > How many reels of film are sitting around, waiting to be restored?
    >
    > Ideal circumstances? Certainly not. But come on, the material is there
    > if someone really wants to do it.

    Didn't the National Archives demand a clean print of the original version of
    Star Wars (specifically not the Special Edition) a few years ago? That
    could be a starting point.

    -B

    BB, May 19, 2006
  14. TB

    Guest

    Nope.

    Hi-def.

    There's no sucker like Star Wars fan.

    John Harkness

    , May 19, 2006
  15. TB

    Guest

    Bigger than The Phantom Menace?

    John Harkness

    , May 19, 2006
  16. TB

    Justin Guest

    wrote on [19 May 2006 05:51:51 -0700]:
    > Bigger than The Phantom Menace?
    >
    > John Harkness

    Learn to quote.

    Justin, May 19, 2006
  17. Lucas _wants_ these DVDs to look bad so his "Special Editions" seem better:
    http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1531527/story.jhtml
    "It's just the original versions, as they were," Lucas said. "We didn't
    do anything to it at all. But we're not sure how many people want that."
    "Now we'll find out whether they really wanted the original or whether
    they wanted the improved versions," he said. "It'll all come out in the
    end."

    Nevada-tan is Natsumi Tsuji, May 20, 2006
  18. "BB" <> wrote in news:l2jbg.6033$_B5.924@trnddc01:

    > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in
    > message news:Xns97C885E1738Blinkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105...
    >> Kimba W. Lion <> wrote in

    >>> The full rant at Digital BIts presents a pretty convincing argument
    >>> why the "t'warn't nothin in the vault" argument doesn't hold water.
    >>> Even if Lucas is the complete idiot he says he is, there are still
    >>> materials that could be used.

    >> These were some of the most popular movies of all time. How many
    >> negatives, positives, interpositives and internegatives exist for
    >> these? How many reels of film are sitting around, waiting to be
    >> restored?
    >>
    >> Ideal circumstances? Certainly not. But come on, the material is
    >> there if someone really wants to do it.

    > Didn't the National Archives demand a clean print of the original
    > version of Star Wars (specifically not the Special Edition) a few
    > years ago? That could be a starting point.

    I beleive you are correct, however, I don't know if George ever
    gave them such a print.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, May 20, 2006
  19. TB

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <Xns97C94FD27F711linkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote:

    > > Didn't the National Archives demand a clean print of the original
    > > version of Star Wars (specifically not the Special Edition) a few
    > > years ago? That could be a starting point.

    > I beleive you are correct, however, I don't know if George ever
    > gave them such a print.
    >
    > --

    I may be wrong, but IIRC, they had one and he offered to replace it with
    his new and improved 2002 version and they said no.

    dick
    -- and they might be reluctant to give him back the only original copy
    left.

    Dick Sidbury, May 20, 2006
  20. TB

    Allan Guest

    Get ready for the HD / Blu Ray basic editions... and then the HD
    Blu-Ray EXTRA HD Editions.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, May 21, 2006