    or what might be used to view these discs..? No player tried
    so far will work, including VLC Player, Media Player, Winamp
    and quite a host of others. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    83LowRider, Jul 30, 2006

  2. 83LowRider

    Art2U Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 02:23:37 +0000, 83LowRider wrote:

    > I've recently been given a large box of unopened dvds,
    > in the original divx format (I believe Circuit City was the
    > source of these short-lived discs). Is anyone aware of how
    > or what might be used to view these discs..? No player tried
    > so far will work, including VLC Player, Media Player, Winamp
    > and quite a host of others. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    do you have the codecs installed?
    try a vcd player...

    -Art- (not Art)
    Art2U, Jul 30, 2006

  3. 83LowRider

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-30, 83LowRider <> wrote:
    > I've recently been given a large box of unopened dvds,
    > in the original divx format (I believe Circuit City was the
    > source of these short-lived discs). Is anyone aware of how
    > or what might be used to view these discs..? No player tried
    > so far will work, including VLC Player, Media Player, Winamp
    > and quite a host of others. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Read here and there are downloads:
    http://www.doom9.net/

    --
    A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
    in than some that do. -- Dennis M. Ritchie
    Jimchip, Jul 30, 2006
  4. 83LowRider

    Fred Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-30, 83LowRider <> wrote:
    >> I've recently been given a large box of unopened dvds,
    >> in the original divx format (I believe Circuit City was the
    >> source of these short-lived discs). Is anyone aware of how
    >> or what might be used to view these discs..? No player tried
    >> so far will work, including VLC Player, Media Player, Winamp
    >> and quite a host of others. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > Read here and there are downloads:
    > http://www.doom9.net/

    I couldn't find anything useful there.
    Have you got a direct link to the downloads?

    http://www.doom9.org/glossary.htm#DIVX
    "DIVX was basically DVD stripped of all its extra features - no extras,
    making-ofs, trailers, multi-language, widescreen picture - introduced by
    Circuit City and a bunch of greedy Hollywood lawyers in order to completely
    control movie distribution up to the end user again and to gain complete
    control over movie playback in your home. DIVX was pay-per-view and a
    "DIVX-enhanced" DVD player had to be hooked up to your phone line in order
    to dial in to the DIVX central computer to register when you play a disc and
    to bill your credit card. A movie was $4.50 - including a 48 hour viewing
    period - and $2.50 for additional viewing periods. DIVX was stopped after
    less than a year in operation due to lack of titles.

    As DIVX uses triple DES encryption it's pretty safe against cryptographic
    attacks and unless you can crack that encryption there's no way to rip these
    discs. In other words your DIVX discs will probably remain coasters
    forever."

    To the op something about hacking DIVX players here.
    http://www.fightdivx.com/hackingdivx.htm
    Fred, Jul 30, 2006
  5. 83LowRider

    83LowRider Guest

    "Fred" wrote

    > As DIVX uses triple DES encryption it's pretty safe against cryptographic
    > attacks and unless you can crack that encryption there's no way to rip

    these
    > discs. In other words your DIVX discs will probably remain coasters
    > forever."
    >
    > To the op something about hacking DIVX players here.
    > http://www.fightdivx.com/hackingdivx.htm

    It would be nice to be able to rip them,
    but I'd settle for being able to watch them... :eek:p

    and thanks to those who've replied.
    83LowRider, Jul 30, 2006
  6. 83LowRider wrote:
    > I've recently been given a large box of unopened dvds,
    > in the original divx format (I believe Circuit City was the
    > source of these short-lived discs). Is anyone aware of how
    > or what might be used to view these discs..? No player tried
    > so far will work, including VLC Player, Media Player, Winamp
    > and quite a host of others. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    A DIVX player/codec is needed. Try here.

    http://www.divx.com/

    Download and install the Free DivX for Windows 6.2
    The codec on the "Download DivX" link located on a tab at the top of the
    page. There are also many other players and utilities listed there.

    Hope that helps...
    Randall Smith, Jul 30, 2006
  7. 83LowRider

    83LowRider Guest

    "Randall Smith" > wrote in message.
    > A DIVX player/codec is needed. Try here.
    > http://www.divx.com/
    >
    > Download and install the Free DivX for Windows 6.2
    > The codec on the "Download DivX" link located on a tab at the top of the
    > page. There are also many other players and utilities listed there.
    >
    > Hope that helps...

    Thanks to you and Art for the consideration, but I don't
    believe this is a codec issue.. it's the 'original' DIVX format
    preceeding what is commonly referred to now as divX.
    Freds reply in this thread, from the doom site, is the best
    explanation of the format.
    83LowRider, Jul 30, 2006
  8. 83LowRider

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-30, 83LowRider <> wrote:

    > "Randall Smith" > wrote in message.
    >> A DIVX player/codec is needed. Try here.
    >> http://www.divx.com/
    >>
    >> Download and install the Free DivX for Windows 6.2
    >> The codec on the "Download DivX" link located on a tab at the top of the
    >> page. There are also many other players and utilities listed there.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps...

    > Thanks to you and Art for the consideration, but I don't
    > believe this is a codec issue.. it's the 'original' DIVX format
    > preceeding what is commonly referred to now as divX.
    > Freds reply in this thread, from the doom site, is the best
    > explanation of the format.

    I didn't understand, at first, whether you were talking literally about
    the DIVX coming from Circuit City or just that CC were the dweebs that
    started the concept. There are some DIVX that are not encrypted in the
    same way, just the MPEG with non-DES encryption not meant for
    pay-per-view. A lot of the latter were rental releases when the
    publishers tried to save even more money (greedy bastards) and trialed a
    download and burn-on-site approach to some rental stores. They're still
    doing burn-on-site...just not in DIVX format.

    If you have all of the codecs:
    How to identify a video source, what video and audio codec(s) it
    requires and its properties:
    http://www.videohelp.com/play#identify

    and:
    http://www.doom9.net/ download>codecs
    Codecs (show all codecs)
    ------------------------
    DivX 3.11 alpha - it appears to me that some people don't know what
    CTRL-F is... so learn!!!
    DivX 6.0 - lastest DivX codec by DivXNetworks. The successor of DivX4.
    DivX 6.0 Pro - free version with extra features. Trial version - runs
    out after 6 month. Website
    XviD 1.1 - imho the best MPEG-4 codec out there. Website - Binary
    download site
    -----------------------
    then you need to understand what the licensing on those disks are. It
    still might be legal to crack them because there is a "playability"
    issue. However, if the licensing requires pay-per-view then it's
    obviously not legal and it means the 3xDES encryption...ugh.

    DES isn't a walk in the park (56-bit encryption is sorta OK) and 3xDES
    is 3x and I would guess that it's not worth the trouble in
    your case.

    On the positive side, and it depends on the disks themselves (the
    pictures, titles burned on the "top"), the disks make a much classier
    set of coasters than AOL throwaways :)

    Jimchip, Jul 30, 2006
  9. 83LowRider

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-30, Fred <> wrote:

    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-07-30, 83LowRider <> wrote:
    >>> I've recently been given a large box of unopened dvds,
    >>> in the original divx format (I believe Circuit City was the
    >>> source of these short-lived discs). Is anyone aware of how
    >>> or what might be used to view these discs..? No player tried
    >>> so far will work, including VLC Player, Media Player, Winamp
    >>> and quite a host of others. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    >> Read here and there are downloads:
    >> http://www.doom9.net/

    > I couldn't find anything useful there.
    > Have you got a direct link to the downloads?

    Frankly, there is a lot there. That site takes some time. There might
    not be a quick fix that I see because I don't know what *your* problem
    is. I have some DIVX...they play just fine for me. Your quote below
    regarding ripping is different than playing, but also depends on whether
    the disks really are pay-per-view or not. I replied to the OP so you
    might want to read that.

    How to identify a video source, what video and audio codec(s) it
    requires and its properties.
    http://www.videohelp.com/play#identify

    The downloads I referred to:
    http://www.doom9.net/ click downloads, then codecs:
    --------------------------

    ---------------------------
    > http://www.doom9.org/glossary.htm#DIVX
    > "DIVX was basically DVD stripped of all its extra features - no extras,
    > making-ofs, trailers, multi-language, widescreen picture - introduced by
    > Circuit City and a bunch of greedy Hollywood lawyers in order to completely
    > control movie distribution up to the end user again and to gain complete
    > control over movie playback in your home. DIVX was pay-per-view and a
    > "DIVX-enhanced" DVD player had to be hooked up to your phone line in order
    > to dial in to the DIVX central computer to register when you play a disc and
    > to bill your credit card. A movie was $4.50 - including a 48 hour viewing
    > period - and $2.50 for additional viewing periods. DIVX was stopped after
    > less than a year in operation due to lack of titles.

    The above is all true :) but not all DIVX were made as described above.
    It could be that "the ones we are talking about" all fit the above...
    "Hmmm...nice coasters"

    > As DIVX uses triple DES encryption it's pretty safe against cryptographic
    > attacks and unless you can crack that encryption there's no way to rip these
    > discs. In other words your DIVX discs will probably remain coasters
    > forever."

    DES (56-bit) is not a bad encryption scheme. It can be cracked so nobody
    who cares uses it but it's not a simpleton dictionary lookup attack and
    far beyond trivial to crack it.
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9901/21/descrack.idg/

    > To the op something about hacking DIVX players here.
    > http://www.fightdivx.com/hackingdivx.htm

    The above is from "the old days", trying to "black box" the PPV. Similar
    to today when people try to burn their own satellite cards and not just
    watch FFA.

    Jimchip, Jul 30, 2006
  10. 83LowRider

    83LowRider Guest

    "Jimchip" wrote in message

    If you have all of the codecs:
    > How to identify a video source, what video and audio codec(s) it
    > requires and its properties:
    > http://www.videohelp.com/play#identify
    >
    > and:
    > http://www.doom9.net/ download>codecs
    > Codecs (show all codecs)
    > ------------------------
    > DivX 3.11 alpha - it appears to me that some people don't know what
    > CTRL-F is... so learn!!!
    > DivX 6.0 - lastest DivX codec by DivXNetworks. The successor of DivX4.
    > DivX 6.0 Pro - free version with extra features. Trial version - runs
    > out after 6 month. Website
    > XviD 1.1 - imho the best MPEG-4 codec out there. Website - Binary
    > download site
    > -----------------------
    > then you need to understand what the licensing on those disks are. It
    > still might be legal to crack them because there is a "playability"
    > issue. However, if the licensing requires pay-per-view then it's
    > obviously not legal and it means the 3xDES encryption...ugh.
    >
    > DES isn't a walk in the park (56-bit encryption is sorta OK) and 3xDES
    > is 3x and I would guess that it's not worth the trouble in
    > your case.
    >
    > On the positive side, and it depends on the disks themselves (the
    > pictures, titles burned on the "top"), the disks make a much classier
    > set of coasters than AOL throwaways :)

    Thanks for the followup, and the help... unfortunately
    the divx player is a 'standard' player. I've dug deep and
    wide, and guess they are now approximately 200 new
    coasters. Open to any other ideas tho, should someone
    have one.
    83LowRider, Jul 31, 2006
  11. 83LowRider

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-31, 83LowRider <> wrote:
    > "Jimchip" wrote in message

    [snip]
    >> On the positive side, and it depends on the disks themselves (the
    >> pictures, titles burned on the "top"), the disks make a much classier
    >> set of coasters than AOL throwaways :)

    > Thanks for the followup, and the help... unfortunately
    > the divx player is a 'standard' player. I've dug deep and
    > wide, and guess they are now approximately 200 new
    > coasters. Open to any other ideas tho, should someone
    > have one.

    PVC pipe, string, superglue: Assemble and hang disks on string on the
    pipe. Get guns. Shoot at disks for target practice.

    Jimchip, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Howdy!

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-30, Fred <> wrote:

    > Frankly, there is a lot there. That site takes some time. There might
    > not be a quick fix that I see because I don't know what *your* problem
    > is. I have some DIVX...they play just fine for me. Your quote below
    > regarding ripping is different than playing, but also depends on whether
    > the disks really are pay-per-view or not. I replied to the OP so you
    > might want to read that.

    DIVX movies are pay-per-view. DiVX (notice the capitalization!) is
    a codec.

    DIVX DVDs would probably not be encoded in DiVX ... especially if
    they were mass produced DVDs!

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 3, 2006
  13. 83LowRider

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-08-03, Ralph Wade Phillips <> wrote:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-07-30, Fred <> wrote:

    >> Frankly, there is a lot there. That site takes some time. There might
    >> not be a quick fix that I see because I don't know what *your* problem
    >> is. I have some DIVX...they play just fine for me. Your quote below
    >> regarding ripping is different than playing, but also depends on whether
    >> the disks really are pay-per-view or not. I replied to the OP so you
    >> might want to read that.

    > DIVX movies are pay-per-view. DiVX (notice the capitalization!) is
    > a codec.
    >
    > DIVX DVDs would probably not be encoded in DiVX ... especially if
    > they were mass produced DVDs!

    Define "mass produced" :)

    I didn't catch the OP was talking about "official" Circuit City
    editions even though it was pretty clear on a second look.

    --
    On the eighth day, God created FORTRAN.
    Jimchip, Aug 3, 2006
  14. Howdy!

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-08-03, Ralph Wade Phillips <> wrote:

    > > DIVX DVDs would probably not be encoded in DiVX ... especially

    if
    > > they were mass produced DVDs!

    > Define "mass produced" :)

    Pressed, not burned B)

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 4, 2006
  15. 83LowRider

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-08-04, Ralph Wade Phillips <> wrote:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-08-03, Ralph Wade Phillips <> wrote:

    >> > DIVX DVDs would probably not be encoded in DiVX ... especially

    > if
    >> > they were mass produced DVDs!

    >> Define "mass produced" :)

    > Pressed, not burned B)

    Like my LP's...they don't fit in any of the little slots in the front of
    my computer. :)

    --
    On the eighth day, God created FORTRAN.
    Jimchip, Aug 4, 2006