Original Apes gets an anamorphic redo

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Michael Rogers, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Michael Rogers, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Michael Rogers

    napalm68 Guest

    I'm not sure what the story was with the R1 release. The PAL region releases
    of the original was a beautiful anamorphic transfer.

    napalm68, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Michael Rogers

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    I love all the "Apes" movies and I wish they were all getting the same
    treatment.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Michael Rogers

    Peter Briggs Guest

    CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:

    > I love all the "Apes" movies and I wish they were all getting the same
    > treatment.

    I only care for the first two...the rest just seemed
    tired/cheesy/ludicrous/delete where applicable.

    Peter Briggs, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Michael Rogers

    Kishin Guest

    In article <>,
    Michael Rogers <> wrote:

    > http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2003/10_16.html
    >
    > Looks like much of the bonus material(except for the commentaries) is
    > straight out of the Image release of "Behind The Planet Of The Apes"
    > (including the documentary)but it will be great to have it anamorphic.

    I bought the VHS box set when it came out, but haven't yet replaced it
    on DVD. I guess I made the right choice. I can't wait to see it
    anamporphic!

    Kishin

    Kishin, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Michael Rogers

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >I only care for the first two...the rest just seemed
    >tired/cheesy/ludicrous/delete where applicable.

    The fifth movie was terrible, I'll grant you that, but the third and fourth
    movies were superior to the second.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Michael Rogers

    napalm68 Guest

    Hey, Nova and Chuck Heston were in the second... :)

    napalm68, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Michael Rogers

    Cernovog Guest

    In article
    <1g310n5.1vgsef61fur4hlN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk>,
    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote:

    > I only care for the first two...the rest just seemed
    > tired/cheesy/ludicrous/delete where applicable.

    The second movie was absolutely awful. I'd be interested in hearing
    what you find so entertaining about it.

    I'm amazed they actually made more movies after that horrible sequel.
    I suppose I'm glad they did. I thought the third movie was delightfully
    refreshing. This time the apes were the strangers in a strange world and
    Zira and Cornelius are such charismatic, likeable characters.

    Cernovog, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Michael Rogers

    Peter Briggs Guest

    CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:

    > >I only care for the first two...the rest just seemed
    > >tired/cheesy/ludicrous/delete where applicable.

    > The fifth movie was terrible, I'll grant you that, but the third and fourth
    > movies were superior to the second.

    You think? The shopping spree montage in "Escape" is just about one of
    the most embarrassing things I've ever seen.

    Peter Briggs, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Michael Rogers

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Cernovog <> wrote:

    > The second movie was absolutely awful. I'd be interested in hearing
    > what you find so entertaining about it.

    I'm boggled! I thought the third was the worst.

    Peter Briggs, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Michael Rogers

    Werz Mungle Guest

    One
    Two
    Four
    Three
    Five

    Werz Mungle, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Michael Rogers

    VanCanSte Guest

    >You think? The shopping spree montage in "Escape" is just about one of
    >the most embarrassing things I've ever seen.

    It was the most human of the five films and the shopping spree was to just
    garner more affection for the main characters. It certainly worked. It was the
    most emotional of the series and worked. Sure it was less action but that was
    not its intent.

    The second film seems to split alot of people. My brother felt the first half
    was good and the second was corny. I thought the first half was a rehash of the
    first and the second half was interesting. The very end of "beneath" is one of
    my favorite endings of any movie i have ever seen (the kahunah's of it!).

    Overall the series is quite good. The first movie is one of my all time
    favorites while the rest are mixed in parts but overall quite good...especially
    considering the time period they were made it. Considering most series of
    movies i think it is one of the highest quality.
    VAN

    VanCanSte, Oct 19, 2003
  13. Michael Rogers

    Peter Briggs Guest

    VanCanSte <> wrote:

    > It was the most human of the five films

    Okay.

    Stop there.

    The original movie is called "Planet Of The Apes".

    Would "Alien" be any better, if it were called "Alien Breakfast Club"?

    I think not!

    "Escape From The Planet Of The Apes" is an appalling pile of crap on
    every level (and wastes Eric Braeben, whom I think is terrific!)

    Peter Briggs, Oct 21, 2003
  14. Michael Rogers

    VanCanSte Guest

    >Okay.
    >
    >Stop there.
    >
    >The original movie is called "Planet Of The Apes".

    it was the most human, only 5 apes were ever in it. Far less than the others.

    >Would "Alien" be any better, if it were called "Alien Breakfast Club"?
    >
    >I think not!

    hmm you might be on to something...lol

    >"Escape From The Planet Of The Apes" is an appalling pile of crap on
    >every level (and wastes Eric Braeben, whom I think is terrific!)

    Eric did a great job. Did you not feel for the characters at all in the end?

    VAN

    VanCanSte, Oct 21, 2003
  15. Michael Rogers

    Peter Briggs Guest

    VanCanSte <> wrote:

    > Eric did a great job. Did you not feel for the characters at all in the end?

    Of course. But, it's still a very cheapo-cheapo contrived production.

    Peter Briggs, Oct 21, 2003
  16. Michael Rogers

    VanCanSte Guest

    >Of course. But, it's still a very cheapo-cheapo contrived production.

    Yeah well they cut the budgets on every single successive one. Too bad....
    VAN

    VanCanSte, Oct 22, 2003
  17. Michael Rogers

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >Of course. But, it's still a very cheapo-cheapo contrived production.

    It was low-budget but I'll take "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" over
    "Titanic" any day of the week.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Oct 22, 2003
  18. Michael Rogers

    Peter Briggs Guest

    CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:

    > >Of course. But, it's still a very cheapo-cheapo contrived production.

    > It was low-budget but I'll take "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" over
    > "Titanic" any day of the week.

    I'm no major fan of "Titanic", but -- really. That's just silly.

    Peter Briggs, Oct 22, 2003