    mark-ups were pretty savage.

    ------
    ~IRO

    IRO, Feb 22, 2004

  2. IRO

    Rupert Guest

    I think I got my Mac Plus for around NZ$1500, though I got the external FDD
    on top of that...
    Was Academic pricing though through Auckland University

    Rupert, Feb 22, 2004

  3. IRO

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:53:39 +1300, IRO
    <> wrote:

    >Any grey-beards around here recall the New Zealand price of the first
    >Macintosh computers back in 1984?
    >
    >They were US$2495 but the exchange rate and NZ taxes and wholesale
    >mark-ups were pretty savage.

    My recollection is that they were about $5500 to $7000 at various
    times. Mind you, those were the days when a 10Mb Hard disc cost about
    $9600.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Feb 22, 2004
  4. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:53:39 +1300, IRO wrote:

    > Any grey-beards around here recall the New Zealand price of the first
    > Macintosh computers back in 1984?

    I remember Lisas being about $25k...

    A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 23, 2004
  5. IRO

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:39 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using only 16k
    of RAM.

    IIRC they used the same CPU as the Apple 2e - an 8bit 6502 chip.

    Back then there was no Micro$oft. We shall yet liberate ourselves from
    that evil empire.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Feb 23, 2004
  6. IRO

    Nihil Guest

    In article <pan.2004.02.23.06.49.21.162811@TRACKER>, lid
    says...

    >On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:39 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >
    >> A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    >Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using only 16k
    >of RAM.

    Who needs 16K? I used to write decent programs on my 1K Casio PB-100.

    Well actually, I'm not even sure it had 1K.

    -- Nihil

    Nihil, Feb 23, 2004
  7. In <pan.2004.02.23.06.49.21.162811@TRACKER> Lennier wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:39 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >
    >> A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    > Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using only
    > 16k of RAM.
    >
    > IIRC they used the same CPU as the Apple 2e - an 8bit 6502 chip.
    >
    > Back then there was no Micro$oft. We shall yet liberate ourselves from
    > that evil empire.
    >

    > Lennier

    How old are you? :eek:)

    Commodore BASIC was licensed from Microsoft, so I think it's safe to
    assume Microsoft did exist back in 1977.

    Apple's original BASIC was written by Steve Wozniak, but it was later
    replaced by a Microsoft version.

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    "So we went to Atari and said, 'We've got this amazing thing, even built
    with some of your parts and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll
    give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work
    for you.' They said 'No'. Then we went to Hewlett-Packard; they said,
    'We don't need you. You haven't got through college yet'."

    Apple Computer founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and
    H-P interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 23, 2004
  8. IRO

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:49:21 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:39 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >
    >> A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    >Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using only 16k
    >of RAM.
    >
    >IIRC they used the same CPU as the Apple 2e - an 8bit 6502 chip.
    >
    >Back then there was no Micro$oft. We shall yet liberate ourselves from
    >that evil empire.

    That's not correct, but it's irelevant in any case.

    See http://apple2history.org/history/ah07.html for historical details.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Feb 23, 2004
  9. IRO

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:44:20 +0000, Nihil wrote:

    > Who needs 16K? I used to write decent programs on my 1K Casio PB-100.

    IIRC that gadget used a 4bit CPU. Am I remembering things correctly?

    Lennier

    Lennier, Feb 23, 2004
  10. IRO

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:37:39 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > Commodore BASIC was licensed from Microsoft, so I think it's safe to
    > assume Microsoft did exist back in 1977.
    >
    > Apple's original BASIC was written by Steve Wozniak, but it was later
    > replaced by a Microsoft version.

    I was using Commodore-basic long before I ever discovered Mbasic existed.

    This is why my programming ability is so pathetic. Far too much exposure
    to a beginner's language.... :eek:)

    Lennier

    Lennier, Feb 23, 2004
  11. IRO

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:37:39 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >> Back then there was no Micro$oft. We shall yet liberate ourselves from
    >> that evil empire.
    >>

    >> Lennier

    > How old are you? :eek:)
    >
    > Commodore BASIC was licensed from Microsoft, so I think it's safe to
    > assume Microsoft did exist back in 1977.

    Yeah MS was writing software for the Altair.

    Also MS wrote the Amiga BASIC that came bundled in AmigaOS in 1985 or so.
    Which despite being very buggy was my first exposure to WIMP GUI
    programming and event driven stuff with sprite collisions etc.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 23, 2004
  12. IRO

    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:39 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >
    >> A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    >Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using only 16k
    >of RAM.
    >
    >IIRC they used the same CPU as the Apple 2e - an 8bit 6502 chip.
    >
    >Back then there was no Micro$oft. We shall yet liberate ourselves from
    >that evil empire.

    See http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/comphist/comp1975.htm for the
    history.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Feb 23, 2004
  13. IRO

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In <pan.2004.02.23.06.49.21.162811@TRACKER> Lennier wrote:
    > > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:39 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > >
    > >> A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    > > Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using only
    > > 16k of RAM.
    > >
    > > IIRC they used the same CPU as the Apple 2e - an 8bit 6502 chip.
    > >
    > > Back then there was no Micro$oft. We shall yet liberate ourselves from
    > > that evil empire.
    > >

    > > Lennier

    > How old are you? :eek:)
    >
    > Commodore BASIC was licensed from Microsoft, so I think it's safe to
    > assume Microsoft did exist back in 1977.

    Yes they started around 1975.

    > Apple's original BASIC was written by Steve Wozniak, but it was later
    > replaced by a Microsoft version.

    Microsoft wrote the Basics for most of the early PCs.

    Mainlander, Feb 24, 2004
  14. IRO

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:53:39 +1300, IRO wrote:

    > Any grey-beards around here recall the New Zealand price of the first
    > Macintosh computers back in 1984?
    >
    > They were US$2495 but the exchange rate and NZ taxes and wholesale
    > mark-ups were pretty savage.
    >
    > ------
    > ~IRO

    I have a copy of "New Zealand Computer Reviews" Vol 2 No. 2
    dated "Winter 1984".
    It has what I presume to be the retail prices of most PC's
    and small business computers available at the time.

    Apple IIe
    single 140k floppy drive & monochrome monitor $3995

    Apple III
    with 5 MB hard disk & color monitor $9995

    Apple Lisa
    with 5 MB hard disk, mono monitor & printer $19,500

    Apple Macintosh
    with mon monitor, 400k floppy drive & 128k RAM $6828

    IBM PC
    with dual floppy disk, mono screen (color optional) $9879

    IBM XT
    with 10 MB hard disk!, mono screen (color optional) $14,647

    Commodore 64
    CPU and keyboard only (1 MHz 6510 CPU) $995

    Interesting to nate that the C64 roughly matches up in price
    to today's budget PC's.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Feb 25, 2004
  15. IRO

    mark Guest

    IRO <> wrote in news:iro.spring-
    :

    > Any grey-beards around here recall the New Zealand price of the first
    > Macintosh computers back in 1984?
    >
    > They were US$2495 but the exchange rate and NZ taxes and wholesale
    > mark-ups were pretty savage.
    >
    > ------
    > ~IRO

    I'll check it out at work tomorrow if i remember - i have a NZ newspaper
    with a full page add for the 128k Mac on it sitting in one of my cupboards
    :)

    mark, Feb 25, 2004
  16. IRO

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:00:11 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:37:39 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> Commodore BASIC was licensed from Microsoft, so I think it's safe to
    >> assume Microsoft did exist back in 1977.
    >>
    >> Apple's original BASIC was written by Steve Wozniak, but it was later
    >> replaced by a Microsoft version.

    > I was using Commodore-basic long before I ever discovered Mbasic existed.
    >
    > This is why my programming ability is so pathetic. Far too much exposure
    > to a beginner's language.... :eek:)

    lol - even complete and utter geeks like us had to start somewhere, why not
    basic

    Steven H - B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand
    ..net Geek

    Steven H, Feb 27, 2004
  17. IRO

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:44:20 GMT, (Nihil) wrote:

    >In article <pan.2004.02.23.06.49.21.162811@TRACKER>, lid
    >says...
    >>
    >>On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:58:39 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >>
    >>> A commodore PET/CBM was about $2000 then.

    >>Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using only 16k
    >>of RAM.

    >Who needs 16K? I used to write decent programs on my 1K Casio PB-100.
    >
    >Well actually, I'm not even sure it had 1K.

    Do you want me to tell you about my ICT 1600 - with the big memory -
    400 x 64k words?

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Feb 27, 2004
  18. IRO

    harry Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:44:20 GMT, (Nihil) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <pan.2004.02.23.06.49.21.162811@TRACKER>,
    >> lid says...

    >>> Lovely machines - one could do a remarkable amount of stuff using
    >>> only 16k of RAM.

    >> Who needs 16K? I used to write decent programs on my 1K Casio PB-100.
    >>
    >> Well actually, I'm not even sure it had 1K.
    >>

    > Do you want me to tell you about my ICT 1600 - with the big memory -
    > 400 x 64k words?

    <montypython>
    You were lucky !!
    </montypython>

    harry, Feb 27, 2004
  19. IRO

    harry Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:37:39 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> Commodore BASIC was licensed from Microsoft, so I think it's safe to
    >> assume Microsoft did exist back in 1977.
    >>
    >> Apple's original BASIC was written by Steve Wozniak, but it was later
    >> replaced by a Microsoft version.

    > I was using Commodore-basic long before I ever discovered Mbasic
    > existed.
    >
    > This is why my programming ability is so pathetic. Far too much
    > exposure to a beginner's language.... :eek:)
    >

    > Lennier

    FWIW Apple et al just made versions of BASIC for their respective platforms.

    BASIC Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. Basic is the
    computer language created by John Kemeny at Dartmouth College in the late
    1960s. It's popular because it is easy to learn and use.

    harry, Feb 27, 2004
  20. IRO

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Murray Symon <> wrote:

    > > Any grey-beards around here recall the New Zealand price of the first
    > > Macintosh computers back in 1984?
    > >
    > > They were US$2495 but the exchange rate and NZ taxes and wholesale
    > > mark-ups were pretty savage.
    > >
    > > ------
    > > ~IRO

    > I have a copy of "New Zealand Computer Reviews" Vol 2 No. 2
    > dated "Winter 1984".
    > It has what I presume to be the retail prices of most PC's
    > and small business computers available at the time.
    >
    > Apple IIe
    > single 140k floppy drive & monochrome monitor $3995
    >
    > Apple III
    > with 5 MB hard disk & color monitor $9995
    >
    > Apple Lisa
    > with 5 MB hard disk, mono monitor & printer $19,500
    >
    > Apple Macintosh
    > with mon monitor, 400k floppy drive & 128k RAM $6828
    >
    > IBM PC
    > with dual floppy disk, mono screen (color optional) $9879
    >
    > IBM XT
    > with 10 MB hard disk!, mono screen (color optional) $14,647
    >
    > Commodore 64
    > CPU and keyboard only (1 MHz 6510 CPU) $995
    >
    > Interesting to nate that the C64 roughly matches up in price
    > to today's budget PC's.

    Thanks, Murray, you're a gent!
    I'm wondering if there was some sort of tax or duty on top of those
    figures, is there any suggestion of that?. GST didn't kick in until 1986.

    A local guru put the Mac 128 at $8000 about the price of a
    top-of-the-line Mac today, but your findings are in B&W.

    Also interesting that the IBM PC, admittedly with 2 floppies, is also
    more expensive than that first Mac.

    Just goes to show.

    ------
    ~IRO