    apply the proper value to the EXIF tag?

    Thanks,

    JW

    Jerry West, Feb 7, 2006

  2. "Jerry West" <> writes:

    > I noticed the EXIF tag for Orientation using a graphics program. All of my
    > pics, taken with an Oly 3030Z, always indicate a Landscape orientation. Is
    > the camera supposed to know what orientation I'm holding it in which to
    > apply the proper value to the EXIF tag?

    Newer cameras have orientation sensors (for example, the E-300 and newer E-*
    cameras have an orientation sensor, I don't know about the newer prosumer
    cameras). On older Olympus cameras, such my C-2100UZ and my E-1, if you go
    into review mode, there is an option to rotate the picture. This option will
    set the Orientation field. I use this before uploading the pictures, because
    my upload software looks at the Orientation field.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Jerry West

    Jerry West Guest

    Thanks for the info. I have an older Oly 3030Z. It doesn't update the field
    and I've never noticed a function to rotate the image...I'll have to poke
    around more. I've searched many pics on the Internet and have yet to find
    one that has the field properly set. Perhaps, as you say, only the newer
    cameras do this at time of digitizing the pic.

    Again, thanks for the info.

    JW

    Jerry West, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Jerry West

    Guest

    Canon Powershots have been setting the orientation field for years.
    Most online camera review sites will tell you which models have
    orientation sensors. You don't usually see the orientation EXIF field
    set on the web because web browsers don't generally honor it. Software
    for uploading pictures to web sites will often rotate based on the EXIF
    field, then adjust the field or strip it.

    , Feb 16, 2006