    Owner and photographer
    FieldsArt Studios
    www.delawarestudio.com

    Fitpix, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Fitpix wrote:
    > OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me
    > organize all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would
    > like some other opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would
    > be cataloging and locating my images based upon key words. Let's say
    > I shoot Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image
    > w "waterfall", "Hocking Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to
    > type in a key word and have the software bring up the matches in a
    > thumbnail etc.

    An Ohio boy I see.

    There are a lot of possibilities. The choice is really more about
    personal preferences than intrinsic value.

    I use Adobe's Elements 3 which has both the organizational software and
    editing software. It fits my way of working and needs well.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 21, 2005

  3. "Fitpix" <> writes:

    > OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
    > all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
    > opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
    > locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
    > Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
    > Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
    > software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

    That's one of the big names, the other is Thumbs Plus from Cerious
    Software. I haven't used Extensis, so I can't compare them. Thumbs
    Plus is good with its database and keywords, and lets you save and
    repeat common queries, or lets you manually assign photos to
    "galleries", virtual collections of photos.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 21, 2005
  4. Fitpix

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <buD%d.2134$>,
    "Fitpix" <> wrote:

    > OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
    > all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
    > opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
    > locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
    > Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
    > Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
    > software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

    If Portfolio fits your workflow, it's a very nice program in my opinion.
    I have used it since it was called Aldus Fetch.

    I have 2 databases with different workflow; one is just a CD-catalog of
    "everything"; keywording is very limited and is done using folder names.
    For example I have a folder "client A" with a folder "project B" in it,
    with the images in that folder. These terms automatically become
    keywords. usually searching for "client A" and sorting by date will let
    me find anything quickly.

    The other one (stock, files reside on harddrives) is keyworded entirely
    in Photoshop, while preparing/retouching the individual files. Portfolio
    automatically reads all the embedded data. This database has a massive
    amount of keywords and has big-previews enabled.

    Both these -together- cover my needs very well; I can find anything
    ultrafast in my keyworded stock-image database, and I can find stuff in
    my CD-archive quickly enough.

    Download the demo and play with it for a while, see if you like it.
    There are a few similar programs, like Canto Cumulus and Fotostation.
    (personally I think fotostation is really bad, but I know a few people
    who swear by it... you'll have to judge for yourself.) In general
    software that needs you to adapt to it is a waste of time; you should be
    able to find software that can be adapted -easily- to how YOU work.
    Portfolio is highly customizable but still you may prefer something else.

    PS: I also use iPhoto, just for the family-snaps.

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Mar 21, 2005
  5. Fitpix

    be_pissed Guest

    Fitpix wrote:
    > OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
    > all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
    > opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
    > locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
    > Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
    > Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
    > software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

    I was recommended to try IMatch. About 4 days after trying it I knew it
    was what I wanted so bought it. I probably still only use about 2-5% of
    the features it has.
    It might not be what you're after as but is definitely worth looking at.
    I'm an amateur with over 36000 images cataloged. One day I will sift
    through them and keyword and sort them. ;-)

    Check out : http://www.photools.com

    be_pissed, Mar 21, 2005
  6. Fitpix

    Guest

    Hi,

    Anyphoto Manager may help you. It is a professional photo management
    software which can help you acquire, organize, browse, edit or
    optimize and share your digital photos. A trial is available is from
    http://www.any-photo-album-software.com

    , Mar 22, 2005
  7. I found that the free Picasa from Google is excellent.
    http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzY3
    The only one think which I do not like is the saving files. It always
    creates new files and you cannot overwrite the original image. There is a
    work around, which is unnecessary pain. It duplicates film processing. You
    have negative and create images from it. The negative always stays the same.
    To me this is silly idea in this digital age. If I want to keep the original
    image then I would normally use Save As and save it under different name.
    There is no such option. This program has excellent features to enhance the
    images, catalog, labels and is extremely easy to use.

    There is another silliness:
    The new names have this format:
    Original my format: 0503210001.jpg
    Picasa" 05032100011.jpg, then 050321000111.jpg. and so on

    The final sort becomes:
    0503210001.jpg
    0503210002.jpg
    0503210003.jpg
    ..
    ..
    ..
    0503210051.jpg
    0503210052.jpg
    05032100011.jpg this is variation of the 1st image
    05032100021.jpg this is variation of the 2nd image
    050321000111.jpg this is 2nd variation of the 1st image

    The bottom line is that the images are not sorted in relation to the
    original, but it creates several clusters of the post-processed images.

    It is very close to which I always wanted: simplicity for the most common
    tasks and cataloging of the same image into different categories: You select
    thumbnails, right click and select (or create) label "Mother", apply, select
    "Father", apply, add another picture/ select "daughter", apply....

    Jan

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Mar 22, 2005
  8. Fitpix

    adm Guest

    "Jan Nademlejnsky" <> wrote in message
    >I found that the free Picasa from Google is excellent.
    >http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzY3
    > The only one think which I do not like is the saving files. It always
    > creates new files and you cannot overwrite the original image. There is a
    > work around, which is unnecessary pain. It duplicates film processing. You
    > have negative and create images from it. The negative always stays the
    > same. To me this is silly idea in this digital age. If I want to keep the
    > original image then I would normally use Save As and save it under
    > different name. There is no such option. This program has excellent
    > features to enhance the images, catalog, labels and is extremely easy to
    > use.

    Ah - now for me, that's EXACTLY what I want. Especially as Picasa now
    supports RAW files.

    I want to keep the exactl original as a digital negative, and then if I just
    want to make quick prints, I make adjustments in Picasa and export to .jpg
    files for the lab. If I want to make significant changes to the original, I
    open it in Photoshop, then save the result using "save as" either as a TIFF
    or jpg.

    > It is very close to which I always wanted: simplicity for the most common
    > tasks and cataloging of the same image into different categories: You
    > select thumbnails, right click and select (or create) label "Mother",
    > apply, select "Father", apply, add another picture/ select "daughter",
    > apply....

    I love it - as a browser, cataloguer, emailer etc.... It's also good for
    quick simple fixes. Of course, it is not a decent image editor by any
    stretch of the imagination, but then that's why I have Photoshop.

    adm, Mar 22, 2005
  9. Fitpix

    Fitpix Guest

    "be_pissed" <> wrote in message

    > Fitpix wrote:
    >> OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me
    >> organize all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like
    >> some other opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be
    >> cataloging and locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot
    >> Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w
    >> "waterfall", "Hocking Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type
    >> in a key word and have the software bring up the matches in a thumbnail
    >> etc.

    > I was recommended to try IMatch. About 4 days after trying it I knew it
    > was what I wanted so bought it. I probably still only use about 2-5% of
    > the features it has.
    > It might not be what you're after as but is definitely worth looking at.
    > I'm an amateur with over 36000 images cataloged. One day I will sift
    > through them and keyword and sort them. ;-)
    >
    > Check out : http://www.photools.com

    Actually after I posted this yesterday I kept my search going and came
    across IMatch and downloaded the evaluation. I am getting my images organzed
    today and will let you know what I think!

    Fitpix, Mar 22, 2005
  10. Fitpix

    be_pissed Guest

    Good luck .. IMatch is pretty intense, but I liked the features, and
    it's what I wanted... mainly, offline media thumbnails (CD's, DVD's etc)
    and the ability to add keyword info, pop them into catagories, search
    for images of similar type, size, duplicates or apearence ... and of
    course the ability to grow.
    Slightly technical I suppose but the help info supplied is very in depth
    if needed.

    be_pissed, Mar 22, 2005
  11. Don in Colorado, Mar 23, 2005
  12. Fitpix

    Julian Tan Guest

    Hi David,

    For freeware, you should look at Picasa (http://www.picasa.com) - it's
    fast and has image tagging and keyword features.

    If you're after commecial software, I'd recommend Adobe Photoshop
    Elements - it has both image editing functions and also album
    management.

    Cheers,
    Julian
    http://www.shuttertalk.com - The friendliest photograpy discussion
    forums on the net!

    Julian Tan, Mar 23, 2005
  13. Fitpix

    Guest

    I would also recommend Anyphoto Manager for organization images. It is
    a professional digital photo management software, which can help you
    acquire, organize, browse, optimize/edit and share your images. Try it
    at http://www.any-photo-album-software.com

    , Mar 25, 2005