    they still do not get organised chronologically.
    This is frustrating because I know I am missing something very basic :)
    Any help very much appreciated, thanks.

    MB, Dec 24, 2003

  2. MB

    Angel Guest

    YYYYMMDD

    "MB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Win XP and I am trying to catalogue my picture folders using
    > ACDSEE. I want to name the root folders by date (using the British

    dd/mm/yy
    > format so January 21 2003 would be 21 01 03). When I have entered a series
    > of dates like this, they do not arrange themselves in chronological order,
    > so January 21 would be followed, say, by March 30 (30 03 03) and so on.
    > My question is, how do I name folders by date so they will be organised in
    > chronological order? I have tried inserting a hyphen between the numbers
    > (eg. 21-01-03) and even reverting to the American date system (01 21 03)

    but

    Angel, Dec 24, 2003

  3. MB

    RustY © Guest

    "MB" <> wrote in message
    I want to name the root folders by date (using the British dd/mm/yy
    > format so January 21 2003 would be 21 01 03).
    > This is frustrating because I know I am missing something very basic :)
    > Any help very much appreciated, thanks.

    You will have to write them backwards so today's folder is - 031224.

    That way they are all in order unless you have digitals from the last
    century in which case you will have to write the whole year - or just put
    then in a separate folder called 20th Century Shots !
    --
    For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

    RustY ©, Dec 24, 2003
  4. MB

    Basiltoo Guest

    "MB" <> wrote in

    > I'm running Win XP and I am trying to catalogue my picture folders
    > using ACDSEE. I want to name the root folders by date (using the
    > British dd/mm/yy format so January 21 2003 would be 21 01 03). When I
    > have entered a series of dates like this, they do not arrange
    > themselves in chronological order,

    Name as the other posters suggest and remember to sort by name!

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    http://www.trevellan.co.uk

    Basiltoo, Dec 24, 2003
  5. "Angel" <Angel@Utopia_SpamMeNot.Uk.Com> wrote in message
    > YYYYMMDD

    or:

    YYYY\MM\DD

    or:

    YYYY-MM-DD

    I think you get the message!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 24, 2003
  6. MB

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Of course if you need a short date, you can use Julian date, 04001 for January
    1, 2004, 04002 for January 2nd, etc.

    Of course if you have images dated before the year 2000 you would be in
    trouble.
    Remember the Y2K discussions?
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 24, 2003
  7. "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Of course if you need a short date, you can use Julian date, 04001 for

    January
    > 1, 2004, 04002 for January 2nd, etc.
    >
    > Of course if you have images dated before the year 2000 you would be in
    > trouble.
    > Remember the Y2K discussions?
    > Rosita

    ---------

    A working indexing system....

    I shoot mainly film but post edit in digital and print to paper and, so,
    have a need to index the same image in film, paper and digital forms. I do
    this using Julian dates as an easily transferable system of identification
    that can be related to the original medium, the digital intermediate and the
    paper output...so...

    date, roll and frame number becomes last year digit+Julian date(3 digits)+2
    digit roll number+0 (zero)*+2 digit frame number

    This is non repeating over ten years such as today's date =
    3(year)+358(Julian)

    The 15th frame of the first roll of film today produces the index number
    015* - thus the whole ID number will be 335801015

    * This zero preceding the frame number is required if shooting digital
    because some digital storage media can store in excess of 99 images.

    If shooting digital you can easily separate the digital shot images by
    substituting "99" for the film number - so, if I was shooting digital today
    instead of film the number for the same frame would be: 335899015

    Any frame that is worked on digitally and saved or to be printed as a
    variation of the original add an alpha suffix - so the film version would be
    33580115 for the original film and the post edit versions become 335801015A,
    B, C...

    In an image browser, then, the original and post edit images will be
    interleaved with other rolls and frames but kept as a group and placed in
    sequence with the number of the original as follows (without respect to the
    file extension):

    335801015.tif or .jpg (the original)
    335801015A.psd (keeping the Photoshop layers property open, for example)
    335801015B.jpg (perhaps a layer flattened "save for web" version)
    335801015C.tif (saved uncompressed and with layers flattened for print
    publication)

    The system works. It is especially useful if later you want to locate an
    image you shot some time ago. Simply by knowing the year and the approximate
    date you can roughly locate a single image out of thousands - then just
    browse for the one you want.

    ------

    On a separate but related issue

    Are you storing or archiving lots of images on CDs to clear out your HD?
    Here is a PC utility (disclib = disc library) that creates searchable folder
    and file name indexes from the CD folders and file trees:

    SOURCED AT (when I last checked)
    http://www.lyrasoftware.com/disclib/

    about disclib: (FREEWARE)

    Disclib is a CD collection organizer program. It may be used as a catalogue
    of CDs. After creating the catalogue, disclib stores file and folder names
    and tree, allows user to categorize folders and files, and allows searching
    all the files from the collection CDs without need to place them in CD
    reader.

    Disclib may place in the catalogue any windows folder not only folders on
    CDs. Disclib has a customizable Multilanguage functionality. The program
    also extracts mp3 info.

    Journalist

    Journalist-North, Dec 24, 2003
  8. MB

    Guest Guest

    MB> Hi,
    MB> I'm running Win XP and I am trying to catalogue my picture folders using
    MB> ACDSEE. I want to name the root folders by date (using the British dd/mm/yy
    MB> format so January 21 2003 would be 21 01 03). When I have entered a series
    MB> of dates like this, they do not arrange themselves in chronological order,
    MB> so January 21 would be followed, say, by March 30 (30 03 03) and so on.
    MB> My question is, how do I name folders by date so they will be organised in
    MB> chronological order? I have tried inserting a hyphen between the numbers
    MB> (eg. 21-01-03) and even reverting to the American date system (01 21 03) but
    MB> they still do not get organised chronologically.
    MB> This is frustrating because I know I am missing something very basic :)
    MB> Any help very much appreciated, thanks.

    yyyy-mm-dd

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)

    Guest, Dec 24, 2003
  9. MB

    Terry K. Guest

    Filenames are sorted in ASCII character order ... Ie ... # and * come
    before A and a. And, 01 comes before 1. Think about it. Try renaming
    some files in a directory and using a $ for the first character. When
    you re-sort the renamed files, all the new "$" files are at the top of the
    Alpha sort list.

    If you intend for your file naming convention to span a decade, you must
    use all four characters of the year.

    YYYYMMDD or some permutation. (use "." or "-" as separators)

    Happy NY ...

    How do you tell when you're out of invisible inkHow do you tell when
    you're out of invisible ink?

    Terry K., Dec 28, 2003
  10. On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:41:42 -0800, "Terry K." <>
    wrote:

    Through the year I use the MMDDYY format,
    The British DDMMYY format does not lend itself to being alphabetized
    as you will end up with the first day of January followed by the first
    day in February... etc.

    >Filenames are sorted in ASCII character order ... Ie ... # and * come
    >before A and a. And, 01 comes before 1. Think about it. Try renaming
    >some files in a directory and using a $ for the first character. When
    >you re-sort the renamed files, all the new "$" files are at the top of the
    >Alpha sort list.
    >
    >If you intend for your file naming convention to span a decade, you must
    >use all four characters of the year.

    I simply make all folders for a year into sub folders for the year.
    IE everything I shot in 2002 is in a folder named 2002, and those in
    2003 go into a folder named 2003. If I don't do that the number of
    folders in the one directory gets more than a little unwieldy.
    Actually it's a problem when I group all sub folders (sessions) under
    the year. I tread each download as if it were a roll of film taken in
    for developing and name the file for the day I download the CF into
    the computer. If I download three CFs then I separate them in the
    following manner, using today as an example. 12-28-03, 12-28-03A,
    12-28-03B... IE December 28, 2003. The MMDDYY lends itself well to
    alphabetizing. Note the use of dashes instead of the slant bar. My
    computer will not let me use either /, or \ in naming conventions.

    >YYYYMMDD or some permutation. (use "." or "-" as separators)
    >
    >Happy NY ...
    >

    >How do you tell when you're out of invisible inkHow do you tell when
    >you're out of invisible ink?
    >"MB" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm running Win XP and I am trying to catalogue my picture folders using
    >> ACDSEE. I want to name the root folders by date (using the British

    >dd/mm/yy
    >> format so January 21 2003 would be 21 01 03). When I have entered a

    >series
    >> of dates like this, they do not arrange themselves in chronological

    >order,
    >> so January 21 would be followed, say, by March 30 (30 03 03) and so on.
    >> My question is, how do I name folders by date so they will be organised

    >in
    >> chronological order? I have tried inserting a hyphen between the numbers
    >> (eg. 21-01-03) and even reverting to the American date system (01 21 03)

    >but
    >> they still do not get organised chronologically.
    >> This is frustrating because I know I am missing something very basic :)
    >> Any help very much appreciated, thanks.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Dec 28, 2003