    CD-RW) on the same IDE channel?

    --
    Dave
    Dave Hardenbrook, Jul 14, 2005

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jul 14, 2005

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:26:49 GMT, Dave Hardenbrook
    <> wrote:

    >In regard to the installation of IDE devices on a new system, I've been
    >reading in some A+ books that the boot hard drive *must* be the Primary
    >Master

    Primary master is the first device BIOS checks for a boot image.
    So, your system will boot faster from the primary master.
    (Also: some systems just cannot boot from a slave device.)

    >, and the ATAPI devices *must* be Slaves.

    Not to my knowledge :)
    But a simple fact is that almost all CD and DVD devices come
    preconfigured as slave.

    >But would I get better performance if I rearranged things so that the
    >hard drive was PM? Also, does it affect performance to have two drives
    >that do a lot of exchanging of data (e.g. a hard drive and a
    >CD-RW) on the same IDE channel?

    If you just have 2 devices, put them on separate channels.
    (It only costs you an extra cable but improves performance.)

    If you want to exchange lots of data between 2 devices you
    generally want to put them on different channels.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    Glenn Guest

    IDE channels will self-configure to the slowest device on the channel.
    if you have a hard drive and a CD on the same channel your hard drive
    WILL run at the speed of the CD.

    Glenn, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Dave Hardenbrook

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:52:13 GMT, Glenn <>
    wrote:

    >IDE channels will self-configure to the slowest device on the channel.
    >if you have a hard drive and a CD on the same channel your hard drive
    >WILL run at the speed of the CD.

    No, it won't.
    This used to be true in the early days of IDE. But current IDE
    (actually: EIDE) devices run at their own speed.

    The only thing that would slow down your harddisk is the fact
    that the harddisk cannot transfer data during the time the CD is
    occupying the channel.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Jul 15, 2005
  6. Dave Hardenbrook

    AG Guest

    "Dave Hardenbrook" <> wrote in message
    > In regard to the installation of IDE devices on a new system, I've been
    > reading in some A+ books that the boot hard drive *must* be the Primary
    > Master, and the ATAPI devices *must* be Slaves. My own system was self-
    > built, and it has a DVD-ROM as the Primary Master, the hard drive the
    > Secondary Master, and a CD-RW as Primary Slave -- The system runs fine.
    > But would I get better performance if I rearranged things so that the
    > hard drive was PM? Also, does it affect performance to have two drives
    > that do a lot of exchanging of data (e.g. a hard drive and a
    > CD-RW) on the same IDE channel?
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Discussion of EIDE:
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/unstdEIDE-c.html
    According to the above article EIDE is a Western Digital thing and they keep
    redefining it, which could be much of the reason for confusion.
    Look at your motherboard manual. It will tell you what they recommend for
    your particular system as far as what they support. From my research over
    the years I've gleaned the following.
    1. At one time if you plugged a CD ROM and a HD into the same bus the HD
    would run at the same speed as the CDROM. This slowed things down.
    2. Now this appears not to be the case but if you have an older system it
    could be.
    3. Your system looks where you tell it to boot. I saw a board a couple of
    weeks ago that never gave any type of setup screen on startup and needed to
    be reset in order to install Windows XP. The person that was doing it was
    totally confused by the fact that after doing the first part of the install
    on Windows it didn't reboot properly. For some reason once went into the
    setup screen and looked at the drives the Windows XP install restarted.
    There are people that have different operating systems installed on
    different drives on the same system and just change the boot order to decide
    which OS to boot. This seems to be a little clumsy to me but what the heck
    it's their system.

    AG
    AG, Jul 16, 2005