Order 64Bit Edition or not?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?=, May 18, 2005.

  1. Hi!

    Im in the dark regarding 64bit processing tech. I just orderd a new cpu via
    an offering from my workplace. The cpu uses the new intel processor with
    support for 64bit.

    I have read as much info i can find regarding 64bit and in my point of view
    it seems to have more advantages then drawbacks.

    My cpu use consists mainly of video and musik rending and mixing, and some
    seroius gaming:) I have noticed the extreme cpu usage of heavy video rending
    and 64mit seem to remedy this.

    So my main question is should i order 64bit windows? Why im asking is that
    im a bit of a coward and perhapes need a push in the right direction :) My
    "cowardness" is related to my cpu usage. I know you cant answear compability
    problems/questions cause of the huge amout of combos in hardware/software.
    But can i take advantage of the 64bit for my purpose of video rending and
    gaming or should i stick to xp?Like i said i would "catalog" myself as a high
    end home user that dont use the cpu for work with ex cad models....

    Im not a "pro" that can tweak systems exactly as a want and so on....i feel
    more comfortable with more or less easy managable systems (not a system you
    have to manually change alot) if you know what i mean.

    this is the processor i orderd in my "package" together with 1,5 gig ram,
    and radeon 850 graphic card.

    Speed Cache size Hyper-Threading Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology Intel®
    EM64TΦ System Bus Package

    3.60 GHz 2 MB Yes Yes Yes 800 MHz

    Pentium 4 processor 660Δ with HT Technology
    =?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?=, May 18, 2005

  2. You fit the bill perfectly for x64, heavy video editing, music rendering
    those are two of the technical areas that Windows XP x64 was designed for,
    plus serious gaming.

    As for drawbacks, as for any new technology such as 64 bit computing there
    will be some lag in support but this will eventually pass and very quick
    too, it is kind off to bumpy start but I can gurantee by the end of this
    year it should be welcome experience for those who have migrated because of
    the performance in power and value.

    Let me make sure, when you said:
    Video Editing - I am not talking about - Windows Movie Maker
    Music Rendering - I am not talking about - Burning CD's
    Serious Gaming - Solitaire or PinBall does not apply here.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    "Kind of a newbie" <Kind of a > wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?=

    R. B. Guest

    If you're not sure yet, I would recommend spending the $6 and order a
    trial CD to try it out first. :)

    R. B., May 18, 2005
  4. I forgot about that:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/ 64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

    Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2005
  5. Kind of a newbie wrote:

    > My cpu use consists mainly of video and musik rending and mixing, and some
    > seroius gaming:) I have noticed the extreme cpu usage of heavy video rending
    > and 64mit seem to remedy this.

    That depends mostly on the software you use. Do you have any native
    64bit applications available, or do you expect to get them soon? I
    couldn't find any 64bit application that I would use (not even a working
    firefox), so I went back to regular XP after the trial.

    > Im not a "pro" that can tweak systems exactly as a want and so on....i feel
    > more comfortable with more or less easy managable systems (not a system you
    > have to manually change alot) if you know what i mean.

    That is a very strong point against x64. Just read about the problems
    here: there are a lot of issues that are tricky even for a seasoned
    "pro". And for some hardware categories like consumer printers, webcams,
    modems etc, there are just no drivers available yet.

    > this is the processor i orderd in my "package" together with 1,5 gig ram,
    > and radeon 850 graphic card.

    Now this is only a rumour, but I heard that the P4 does not get the same
    amount of a performance boost by running 64bit applications as the
    Athlon64. The difference is not big, but then again the "boost" is only
    in the order of 10-20% to start with for most apps.

    All considered I would say: give it a try, but if you don't see any
    tangible benefit, than go with the tried an trusted XP. If, on the other
    hand, you can get x64 preinstalled, take that offer.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, May 18, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?=

    Monster Guest

    Features not supported in x64
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

    some of which include

    Digital Media
    The following digital media features are not included with Windows XP 64-Bit
    Edition:

    a.. Digital video disc (DVD) video playback
    b.. CD Recording
    c.. Kodak Imaging Accessory
    d.. Windows MediaT Player
    e.. A subset of Windows MediaT Technologies
    a.. DirectMusic®
    b.. Microsoft TV Technologies for Windows®
    c.. Video mixing renderer (VMR)
    f.. NetMeeting®
    g.. IEEE 1394 audio
    h.. Fax

    you might want to make sure the applications you will be using will work
    properly on x64 first I guess

    Monster, May 18, 2005
  7. Where did you get that from Monster, all of those features are in XP Pro
    x64.

    Andre Da Costa, May 18, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    It looks like IA64 support not x64.

    Dennis Pack, May 19, 2005
  9. Monster wrote:
    > Features not supported in x64
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

    Wrong. This document applies to "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" which is the
    Itanium version now discontinued.

    The document that presents the different behaviours between Windows XP Pro
    SP2 32-Bit and Windows XP Pro x64 Edition is here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...95d2-f5c3a9037e68&displaylang=en&Hash=QR6DBM4

    Regards,

    --
    Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
    Division Développeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France
    Christophe Lauer [MS], May 19, 2005
  10. "Monster" <> wrote in message
    > Features not supported in x64
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp
    >
    > some of which include

    That is not a relevant article - it is for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition; that
    is the now no longer produced Itanium (IA-64) product - NOT the Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 19, 2005
  11. Thx for major feedback:)
    Thats what i thought also when you stated that i fit the profile :) heavy
    gaming and video rending.

    And no....not rending film in moviemaker...more of an adobie fan.
    Adobie premiere for movie rending (learning by doing havent had the energy
    to go through 3000 pages in the manual), and adobie audition for musik
    rending wich by the way is an awsome program. Gaming wise.....lot of Guild
    Wars online, and more of heavy graphic demanding games like farcry,deus x 2.

    You right about eventual driver problems for the programs...havent got
    around to look into that...a must i suppose.

    But hopefully adobie will be quick if they dont already have drivers for my
    software cause i almost went bankrupt when i bought them:) So for that price
    i would say i will demand them to do proper changes lol.

    About test version...ive been reading about it and it says it will be on
    download soon. You dont need to buy a "test/beta" key if i got it right.
    Probably be a registration, then you can download it.?

    I actually spoke to the supplyer of my computer but they cant fix win64 on
    it:(
    There is 2 things that bugs me actually, cause i live in country far, far
    away where polar bears roams the streets :) Here in Sweden 99% of all
    computers that is on retail come with home edition not pro....so no upgrade
    there:(
    And the fantasy prices i see in the US or even australia where they sell
    win64 for 220 austaralien dollars. In Sweden standard price for a xp pro is
    500-550$:(
    Why dont MS adopt more of a download aproach, here in sweden now more than
    50% of the population has boradband/cabel in their homes. I actually just
    have 8mbit so that something i have to remedy (24mbit cost the same).

    Enough naging but you see my point...we swedes lack the option of exampel
    pay some more and get a xp pro version when you buy a computer.ill fix a
    trial version first then i ill decide.
    (perhapes i can change 4 xp home edition licenses for a pro or win64, cause
    that what i have....this is 4 computer i buy so i have 4 xp home
    editions...weee)
    =?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?=, May 19, 2005
  12. Feel like i lost my topic in my last post...sorry for that.
    All i mean is that im curious about win64 and buy a not so cheap computer
    if i may say so that have the features to use this "new" technology.
    But i cant get the software (operting system) i want so i can use this 64bit
    system....i will get stuck with another xp home that i can throw in the trash
    cause i already have 3, cause i dont have the option to upgrade to another
    version of the operating system when i buy a new computer with all belongings
    for about 3700$. Dealers on the net in sweden and in stores just tell me
    "that if i want to upgrade i have to buy for exampel xp pro as a standalone
    package for about 550$. And i think that sucks to be honest.
    =?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?=, May 19, 2005
  13. Kind of a newbie wrote:

    > i will get stuck with another xp home that i can throw in the trash
    > cause i already have 3, cause i dont have the option to upgrade to another
    > version of the operating system when i buy a new computer with all belongings
    > for about 3700$. Dealers on the net in sweden and in stores just tell me
    > "that if i want to upgrade i have to buy for exampel xp pro as a standalone
    > package for about 550$. And i think that sucks to be honest.

    I have noticed big price differences for computers in the EU, too. Why
    don't you order it online from a German company? Shipping is usually a
    bit expensive, but otherwise prices there seem to be a lot more
    reasonable than in most other countries. Might have to do with the size
    of the market.

    Still, if you can't get x64 preinstalled, I would not go for it in your
    place.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, May 19, 2005
  14. I suspected he was referring to Itanium.

    Andre Da Costa, May 20, 2005