    --

    .... Brendan

    "In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented six feet downward and covered with dirt." -- Blair P. Houghton

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/09/2004 1:03:15 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Brendan

    EMB Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert to
    > posts orcon users send through it.
    >
    > Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
    > newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

    *FAAAAARK* With ihug ripping their customers off blind for UBS I was
    going to move to Orcon, but it sounds like they're so technically inept
    that they can't even organise a newsfeed that works properly. Phone up
    Orcon and express your displeasure directly to someone senior like Seeby
    - he's bloody good at actually answering the phone and seeing that
    action gets taken.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Brendan

    Worm Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message

    > Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert to
    > posts orcon users send through it.
    >
    > Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
    > newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

    I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why nz.comp
    had gone so quiet...

    The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are! Ugh.
    Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

    Worm

    Worm, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Brendan

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Worm said the following on 17/09/2004 11:01:
    > "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert to
    >>posts orcon users send through it.
    >>
    >>Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
    >>newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

    > I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why nz.comp
    > had gone so quiet...
    >
    > The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are! Ugh.
    > Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

    Yep, POP3 from anywhere
    Collector-NZ, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Worm wrote:
    > "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert
    >> to posts orcon users send through it.
    >>
    >> Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
    >> newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

    > I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
    > nz.comp had gone so quiet...
    >
    > The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
    > Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

    I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.

    Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password and the
    ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe with a paid-for
    username and password?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2004
  6. Brendan

    Collector-NZ Guest

    ~misfit~ said the following on 17/09/2004 12:32:

    > Worm wrote:
    >
    >>"Brendan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert
    >>>to posts orcon users send through it.
    >>>
    >>>Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
    >>>newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

    >>I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
    >>nz.comp had gone so quiet...
    >>
    >>The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
    >>Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

    > I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
    >
    > Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password and the
    > ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe with a paid-for
    > username and password?
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Wasnt he asking about mail (POP3) not news (NNTP)
    Collector-NZ, Sep 17, 2004
  7. Brendan

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <Eeq2d.3368$>,
    says...
    > Worm wrote:
    > > "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Orcon's news server (at newsfeeds.com) is again appending an advert
    > >> to posts orcon users send through it.
    > >>
    > >> Is it just me or is Orcon really getting slack these days ? Or is it
    > >> newsfeeds.com who need some suing ?

    > > I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
    > > nz.comp had gone so quiet...
    > >
    > > The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
    > > Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

    > I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
    >
    > Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password and the
    > ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe with a paid-for
    > username and password?
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    You sure misfit ? I'm with orcon and don't. And I was with another ISP
    who have no news service and they said to use orcons and again I didn't
    need user/pass.

    That said the service is shit lately. Just had to reset again as it
    borked all the number count yesterday so am now getting all headers
    again to sort through. Will reply to your ssri one when I get to
    nz.wanted.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > In article <Eeq2d.3368$>,
    > says...
    >> Worm wrote:
    >>> "Brendan" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
    >>> nz.comp had gone so quiet...
    >>>
    >>> The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
    >>> Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

    >> I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
    >>
    >> Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password
    >> and the ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe
    >> with a paid-for username and password?
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > You sure misfit ? I'm with orcon and don't. And I was with another ISP
    > who have no news service and they said to use orcons and again I
    > didn't need user/pass.

    Well, I just treid using news.orcon.net.nz and I was asked for username and
    password, tried the ones from my free acount and was refused.

    > That said the service is shit lately. Just had to reset again as it
    > borked all the number count yesterday so am now getting all headers
    > again to sort through. Will reply to your ssri one when I get to
    > nz.wanted.

    Cool, take care.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ said the following on 17/09/2004 12:32:
    >
    >> Worm wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Brendan" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've just had to reset my newsgroup account...I was wondering why
    >>> nz.comp had gone so quiet...
    >>>
    >>> The shoddy newsfeed isn't what gets me...my shoddy connections are!
    >>> Ugh. Can you access Orcon's mail servers from a different ISP?

    >> I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
    >>
    >> Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password
    >> and the ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe
    >> with a paid-for username and password?
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Wasnt he asking about mail (POP3) not news (NNTP)

    Ok, my bad. I can access orcon's pop3 through xtra but not orcon's smtp.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2004
  10. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Well, I just treid using news.orcon.net.nz and I was asked for username and
    > password, tried the ones from my free acount and was refused.

    The news server (corp.newsfeeds.com) allows access to Orcon customers by
    IP address. The only user/pass combinations the server will accept are
    those of newsfeeds.com subscribers who have an account with them, it
    will not accept your Orcon login.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Sep 17, 2004
  11. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:22:46 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > *FAAAAARK* With ihug ripping their customers off blind for UBS I was
    > going to move to Orcon, but it sounds like they're so technically inept
    > that they can't even organise a newsfeed that works properly. Phone up
    > Orcon and express your displeasure directly to someone senior like Seeby
    > - he's bloody good at actually answering the phone and seeing that
    > action gets taken.

    Last few times I have rang them I have gotten the run around to greater or
    lesser extent.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared." -- P. J. Plauger

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/09/2004 5:12:55 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 17, 2004
  12. In article <L2s2d.3413$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Sep 2004 14:35:59 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ said the following on 17/09/2004 12:32:

    > >> I dunno, is it news.orcon.net.nz? I'll try via xtra.
    > >>
    > >> Nah, at least not for me. You need to supply username and password
    > >> and the ones from my free orcon email account don't get me on. Maybe
    > >> with a paid-for username and password?
    > >> --
    > >> ~misfit~
    > >> --
    > >> ~misfit~
    > >>

    > > Wasnt he asking about mail (POP3) not news (NNTP)

    > Ok, my bad. I can access orcon's pop3 through xtra but not orcon's smtp.

    SMTP and NNTP access are usually IP address restricted to customers of
    the ISP, for security reasons.
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  13. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <L2s2d.3413$> in nz.comp on Fri,
    > 17 Sep 2004 14:35:59 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    >>
    >> Ok, my bad. I can access orcon's pop3 through xtra but not orcon's
    >> smtp.

    > SMTP and NNTP access are usually IP address restricted to customers of
    > the ISP, for security reasons.

    I was told it was Xtra limiting access from it's network to Orcon's smtp
    servers originally. When Orcon first set up it's free email deal I could
    access their smtp servers for a few months, then no-go. I think it was here
    that I read (maybe by Seeby?) that Xtra had limited access from their end.
    They dislike competition, especially competition that is offering something
    free. Ever since I've got my Orcon account I don't use my Xtra email account
    at all. I have to use their smtp server but that's all I use.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2004
  14. In article <RVx2d.3538$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Sep 2004 21:16:05 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > In article <L2s2d.3413$> in nz.comp on Fri,
    > > 17 Sep 2004 14:35:59 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    > >>
    > >> Ok, my bad. I can access orcon's pop3 through xtra but not orcon's
    > >> smtp.

    > > SMTP and NNTP access are usually IP address restricted to customers of
    > > the ISP, for security reasons.

    > I was told it was Xtra limiting access from it's network to Orcon's smtp
    > servers originally. When Orcon first set up it's free email deal I could
    > access their smtp servers for a few months, then no-go. I think it was here
    > that I read (maybe by Seeby?) that Xtra had limited access from their end.
    > They dislike competition, especially competition that is offering something
    > free. Ever since I've got my Orcon account I don't use my Xtra email account
    > at all. I have to use their smtp server but that's all I use.

    Closing access to SMTP servers is usually done to prevent open spam
    relays. I would be surprised if any ISP was fool enough to allow open
    access to their SMTP server unless some sort of protection like preceding
    SMTP access with password protected POP3 access was in place (there is a
    sort of protocol for this).
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Brendan

    Worm Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Wasnt he asking about mail (POP3) not news (NNTP)

    Bingo - I was :) I have two email addresses with Orcon (one on-account, one
    free), and am just weighing up whether it is worth hopping on to a different
    ISP. If I could check my email through Outlook etc on a new ISP it'd be an
    easy decision.

    Worm

    Worm, Sep 18, 2004
  16. Brendan

    EMB Guest

    Worm wrote:

    > Bingo - I was :) I have two email addresses with Orcon (one on-account, one
    > free), and am just weighing up whether it is worth hopping on to a different
    > ISP. If I could check my email through Outlook etc on a new ISP it'd be an
    > easy decision.

    Ye syou can pop an orcon mail account including the free ones from anywhere

    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/email/

    I've just tried it from ihug ADSL and it works fine.

    EMB, Sep 18, 2004
  17. Brendan

    Worm Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Ye syou can pop an orcon mail account including the free ones from

    anywhere

    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/email/
    >
    > I've just tried it from ihug ADSL and it works fine.

    Cool, so is that incoming only? ie I wouldn't be able to send through the
    same server...?

    Worm

    Worm, Sep 18, 2004
  18. Brendan

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Worm said the following on 18/09/2004 16:10:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ye syou can pop an orcon mail account including the free ones from

    > anywhere
    >
    >>http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/email/
    >>
    >>I've just tried it from ihug ADSL and it works fine.

    > Cool, so is that incoming only? ie I wouldn't be able to send through the
    > same server...?
    >

    > Worm

    Perhaps, I dont know if they support SMTP after validated POP3
    Collector-NZ, Sep 18, 2004
  19. Brendan

    EMB Guest

    Worm wrote:

    > Cool, so is that incoming only? ie I wouldn't be able to send through the
    > same server...?

    Receive only from outside their IP address range, no pop before send
    supported.

    EMB, Sep 18, 2004
  20. On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:59:15 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Worm wrote:
    >
    >> Cool, so is that incoming only? ie I wouldn't be able to send through the
    >> same server...?

    >Receive only from outside their IP address range, no pop before send
    >supported.

    Authenticated SMTP is supported.

    Thanks
    Craig