    --

    .... Brendan

    "Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves." -- Rudyard Kipling

    Note: All my comments are copyright 13/02/2005 10:56:36 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 13, 2005

  2. On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:24:27 +1300, Brendan wrote:

    > Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's news
    > server ?

    no. you are supposed to use news.individual.net now.
    wogers nemesis, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's
    > news server ?

    I use Orcon as an ISP but personally use NIN. However, my live-in fiance
    subscribes to a couple of binary groups and has been persevering with
    Orcon's offering. However, as of this evening she's getting messages from OE
    saying that most of the groups she subscribes to don't exist on that news
    server. Only one of her half-a-dozen groups downloaded. She has people she
    talks with daily in some of these groups and is rather upset. We can't
    afford a paid usenet providor, I thought that was part of the package with
    Orcon. In fact I can Google posts from Seeby for the few weeks immediately
    prior to my signing up with them saying how they were 'fixing' their news
    server problems. That statement from him was instrumental in my signing up.

    I just checked Orcon's page and could find no mention of this change. I've
    had a very frustrating day trying to play my favourite game on-line. It's
    totally impossible, unplayable. Download speeds are atrocious, and I'm
    talking web pages here, not P2P or large ISOs. I've just about had it with
    Orcon, so many excuses for so long now. I was far happier with my Xtra
    (barf) dial-up. Newsgroups were relaible and fast, on-line gaming was
    enjoyable, not an exercise in frustration and it was half the price. I don't
    download large amounts, the occasional large file sure, that was the primary
    reason for going ADSL. That and a ill-concieved idea that gaming would be
    better.

    Unless I get a good newsfeed and vastly improved latency by month's end I'm
    outta here. Sad, I had high hopes for Orcon. However, three months of crap
    service, outages, slow connection and unacceptable latency have proved that
    to be wrong.

    I don't want excuses, I want what I'm paying for. I'll give 'em two weeks to
    fullfill their end of the bargain. I feel really bad, I have quite a few
    people who come to me for advice about PCs and the internet/ISPs. I've
    recommended Orcon to a few people now. Won't ever do that again, I'm getting
    it in the neck from a couple of friends as it is.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:17:00 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I use Orcon as an ISP but personally use NIN. However, my live-in fiance
    > subscribes to a couple of binary groups and has been persevering with
    > Orcon's offering. However, as of this evening she's getting messages from OE
    > saying that most of the groups she subscribes to don't exist on that news
    > server. Only one of her half-a-dozen groups downloaded. She has people she
    > talks with daily in some of these groups and is rather upset. We can't
    > afford a paid usenet providor, I thought that was part of the package with
    > Orcon. In fact I can Google posts from Seeby for the few weeks immediately
    > prior to my signing up with them saying how they were 'fixing' their news
    > server problems. That statement from him was instrumental in my signing up.

    Yeah, Orcon have gone down the shitter in the last few months. No use
    debating it. They used to be the best.

    I'm considering going elsewhere also. But for slightly different reasons:

    ? Lack of interest in the problems from Orcon.
    ? Certain problems have now been in evidence for approaching HALF A YEAR.
    ? There are always some new problem. No sooner is one resolved and a new
    one crops up - missing web pages one week, shit speed the next, etc.

    The long term problems that piss me off the most are:
    ? The _TRADITION_ of piss poor, below merchantable quality Usenet.
    ? Piss poor latency for online gaming (I play UT2004, so evey millisecond
    counts). I blame Telecom for most of this, but that knowledge does not in
    itself solve the problem.
    ? Hopeless spam filter: yes, I know dpsam is supposed to be very good, but
    Orcon's interface to it for end users TOTALLY SUCKS. It's unusable,
    untrainable, no feedback - useless. Pity.

    I am now seriously considering going back to Telecom's 2 mbit system. Yes,
    I know i will only get 10 short gigs cap. Yes, I know there is a $100 theft
    by Telecom to do this. Yes, Telecom has hamstrung everyone else in another
    monopolising game and should be punished. But I will get the speed.

    Like you I have sent a number of people Orcon's way. I have not been able
    to do that for a long time now. The quality hasn't been there for months.
    Orcon is going the way of IHUG.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Men and women, women and men. It will never work." -- Erica Jong

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 1:47:37 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:32:45 +1300, wogers nemesis wrote:

    > no. you are supposed to use news.individual.net now.

    lol, yeah. Good one.

    Seriously, is anyone getting a password error ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 1:45:19 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Brendan wrote:

    > Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's news
    > server ?

    dunno, but your post had the newsfeeds tag line at the bottom again.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 13, 2005
  7. Brendan wrote:
    > ? Hopeless spam filter: yes, I know dpsam is supposed to be very good, but
    > Orcon's interface to it for end users TOTALLY SUCKS. It's unusable,
    > untrainable, no feedback - useless. Pity.

    I thought you could simply forward them to no
    need to munge it, it should only collect spam anyway.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 13, 2005
  8. Brendan

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's news
    > server ?

    Yes, but at least I get a response out of it this time. I hardly bother
    with it these days.

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 13, 2005
  9. Brendan

    rolling Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > Brendan wrote:
    > > Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's

    news
    > > server ?
    > >

    > Yes, but at least I get a response out of it this time. I hardly bother
    > with it these days.

    And this is why I don't join orcon.
    rolling, Feb 13, 2005
  10. rolling wrote:
    >>Yes, but at least I get a response out of it this time. I hardly bother
    >>with it these days.

    > And this is why I don't join orcon.

    my oh my, how the mighty have fallen from grace.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 13, 2005
  11. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:41:35 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >> Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's news
    >> server ?
    >>

    > Yes, but at least I get a response out of it this time. I hardly bother
    > with it these days.

    Same here. I have set dialog to get the news from nin and orcon, and
    combine the two into the relevent ng. Currently, the only usenet I am
    getting is from nin; stupidly enough I can still send via orcon though.

    I'd ring orcon up and tell them about it, but life is too short. I simply
    do not have the time to watse or the need to endure hours of waiting on the
    phone only to be told 'what is net net ?' or 'it's working perfectly good
    bye'.

    Shouldn't have to go to those lengths.

    orcons 'but only half a dozen people use the server' excuse is now totally
    non-credible: I suspect that if true, it is something they have engineered
    to BE true.

    --

    .... Brendan

    We're all here because we're not all there

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 1:13:51 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 14, 2005
  12. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:15:00 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's news
    >> server ?

    > dunno, but your post had the newsfeeds tag line at the bottom again.

    yeah, noticing that. So orcon has not yet gone to giganews and newsfeeds is
    again playing up. And orcon is again doing nothing.

    In other words another normal day at Orcon.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "To be a SubGenius is its own reward: to be... other... is its own
    punishment."
    --Doktor Onan Canobite

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 1:12:48 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 14, 2005
  13. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:19:02 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >> ? Hopeless spam filter: yes, I know dpsam is supposed to be very good, but
    >> Orcon's interface to it for end users TOTALLY SUCKS. It's unusable,
    >> untrainable, no feedback - useless. Pity.

    > I thought you could simply forward them to no
    > need to munge it, it should only collect spam anyway.

    Why yes Dave, you can and do.

    But: there is NO, ZERO feedback from it so you do not know if it worked or
    not. AND it wants the spam in a special format that only a few email
    clients do.

    A better email training interface is needed, one that tells you of success
    or failure to train at least.

    But also a web interface would be nice - go into your account, click on the
    'train spam filter' link, paste your spam mail into the box, click 'train
    as spam' or 'train as wanted mail', it checks you have all the headers,
    tells you 'done' if so or 'headers missing - follow this link for more
    info', and done.

    Further improvements could be made by pooling all users spam training so
    that the filter is being trained by hundreds of people, and placing THAT
    training as a lower priority filter than your personal one. So if e.g. you
    actually WANTED something everyone else did not, it would get through.

    Net result: virtually spam less Orcon. Surely a marketing point if nothing
    else.

    But it'll never happen.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Calm down -- it's only ones and zeroes.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 1:00:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 14, 2005
  14. Brendan

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:15:00 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>Brendan wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is anyone else getting a password error when trying to access orcon's news
    >>>server ?

    >>dunno, but your post had the newsfeeds tag line at the bottom again.

    > yeah, noticing that. So orcon has not yet gone to giganews and newsfeeds is
    > again playing up. And orcon is again doing nothing.
    >
    > In other words another normal day at Orcon.

    Yeah, the UBS has just gone down again

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 14, 2005
  15. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 02:06:57 +1300, Brendan wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:32:45 +1300, wogers nemesis wrote:
    >
    >> no. you are supposed to use news.individual.net now.

    > lol, yeah. Good one.
    >
    > Seriously, is anyone getting a password error ?

    No I am SERIOUS. Orcon is getting out of the news server game ...
    wogers nemesis, Feb 14, 2005
  16. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:58:28 +1300, wogers nemesis wrote:

    > No I am SERIOUS. Orcon is getting out of the news server game ...

    Where does this information come from ?

    If they are getting out of it, I'd expect a suitable reduction in monthly
    fees that reflects the fact they no longer have to transfer gigs of usenet
    a day...

    --

    .... Brendan

    DUTY, n. That which sternly impels us in the direction of profit, along the line of desire. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 7:10:37 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 14, 2005
  17. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:34:37 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    >> In other words another normal day at Orcon.
    >>

    > Yeah, the UBS has just gone down again

    Noticed....

    If many of these problems are due to Telecom game playing, isn't it time
    for a complaint to the commerce comission, investigations, court hearings ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is good for dandruff -- it is a palliative rather than a remedy." -- Peter De Vries

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 7:09:05 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 14, 2005
  18. Brendan said the following on 14/02/2005 7:11 p.m.:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:58:28 +1300, wogers nemesis wrote:
    >

    >>No I am SERIOUS. Orcon is getting out of the news server game ...

    > Where does this information come from ?
    >
    > If they are getting out of it, I'd expect a suitable reduction in monthly
    > fees that reflects the fact they no longer have to transfer gigs of usenet
    > a day...

    RAOFLMAO And what planet in what universe did you say you were from?

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 14, 2005
  19. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > I'd ring orcon up and tell them about it, but life is too short. I
    > simply do not have the time to watse or the need to endure hours of
    > waiting on the phone only to be told 'what is net net ?' or 'it's
    > working perfectly good bye'.

    LOL, good luck on that front buddy. The last 10 or so times I've tried to
    get through to Orcon I haven't even managed to get onto the end of their
    hour-long queue. All I've got is an engaged signal.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2005
  20. Brendan

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:34:37 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >>>In other words another normal day at Orcon.
    >>>

    >>Yeah, the UBS has just gone down again

    > Noticed....
    >
    > If many of these problems are due to Telecom game playing, isn't it time
    > for a complaint to the commerce comission, investigations, court hearings ?

    But what will that achieve ? - working out who the best bullshit artist is ?

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 14, 2005