orcons new plans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Zipper, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Zipper, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Zipper

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Oct 25, 2006

  3. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Zipper <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>
    >> Looks good orcon :)

    > I suspect that you work for them??

    Well then you need to try being a little less suspicious don't you.
    Zipper, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Zipper

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Zipper <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    > >
    > >Looks good orcon :)

    > I suspect that you work for them??

    Ok so I can't get a plan along the lines of my existing one which has a
    40Gb cap for $59.95 and no tolls. Closest is 30Gb cap for $69.95

    And a 20Gb effective cap on the Zero Shock plan is really bad.
    Steven Ellis, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >> Zipper <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>>
    >>> Looks good orcon :)

    >> I suspect that you work for them??

    > Ok so I can't get a plan along the lines of my existing one which has a
    > 40Gb cap for $59.95 and no tolls. Closest is 30Gb cap for $69.95
    >
    > And a 20Gb effective cap on the Zero Shock plan is really bad.

    Can't you stay on your existing plan?
    I assume you mean the advanced 40 plan which is only 256/128?
    I am pretty sure you don't have to move from it if you dont want to.
    I've had enough of the 256/128 though, I was on that plan also but now
    want decent speeds and less lantecy so I can try voip properly and
    finally hopefully watch streaming video etc.

    Yeah I was reading about that Zero shock plan and it also says that is
    the only plan they shape p2p on so if you want to use p2p I would avoid
    that plan like the plague.

    I was checking slingshots site but they still haven't updated their
    plans... Will be interesting to see what they come up with also.. though
    I think most of the ISP's will be fairly similar, doesn't seem to be
    much room for too much difference really..
    Zipper, Oct 25, 2006
  6. Zipper

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >> Zipper <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>>
    >>> Looks good orcon :)

    >> I suspect that you work for them??

    > Ok so I can't get a plan along the lines of my existing one which has a
    > 40Gb cap for $59.95 and no tolls. Closest is 30Gb cap for $69.95

    Same here:

    I previously had 256/128 unlimited for $49.95 - that went up to $109.95.

    So I dropped back to 256/128/40 for $59.95. There is no equivalent now,
    but I can drop back further to 256/128/30 for $69.95, or use auto sense
    and pay $79.95 for 40GB (if I use it). The autosense thing might be the
    only benefit to me, if my usage fluctuates much (I don't think it does,
    but there is the potential for some savings there).

    I'm reluctant to move to a higher speed plan because of the bad
    experiences of others here who did so and had a "sub-optimal experience"
    :) (I don't really need it anyway).

    So just how do these new plans look good?

    I'm expecting data and speed to get cheaper, not more expensive; and in
    addition, there is *still* the crappy 128Kbps upload, or full speed. Why
    not a reasonable compromise like 256Kbps? Would it really kill these
    companies to offer something reasonable like that?

    Have you ever tried seeding your own torrents with 128Kbps? Painful.
    I've got a CDROM I want to publish online later this year, that is going
    to be *extremely* painful.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 25, 2006
  7. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >> Mutlley wrote:

    >>> I suspect that you work for them??

    >> Ok so I can't get a plan along the lines of my existing one which has a
    >> 40Gb cap for $59.95 and no tolls. Closest is 30Gb cap for $69.95

    > Same here:
    >
    > I previously had 256/128 unlimited for $49.95 - that went up to $109.95.
    >
    > So I dropped back to 256/128/40 for $59.95. There is no equivalent now,
    > but I can drop back further to 256/128/30 for $69.95, or use auto sense
    > and pay $79.95 for 40GB (if I use it). The autosense thing might be the
    > only benefit to me, if my usage fluctuates much (I don't think it does,
    > but there is the potential for some savings there).
    >
    > I'm reluctant to move to a higher speed plan because of the bad
    > experiences of others here who did so and had a "sub-optimal experience"
    > :) (I don't really need it anyway).
    >
    > So just how do these new plans look good?

    Well for me $79 for FS/FS and 30 gigs data was a big imrpovement plus
    with the interleaving gone hopefully gaming and voip should rock.. We
    will see.. Ill let you know how it goes and if i get decent speeds :).

    > I'm expecting data and speed to get cheaper, not more expensive; and in
    > addition, there is *still* the crappy 128Kbps upload, or full speed. Why
    > not a reasonable compromise like 256Kbps? Would it really kill these
    > companies to offer something reasonable like that?

    They can't, Telecom provide no plans with 256 up.
    Maybe when regulation comes in next year that will change.. hopefully..

    > Have you ever tried seeding your own torrents with 128Kbps? Painful.

    no, I wouldnt even try, I have tried uploading lots of photos to
    frogprints on 128 and that took hours.. crazy stuff..

    Zipper, Oct 25, 2006
  8. Zipper

    Chris Lim Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >
    > Looks good orcon :)

    Hmm, Slingshot seem to be a bit slow. They still have their blurb
    saying broadband will be unleashed on the 26th!
    Chris Lim, Oct 25, 2006
  9. Zipper

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:46:02 +1300, Zipper <> exclaimed:

    >http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >
    >Looks good orcon :)

    Well, it would if they weren't crap.

    I've got absolutely no faith in Orcon's ability to actually provide
    anything resembling the speed they advertise.

    I'm willing to be proven wrong, however. Look forward to the reports.
    Fred Dagg, Oct 26, 2006
  10. Zipper

    Vista Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>
    >> Looks good orcon :)

    > Hmm, Slingshot seem to be a bit slow. They still have their blurb
    > saying broadband will be unleashed on the 26th!

    They are there now. I wonder what happens to existing users, do we get
    switched to one of these new plans, as they are better than what I am
    currently paying for an old plan.
    Vista, Oct 26, 2006
  11. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    >> Zipper wrote:
    >>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>>
    >>> Looks good orcon :)

    >> Hmm, Slingshot seem to be a bit slow. They still have their blurb
    >> saying broadband will be unleashed on the 26th!
    >>

    > They are there now. I wonder what happens to existing users, do we get
    > switched to one of these new plans, as they are better than what I am
    > currently paying for an old plan.

    They do look quite nice, the charges for additional data are very good,
    the best I've seen so far.
    How have you found speeds on slingshot? torrent traffic goes well?
    Zipper, Oct 26, 2006
  12. Zipper

    MarkH Guest

    Zipper <> wrote in news::

    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >
    > Looks good orcon :)

    I am paying $150 for 3.5/.5 with 60GB cap. I see I can now change to fs/fs
    with 100GB cap for $170 - not bad for an extra $20. The old 3.5/.5 with
    100GB cap was $200, so faster speed for $30 less on the 2nd highest plan.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Oct 26, 2006
  13. Zipper

    joe_90 Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    >> Zipper wrote:
    >>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>>
    >>> Looks good orcon :)

    >> Hmm, Slingshot seem to be a bit slow. They still have their blurb
    >> saying broadband will be unleashed on the 26th!
    >>

    > They are there now. I wonder what happens to existing users, do we get
    > switched to one of these new plans, as they are better than what I am
    > currently paying for an old plan.

    I got an email overnight saying I would be automatically upgraded on my
    next bill cycle. I'm on the entry level 256/128 plan so the large
    increase in data is a very welcome improvement.

    I had been thinking about upgrading to a 2M/128 plan. However, the new
    offerings seem to be poor in this 'middle' ground - one $10 additional
    block of data on the 2M/128 plan (bringing you up to 16GB) puts you at
    the same cost as the MAX/128 plan which includes 25GB of data.
    joe_90, Oct 26, 2006
  14. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Zipper <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>
    >> Looks good orcon :)

    > I am paying $150 for 3.5/.5 with 60GB cap. I see I can now change to fs/fs
    > with 100GB cap for $170 - not bad for an extra $20. The old 3.5/.5 with
    > 100GB cap was $200, so faster speed for $30 less on the 2nd highest plan.

    Just a comparison.

    The same on slingshot if you had tolls with them
    $129 for 100 gigs FS/FS

    $139 without tolls...

    They sell their data at $40 for 50 gigs..
    and the FS/FS is $49
    Zipper, Oct 26, 2006
  15. Zipper

    Chris Lim Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > They are there now. I wonder what happens to existing users, do we get
    > switched to one of these new plans, as they are better than what I am
    > currently paying for an old plan.

    I checked my Data Usage and I've been upgraded from 10GB to 25GB so it
    seems they have upgraded existing users. I'm not at home right now so I
    can't check my speed, but hopefully that will be upgraded too.
    Chris Lim, Oct 26, 2006
  16. Zipper

    Chris Lim Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > They do look quite nice, the charges for additional data are very good,
    > the best I've seen so far.
    > How have you found speeds on slingshot? torrent traffic goes well?

    I've found that torrents go reasonably well - the best I get is around
    120KB/s , whether that is a single torrent, or the combination of about
    3 or 4 I have running at once. So it's nowhere near 3mb/s but then I
    never got anything better when I was with Orcon either (though with
    Orcon I found I could have as many as 20 torrents going without a
    problem, now if I go over 5 everything including http slows to a
    crawl).

    Yes Slingshot's data rates are good which is why I switched to them
    from Orcon. However Xtra's Go Large plan now looks tempting even with
    the Fair Use Policy. The only problem is I'll go broke via the early
    disconnection fees if I keep changing ISPs like this!
    Chris Lim, Oct 26, 2006
  17. Zipper

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:14:02 +1300, Zipper <> exclaimed:

    >MarkH wrote:
    >> Zipper <> wrote in news::
    >>
    >>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >>>
    >>> Looks good orcon :)

    >> I am paying $150 for 3.5/.5 with 60GB cap. I see I can now change to fs/fs
    >> with 100GB cap for $170 - not bad for an extra $20. The old 3.5/.5 with
    >> 100GB cap was $200, so faster speed for $30 less on the 2nd highest plan.
    >>

    >Just a comparison.
    >
    >The same on slingshot if you had tolls with them
    >$129 for 100 gigs FS/FS
    >
    >$139 without tolls...
    >
    >They sell their data at $40 for 50 gigs..
    >and the FS/FS is $49

    What's Slingshot's performance like, though?

    (Off topic: I just sent an email to Ihug, and got a reply within 30
    mins. When I used to be with Orcon, it would take days, sometimes
    weeks).
    Fred Dagg, Oct 26, 2006
  18. Zipper

    canon paora Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:14:02 +1300, Zipper <> exclaimed:
    >
    > >MarkH wrote:

    > >> I am paying $150 for 3.5/.5 with 60GB cap. I see I can now change to fs/fs
    > >> with 100GB cap for $170 - not bad for an extra $20. The old 3.5/.5 with
    > >> 100GB cap was $200, so faster speed for $30 less on the 2nd highest plan.
    > >>

    > >Just a comparison.
    > >
    > >The same on slingshot if you had tolls with them
    > >$129 for 100 gigs FS/FS
    > >
    > >$139 without tolls...
    > >
    > >They sell their data at $40 for 50 gigs..
    > >and the FS/FS is $49

    > What's Slingshot's performance like, though?
    >
    > (Off topic: I just sent an email to Ihug, and got a reply within 30
    > mins. When I used to be with Orcon, it would take days, sometimes
    > weeks).

    Probably best to RING Orcon's helpdesk - it's free isn't it?
    canon paora, Oct 26, 2006
  19. Zipper

    Mutlley Guest

    Zipper <> wrote:

    >Vista wrote:
    >> "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hmm, Slingshot seem to be a bit slow. They still have their blurb
    >>> saying broadband will be unleashed on the 26th!
    >>>

    >> They are there now. I wonder what happens to existing users, do we get
    >> switched to one of these new plans, as they are better than what I am
    >> currently paying for an old plan.
    >>

    >They do look quite nice, the charges for additional data are very good,
    >the best I've seen so far.
    >How have you found speeds on slingshot? torrent traffic goes well?

    I just asked them to change me to the Advanced + 15Gig. Same price as
    the old plan but 5 Gig more. See how the speed goes. My current
    3.5Meg is more like 2.5Meg when using a speed tester
    Mutlley, Oct 26, 2006
  20. Zipper

    Richard Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/broadband/
    >
    > Looks good orcon :)

    Not really, why nothing between 30 and 100 gigs? - huge jump in price if
    you need a more typical 40-50 gigs.
    Richard, Oct 26, 2006