    Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".

    So make sure you all call back. :)

    09-444-4414

    steve, Aug 26, 2004

  2. steve

    Collector_NZ Guest

    steve said the following on 27/08/2004 08:55:

    > Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
    > users to authenticate.
    >
    > I called the Help Desk and they suggested it was a problem with the server
    > IP address.....which may be a keyhole view of the situation.
    >
    > Looks like the authentication issue either wasn't understood - or the
    > implementation was flawed (perhaps newsfeed.com didn't implement the
    > correct ip range filters that would allow Orcon customers to connect).
    >
    > Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".
    >
    > So make sure you all call back. :)
    >
    > 09-444-4414

    Okay it worked fine for me, but I deleted my old news account and setup
    a new one, all I did was add my user name in the account setup
    (Thunderbird) and it worked fine.

    113k groups, a lot of the dead no official groups like nz.forsale and a
    lot of miss spelled groups like nz.tarinaki.regional.general.

    propergation not as fast as my backup service but it works.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 26, 2004

  3. steve

    Chris Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
    > users to authenticate.
    >
    > I called the Help Desk and they suggested it was a problem with the server
    > IP address.....which may be a keyhole view of the situation.
    >
    > Looks like the authentication issue either wasn't understood - or the
    > implementation was flawed (perhaps newsfeed.com didn't implement the
    > correct ip range filters that would allow Orcon customers to connect).
    >
    > Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".
    >
    > So make sure you all call back. :)
    >
    > 09-444-4414

    I got it to work OK on dial up using Thunderbird, though wouldn't work
    using Xnews

    Chris, Aug 27, 2004
  4. steve

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:55:49 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
    > users to authenticate.

    Doesn't work for me even after I put my login and pw. I can only post now
    via the individual.net server.

    Hurry up and fix the problem Orcon. Geeze....

    Oh, and I am not too happy with the advert stuck on the bottom of the
    messages through the new server either (when people can get it to work at
    all). I resent being a vehicle for adverts.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "There is nothing permanent except change." -- Heraclitus

    Note: All my comments are copyright 27/08/2004 3:51:48 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 27, 2004
  5. steve

    Chris Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one
    >> requires
    >> users to authenticate.
    >> I called the Help Desk and they suggested it was a problem with the
    >> server
    >> IP address.....which may be a keyhole view of the situation.
    >> Looks like the authentication issue either wasn't understood - or the
    >> implementation was flawed (perhaps newsfeed.com didn't implement the
    >> correct ip range filters that would allow Orcon customers to connect).
    >>
    >> Instructions were to "Call back tomorrow".
    >> So make sure you all call back. :)
    >> 09-444-4414
    >>

    > I got it to work OK on dial up using Thunderbird, though wouldn't work
    > using Xnews

    Oh, I know, I think I need to refresh the group list maybe, hummm not on
    dial up thanks lol

    --
    __
    OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by

    Chris, Aug 27, 2004
  6. steve

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:55:15 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:
    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:55:49 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like Orcon have moved to the new news server, but the new one requires
    >> users to authenticate.

    >Doesn't work for me even after I put my login and pw. I can only post now
    >via the individual.net server.
    >
    >Hurry up and fix the problem Orcon. Geeze....
    >
    >Oh, and I am not too happy with the advert stuck on the bottom of the
    >messages through the new server either (when people can get it to work at
    >all). I resent being a vehicle for adverts.

    I recommend a reel cheep ISP + a pay news server, e.g. slingshot +
    supernews.

    Sue Bilstein, Aug 27, 2004
  7. steve

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:23:42 +1200, Sue Bilstein wrote:

    > I recommend a reel cheep ISP + a pay news server, e.g. slingshot +
    > supernews.

    Thanks, but I can use a free news server - I would prefer orcon to get
    their act together though.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "You are nothing but a wayward puddle of fawning buzzard gizzards" - bobot
    in IRC

    Note: All my comments are copyright 27/08/2004 10:29:42 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 27, 2004
  8. steve

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:45:14 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:23:42 +1200, Sue Bilstein wrote:
    >
    >> I recommend a reel cheep ISP + a pay news server, e.g. slingshot +
    >> supernews.

    >Thanks, but I can use a free news server - I would prefer orcon to get
    >their act together though.

    Free - which one? Is it worth more than you pay for it, I wonder?

    Sue Bilstein, Aug 27, 2004
  9. steve

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:25:56 +1200, Sue Bilstein wrote:

    >>Thanks, but I can use a free news server - I would prefer orcon to get
    >>their act together though.

    > Free - which one? Is it worth more than you pay for it, I wonder?

    Replied via email.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 28/08/2004 1:43:49 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 27, 2004
  10. Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > Free - which one? Is it worth more than you pay for it, I wonder?

    I use news.individual.net and it is well worth what I pay for it(nothing).
    It seems a lot more reliable than what I have read here about Xtras.
    Ihugs and Orcons.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004