    I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal,
    which seems to be better than anything Vodafone is offering. Are there
    any downsides that I should know about?
    Gib Bogle, Jan 26, 2013

  2. In article <kdvtlr$eol$>,
    says...

    > I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal,
    > which seems to be better than anything Vodafone is offering. Are there
    > any downsides that I should know about?

    According to a mailout by Actrix a wee while ago Orcon farmed out their
    helpdesk to the Phillipines, giving 50something people the boot.

    Actrix actually declared they'd try to hire some of those folk.

    That'd be enough to make me have second thoughts about Orcon. (I don't
    need tech support as a rule, but, when I do, I like to talk to somebody
    local who actually knows more than how to read a flowchart, not to
    mention that I feel strongly that a NZ company should employ people in
    NZ).

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jan 26, 2013

  3. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    On 27/01/2013 12:43 p.m., geoff wrote:
    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >> I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal,
    >> which seems to be better than anything Vodafone is offering. Are there any
    >> downsides that I should know about?

    > Naa , but these things even out and prolly not worth changing. Every time
    > somebody comes out with something newer cheaper better, the other change to
    > approach if not match.
    >
    > Eventually the smaller startups (not referring to Orcon) will start going
    > broke or get swallowed. You could end up changing everything every 6 months
    > or less !
    >
    > geoff

    Orcon got swallowed by Kordia.
    Kordia is an SOE that only breaks even so the government doesn't see any
    profit in selling it.
    victor, Jan 27, 2013
  4. Gib Bogle

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:43:38 +1300, "geoff" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >"Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >>I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal,
    >>which seems to be better than anything Vodafone is offering. Are there any
    >>downsides that I should know about?

    >Naa , but these things even out and prolly not worth changing. Every time
    >somebody comes out with something newer cheaper better, the other change to
    >approach if not match.

    How true. My current plan with Telecom is better/cheaper than the one
    they're offering to lure new customers.

    Donchano, Jan 27, 2013
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/01/2013 12:43 p.m., geoff wrote:
    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >> I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal,
    >> which seems to be better than anything Vodafone is offering. Are there any
    >> downsides that I should know about?

    > Naa , but these things even out and prolly not worth changing. Every time
    > somebody comes out with something newer cheaper better, the other change to
    > approach if not match.
    >
    > Eventually the smaller startups (not referring to Orcon) will start going
    > broke or get swallowed. You could end up changing everything every 6 months
    > or less !
    >
    > geoff

    Does Vodafone have an unlimited deal? I didn't see it on their site.
    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2013
  6. Gib Bogle

    John Little Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal...

    I looked closely at their unlimited deal, but was unsure about it. All the
    unlimited users go into a shared pool, so when lots of the really heavy
    downloaders move to it you'd be competing for bandwidth with them. I've
    seen how that has played out in the past.

    Also, in Consumer's recent (November) ISP survey Orcon rated just ahead of
    Slingshot, having dropped markedly, though their "speed" still rated "above
    average".

    Regards, John Little
    John Little, Jan 28, 2013
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 29/01/2013 11:02 a.m., John Little wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal...

    > I looked closely at their unlimited deal, but was unsure about it. All the
    > unlimited users go into a shared pool, so when lots of the really heavy
    > downloaders move to it you'd be competing for bandwidth with them. I've
    > seen how that has played out in the past.
    >
    > Also, in Consumer's recent (November) ISP survey Orcon rated just ahead of
    > Slingshot, having dropped markedly, though their "speed" still rated "above
    > average".
    >
    > Regards, John Little

    Thanks John. How did Vodafone do in that survey?

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Jan 28, 2013
  8. On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:02:58 +1300, John Little
    <> wrote:

    >Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently with Vodafone, but I'm looking at Orcon's Unlimited deal...

    >I looked closely at their unlimited deal, but was unsure about it. All the
    >unlimited users go into a shared pool, so when lots of the really heavy
    >downloaders move to it you'd be competing for bandwidth with them. I've
    >seen how that has played out in the past.
    >
    >Also, in Consumer's recent (November) ISP survey Orcon rated just ahead of
    >Slingshot, having dropped markedly, though their "speed" still rated "above
    >average".
    >
    >Regards, John Little

    Yes but only in the evening so do you end up with dial up speeds..???

    There FAQ is so full of holes.
    William Brown, Jan 29, 2013
  9. Gib Bogle

    John Little Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Thanks John. How did Vodafone do in that survey?

    You have to be a subscriber to see the results, otherwise I'd post a link,
    and I'm reluctant to paste all their content. That said, I think I can say
    that TelstraClear, Vodafone and Telecom scored about the same, around 73%.
    Orcon was in the bunch at the bottom, with Slingshot, Compass and Woosh.
    Inspire, Actrix, PlaNet and Snap rated well, especially Inspire and Actrix.

    My own experience with Telecom was really good for years, but the last year
    has seen increasingly poor reliability, with drop-outs common. (The last
    light on the modem/router goes out, supposedly the connection from the
    cabinet to the internet.)

    Regards, John
    John Little, Jan 29, 2013
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 30/01/2013 10:56 a.m., John Little wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks John. How did Vodafone do in that survey?

    > You have to be a subscriber to see the results, otherwise I'd post a link,
    > and I'm reluctant to paste all their content. That said, I think I can say
    > that TelstraClear, Vodafone and Telecom scored about the same, around 73%.
    > Orcon was in the bunch at the bottom, with Slingshot, Compass and Woosh.
    > Inspire, Actrix, PlaNet and Snap rated well, especially Inspire and Actrix.
    >
    > My own experience with Telecom was really good for years, but the last year
    > has seen increasingly poor reliability, with drop-outs common. (The last
    > light on the modem/router goes out, supposedly the connection from the
    > cabinet to the internet.)
    >
    > Regards, John

    Thanks John. I've decided to take the easy course - I'm staying with
    Vodafone, with the 100 Gb cap plan.
    Gib Bogle, Jan 30, 2013