Orcon

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Lim, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    I signed up for one of the new Orcon plans and got connected the other
    day. Speed-wise it's a big improvement over my previous connection,
    about 4 times as fast, so that's good.

    But I've been lessed than impressed with Orcon's website which I've
    found very frustrating to use. Among my gripes are:

    - Everything seems disjointed. You go to the main site
    (www.orcon.net.nz), log on to view/edit your account details, and once
    you're in their legacy Cosmos interface there's no way to return to
    the main site. They even have checks to stop you using the Back
    button, but no links for you to back to the main site so you're stuck
    there. Ditto with their new Webmail interface. One way in, no way out.
    How crappy is that?

    - Their plans advertise addtional data for $1/GB, so today I went to
    go and purchase a few more GBs. Couldn't find anywhere on their site
    where I could do this, whereas they used to have this option when I
    was originally with them years ago. Is it still there and just well
    hidden, or have they enhanced their web site by removing this useful
    feature?

    - When I initially applied for a connection, I went through a flash
    application process online and at the end was told I would get a
    confirmation email immediately, and another one a few days before my
    connection was enabled. Problem is, they did not prompt for an email
    address during the application process! So, I went to the poxy cosmos
    app and manually added my existing email address and made it my
    primary one so that my confirmation emails would get sent there. No
    emails were sent until *after* my connection was enabled, and even
    then they sent it to my new Orcon email address and made my existing
    one a secondary one.

    - Since I don't want to check my Orcon email, I added a Filter to
    forward my emails to my existing email. Followed the instructions,
    send a test email and no forwarding occurred. Great stuff.

    - I logged the mail-forwarding problem as a Help Desk call via their
    website. I was already logged in, and selected 'Email Orcon Support'.
    I get prompted to log in again. Hmmm, maybe for security reasons? Oh
    well, I log in again and am then prompted for my details, including my
    name and email address!! I've logged in TWICE, yet they still ask me
    for those details. Madness. Anyway I enter everything and submit my
    request. On the confirmation page it shows my account number as "New
    customer"! Looks like logging in twice as well as typing in my name
    and email address isn't enough to identify me as an existing customer.

    Anyone else here with Orcon? Have you found the above problems or am I
    just going crazy?

    Chris Lim, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Apr 3, 10:34 pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:35:07 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
    > > - Everything seems disjointed. You go to the main site
    > > (www.orcon.net.nz), log on to view/edit your account details, and once
    > > you're in their legacy Cosmos interface there's no way to return to the
    > > main site.

    > Yes there is - use your browser's "back" button.

    They display a warning message telling you to avoid using the Back
    button whenever you do. You can ignore them of course, but the main
    problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back. The more you do
    in the Cosmos area the more clicks it takes. I just went in and
    browsed through some of my settings, and it took about a dozen clicks
    to get back to the main site. Is that good web design?

    Chris Lim, Apr 3, 2008

  3. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Apr 3, 10:10 pm, Puddle <> wrote:
    > It is just automatic isn't it? once you go over your data limit they
    > charge you at that rate..

    Maybe it is, given they don't mention throttling you back if you go
    over. I guess I was expecting to have to purchase data like I did last
    time I was with them. Okay, well strike that off my gripes list then!

    Chris Lim, Apr 3, 2008
  4. In article
    <>, Chris
    Lim did write:

    > You can ignore them of course, but the main
    > problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back.

    In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
    quickly to any previous point.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2008
  5. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Apr 4, 12:08 am, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 02:41:16 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
    > > They display a warning message telling you to avoid using the Back
    > > button whenever you do. You can ignore them of course, but the main
    > > problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back. The more you do in
    > > the Cosmos area the more clicks it takes. I just went in and browsed
    > > through some of my settings, and it took about a dozen clicks to get
    > > back to the main site. Is that good web design?

    > Have you considered using bookmarks?

    Have you consider that's not the point???!

    Chris Lim, Apr 3, 2008
  6. Chris Lim

    Mutlley Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article
    ><>, Chris
    >Lim did write:
    >
    >> You can ignore them of course, but the main
    >> problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back.

    >In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
    >quickly to any previous point.

    What version?? I'm using FF 3.05b and I can't see it. There is one
    in Opera called "Rewind" that does the same thing..

    TIA

    Mutlley, Apr 3, 2008
  7. Chris Lim

    Mutlley Guest

    ChrisOD <> wrote:

    >On 2008-04-03, Mutlley <> wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article
    >>><>, Chris
    >>>Lim did write:

    >>>In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
    >>>quickly to any previous point.

    >> What version?? I'm using FF 3.05b and I can't see it. There is one
    >> in Opera called "Rewind" that does the same thing..
    >>
    >> TIA

    >in 3.05b there is a little down arrow just to the right of the forward button.

    Thanx .. Found it. They could have made it a bit more obvious..

    Mutlley, Apr 4, 2008
  8. In article <>, ChrisOD did write:

    > On 2008-04-03, Mutlley <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
    >>>quickly to any previous point.

    >> What version?? I'm using FF 3.05b and I can't see it.
    >>

    > in 3.05b there is a little down arrow just to the right of the forward
    > button.

    You mean to the right of the back button? That's where it is in version 2.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 4, 2008
  9. In article <47f5f19f$>, Rob Simpson did write:

    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 20:48:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro propped his
    > eyelids open with toothpicks and wrote:

    >>> in 3.05b there is a little down arrow just to the right of the forward
    >>> button.

    >> You mean to the right of the back button? That's where it is in version
    >> 2.

    > In 3.0b4 it is to the right of the forward button.

    2.0 has both.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 4, 2008
  10. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Apr 5, 1:58 pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:57:28 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
    > >> Have you considered using bookmarks?

    > > Have you consider that's not the point???!

    > I take it that you really meant "no" as the answer.

    You'd be wrong, but you'd be used to that so I'm sure it doesn't
    bother you.

    Chris Lim, Apr 5, 2008