Orcon

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.

    Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on for to
    long a period

    Would appreciate any advise
     
    Guest, Aug 5, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:vpRIe.630$...
    >I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.
    >
    > Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on for
    > to long a period
    >
    > Would appreciate any advise
    >

    YOu will be billed the adsl $99 switch over fee.

    Not sure what you mean about disconnecting,there is no time limit.
     
    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Malone Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message news:WRRIe.634$...
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:vpRIe.630$...
    >>I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.
    >>
    >> Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on for
    >> to long a period
    >>
    >> Would appreciate any advise
    >>

    > YOu will be billed the adsl $99 switch over fee.
    >
    > Not sure what you mean about disconnecting,there is no time limit.
    >


    I'd keep clear of Orcon - my personal experience with their 'free' web sites is that they are not at all customer-focussed.

    And why is there this assumption that everyone is on adsl? Some of us live in rural NZ where there is no chance of broadband in the foreseeable future and complete indifference from the telecom companies.
     
    Malone, Aug 6, 2005
    #3
  4. On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:06:32 +1200, wrote:

    > I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.
    >
    > Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on for to
    > long a period
    >
    > Would appreciate any advise


    Looking at your IP, I'm going to assume you are currently using Telecom
    Xtra Jetstream wishing to change over to Orcon Bitstream for the purposes
    of my Reply.

    The idea of ISP's disconnecting you after a certain time period pertains
    more towards dial up connections rather than ADSL connections. At the
    moment I haven't heard of any ISP that will disconnect your ADSL connection
    after a certain time online as ADSL connections are suppose to beable to be
    "left on" permanently if the user so desires (but in NZ, generally not
    recommended due to lowish data caps combined with the off chance that some
    one could attack you sending your usage through the roof.).

    What is the reason you want to transfer from your Xtra Jetstream connection
    to Orcon? Is it cost? Higher Data caps? etc.

    At the moment, based on user feedback seen here and on Orcon's forums,
    Orcon bitstream service should be OKay for general surfing, Emailing, and
    may be Okay even for the odd online gaming on national servers. But other
    than that P2P is crippled and non standard ports are throttled. In general
    I feel that UBS overall is inferior to that of Telecom's Jetstream product.
     
    Pacific Dragon, Aug 6, 2005
    #4
  5. Guest

    Nova Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:06:32 +1200, wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.
    >>
    >>Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on for to
    >>long a period
    >>
    >>Would appreciate any advise

    >
    >
    > Looking at your IP, I'm going to assume you are currently using Telecom
    > Xtra Jetstream wishing to change over to Orcon Bitstream for the purposes
    > of my Reply.
    >
    > The idea of ISP's disconnecting you after a certain time period pertains
    > more towards dial up connections rather than ADSL connections. At the
    > moment I haven't heard of any ISP that will disconnect your ADSL connection
    > after a certain time online as ADSL connections are suppose to beable to be
    > "left on" permanently if the user so desires (but in NZ, generally not
    > recommended due to lowish data caps combined with the off chance that some
    > one could attack you sending your usage through the roof.).
    >
    > What is the reason you want to transfer from your Xtra Jetstream connection
    > to Orcon? Is it cost? Higher Data caps? etc.
    >
    > At the moment, based on user feedback seen here and on Orcon's forums,
    > Orcon bitstream service should be OKay for general surfing, Emailing, and
    > may be Okay even for the odd online gaming on national servers. But other
    > than that P2P is crippled and non standard ports are throttled. In general
    > I feel that UBS overall is inferior to that of Telecom's Jetstream product.


    I don't know if that is the case anymore.. I'm on orcon and I used to
    get like kbytes on ftp (throttled) recently I've noticed that im getting
    the full 32kbytes on ftp now, and also on the ocassion I've used
    torrents they have come down at like 28kbytes or so on heavily seeded
    ones at least.

    Remember that orcon move the top 10% of their traffic users into a
    different bandwidth pool, so you will get very different reports
    probably as some users will be in that pool and probably have far less
    performance.

    Unfortunately as far as I know orcon don't tell you if you are in the
    top 10% so you have no way of knowing, nor do you at what point you are
    likely to be in the top 10% so it's a bit of a gamble...

    but anyway recently i think orcon have improved quite a bit, im very
    happy with my 256ubs connection currently, things like skype running on
    a non standard port seem great..
     
    Nova, Aug 6, 2005
    #5
  6. Guest

    Nova Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:06:32 +1200, wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on
    >>> for to long a period
    >>>
    >>> Would appreciate any advise

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Looking at your IP, I'm going to assume you are currently using Telecom
    >> Xtra Jetstream wishing to change over to Orcon Bitstream for the purposes
    >> of my Reply.
    >>
    >> The idea of ISP's disconnecting you after a certain time period pertains
    >> more towards dial up connections rather than ADSL connections. At the
    >> moment I haven't heard of any ISP that will disconnect your ADSL
    >> connection
    >> after a certain time online as ADSL connections are suppose to beable
    >> to be
    >> "left on" permanently if the user so desires (but in NZ, generally not
    >> recommended due to lowish data caps combined with the off chance that
    >> some
    >> one could attack you sending your usage through the roof.).
    >>
    >> What is the reason you want to transfer from your Xtra Jetstream
    >> connection
    >> to Orcon? Is it cost? Higher Data caps? etc.
    >>
    >> At the moment, based on user feedback seen here and on Orcon's forums,
    >> Orcon bitstream service should be OKay for general surfing, Emailing, and
    >> may be Okay even for the odd online gaming on national servers. But
    >> other
    >> than that P2P is crippled and non standard ports are throttled. In
    >> general
    >> I feel that UBS overall is inferior to that of Telecom's Jetstream
    >> product.

    >
    >
    > I don't know if that is the case anymore.. I'm on orcon and I used to
    > get like kbytes on ftp (throttled) recently I've noticed that im getting
    > the full 32kbytes on ftp now, and also on the ocassion I've used
    > torrents they have come down at like 28kbytes or so on heavily seeded
    > ones at least.
    >
    > Remember that orcon move the top 10% of their traffic users into a
    > different bandwidth pool, so you will get very different reports
    > probably as some users will be in that pool and probably have far less
    > performance.
    >
    > Unfortunately as far as I know orcon don't tell you if you are in the
    > top 10% so you have no way of knowing, nor do you at what point you are
    > likely to be in the top 10% so it's a bit of a gamble...
    >
    > but anyway recently i think orcon have improved quite a bit, im very
    > happy with my 256ubs connection currently, things like skype running on
    > a non standard port seem great..


    that meant to be i used to get 7 kbytes on ftp :)
     
    Nova, Aug 6, 2005
    #6
  7. wrote:
    > I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.
    >
    > Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on for to
    > long a period
    >
    > Would appreciate any advise


    I attempted to contact Orcons commercial branch five times last week
    (during business hours), and five times got their answering machine. I
    wouldn't recommend them. I also sent an e-mail on the same matter and
    got no reply other than an automated message.

    Yes, UBS has improved, but customer service is poor.

    The Other Guy
     
    The Other Guy, Aug 6, 2005
    #7
  8. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Unfortunately as far as I know orcon don't tell you if you are in the
    > top 10% so you have no way of knowing, nor do you at what point you
    > are likely to be in the top 10% so it's a bit of a gamble...


    Orcon have stated that the point where they will throttle is currently at
    around 20GB/month. If you are up/down-loading that much data on the
    256kb/s - unlimited plan they will shape your connection. That figure is a
    little old now so it may have shifted up or down.

    Apparently Telecom give them 10GB/month per connection but a lot of their
    users are nowhere near that which allows others to have "more than their
    share" (so to speak). Orcon have previously stated that it all balances out
    except for the few people who are using in excess of 20GB. Orcon have to
    bite the bullet for that traffic themselves and so shape them quite
    severely.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2005
    #8
  9. Guest

    Evil Bastard Guest

    wrote:
    > I am thinking of changing to Orcon from Telecom.
    >
    > Are there any pifalls. I have heard Orcon disconnect if you are on for to
    > long a period
    >
    > Would appreciate any advise


    In case you missed my earlier posts, Orcon ubs is kinda ok, except the
    ping times and latency are so bad that if you're into online gaming
    you'll spend half your time getting pwned by enemies you haven't even
    seen yet.

    Another problem with Orcon ubs is when you move house. Then, it's not a
    simple matter of transferring the connection to the new address. You're
    looking at:

    - up to 3 weeks downtime

    - Orcon has no 'transfer of ubs connection' procedure

    - hours on the phone to the helldesk fighting bullshit red tape

    - you must have the old connection terminated, and the phone cut off,
    before you can even apply for a new connection

    - Orcon internally takes up to a week to process new connection
    requests

    - In my case, when Orcon finally actioned the new connect request,
    Telecom bounced it because Orcon got a letter in my name wrong;
    Orcon took 2 days to notify me of this Telecom bounce

    - Expect to be paying double-fees while the 45-day notice period on
    the connection at your old address expires

    - Expect to be be fobbed off onto unpredictable and heavily throttled
    temporary dialup connections that can drop out at any time regardless
    of traffic. Once, it took me an hour and dozens of connect attempts
    before I got a working connection, and then, it was only around 1k2.

    I'm seriously thinking of giving up UBS myself.

    Sorry to say, but it seems Orcon have gone the way of Paradise. It
    appears Orcon has signed some weird contract with Telecom requiring them
    to take it up the bunty and not criticise Telecom in any way.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    --

    One who is not a conservative by age 20 has no brain.
    One who is not a liberal by age 40 has no heart.
     
    Evil Bastard, Aug 6, 2005
    #9
  10. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Sorry to say, but it seems Orcon have gone the way of Paradise. It
    > appears Orcon has signed some weird contract with Telecom requiring
    > them to take it up the bunty and not criticise Telecom in any way.


    An Orcon helldesk drone told me last week that; "Not many people know this
    but we have a different arrangement with Telecom to all the other ISPs in
    NZ".
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2005
    #10
  11. Guest

    Steve Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >> Sorry to say, but it seems Orcon have gone the way of Paradise. It
    >> appears Orcon has signed some weird contract with Telecom requiring
    >> them to take it up the bunty and not criticise Telecom in any way.

    >
    > An Orcon helldesk drone told me last week that; "Not many people know this
    > but we have a different arrangement with Telecom to all the other ISPs in
    > NZ".
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    >


    Is this the special arrangement where Orcon get bent over twice as hard as
    the other ISPs? Because I'm not seeing anything special about Orcon from
    where I'm sitting...

    Cheers.
     
    Steve, Aug 8, 2005
    #11
  12. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>> Sorry to say, but it seems Orcon have gone the way of Paradise. It
    >>> appears Orcon has signed some weird contract with Telecom requiring
    >>> them to take it up the bunty and not criticise Telecom in any way.

    >>
    >> An Orcon helldesk drone told me last week that; "Not many people
    >> know this but we have a different arrangement with Telecom to all
    >> the other ISPs in NZ".
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    >
    > Is this the special arrangement where Orcon get bent over twice as
    > hard as the other ISPs? Because I'm not seeing anything special about
    > Orcon from where I'm sitting...


    Then you're not sitting outside their office watching Seeby drive in and out
    in a new Ferrari. How many other ISP bosses drive a Ferrari?

    If that's getting bent over hard then bend me over.......
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 8, 2005
    #12
  13. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> Is this the special arrangement where Orcon get bent over twice as
    >> hard as the other ISPs? Because I'm not seeing anything special about
    >> Orcon from where I'm sitting...

    >
    > Then you're not sitting outside their office watching Seeby drive in
    > and out in a new Ferrari. How many other ISP bosses drive a Ferrari?
    >
    > If that's getting bent over hard then bend me over.......


    Also, it seems Orcon have a new addition to their recorded messages. I've
    heard it three times in the last month. You press 3 to speak to someone
    about connection problems and you get this voice saying "We are currently
    experiencing a minor outage with our UBS service, we expect it to be fixed
    in ten to fifteen minutes". You then get dumped back to the main menu.

    How pathetic! Today I heard this and it was a good half-hour until UBS was
    back up. I don't know how long it had been down. The time before it took
    nearly four hours. Yet they have the cheek to use the same (10 - 15 minutes)
    outage message every time.

    Also, what constitutes a "minor" outage? Obviously it's NZ-wide if they have
    this message activated. (When there's been a local outage I get through to
    the helldesk).

    Not good.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2005
    #13
  14. Guest

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is this the special arrangement where Orcon get bent over twice as
    >>>hard as the other ISPs? Because I'm not seeing anything special about
    >>>Orcon from where I'm sitting...

    >>
    >>Then you're not sitting outside their office watching Seeby drive in
    >>and out in a new Ferrari. How many other ISP bosses drive a Ferrari?
    >>
    >>If that's getting bent over hard then bend me over.......

    >
    >
    > Also, it seems Orcon have a new addition to their recorded messages. I've
    > heard it three times in the last month. You press 3 to speak to someone
    > about connection problems and you get this voice saying "We are currently
    > experiencing a minor outage with our UBS service, we expect it to be fixed
    > in ten to fifteen minutes". You then get dumped back to the main menu.
    >
    > How pathetic! Today I heard this and it was a good half-hour until UBS was
    > back up. I don't know how long it had been down. The time before it took
    > nearly four hours. Yet they have the cheek to use the same (10 - 15 minutes)
    > outage message every time.
    >
    > Also, what constitutes a "minor" outage? Obviously it's NZ-wide if they have
    > this message activated. (When there's been a local outage I get through to
    > the helldesk).
    >
    > Not good.

    As a matter of interest, how many times to you phone them on average
    each month ? - what was you worst month ?
     
    Chris Mayhew, Aug 9, 2005
    #14
  15. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Also, it seems Orcon have a new addition to their recorded messages.
    >> I've heard it three times in the last month. You press 3 to speak to
    >> someone about connection problems and you get this voice saying "We
    >> are currently experiencing a minor outage with our UBS service, we
    >> expect it to be fixed in ten to fifteen minutes". You then get
    >> dumped back to the main menu. How pathetic! Today I heard this and it was
    >> a good half-hour until
    >> UBS was back up. I don't know how long it had been down. The time
    >> before it took nearly four hours. Yet they have the cheek to use the
    >> same (10 - 15 minutes) outage message every time.
    >>
    >> Also, what constitutes a "minor" outage? Obviously it's NZ-wide if
    >> they have this message activated. (When there's been a local outage
    >> I get through to the helldesk).
    >>
    >> Not good.

    >
    > As a matter of interest, how many times to you phone them on average
    > each month ? - what was you worst month ?


    I've rang them maybe five times in a month before. This month is shaping up
    to be worse.

    They had an outage yesterday right? The one I mention above. Well, after my
    router went back on-line I checked my email and my newsgroups. I noticed
    that the Gmail notifier gave me an "Unable to reach <IP>" message.

    Yesterday was a special day for me (and anyone who plays Diablo II - Lord of
    Destruction on-line. It was the first ladder re-set for nearly two years.
    This meant that if I got on-line and playing (I'm quite good at it) I most
    likely would have ben able to get on the leader-board for at least a while.
    (A couple of my friends did just that). However, while reading/posting to
    newsgroups I checked the battle.net servers every few minutes and it
    wouldn't connect. (The servers had been taken off-line for the reset).

    However, after a while I saw posts in the newsgrops that other people were
    able to log onto and play on the US West server (The one I play on). This
    concerned me as my chances of getting on the leaderboard were dissolving
    rapidly. I rang the Orcon number again and this time the recorded message
    said that "After the earlier UBS outage all services have been restored".

    Ok, so I figured the problem was at my end. I thought that, during the
    ladder re-set, Blizzard may have changed ports or somesuch so I started
    looking into my firewall. I couldn't see much wrong there so looked into my
    router configuration. Still everything looked good. (In the meantime I was
    periodically checking battle.net to see if I could get onto their servers).
    I was going nuts. Orcon's meassage said (And still does now) that all
    services had been restored. Finally, after a couple of hours of
    frustrations, I remebered that Gmail had given me an error message as well.
    I rang them again, 5pm, got past the recorded messages and actually got to
    speak to a person. Not only that but the person who I spoke to seemed
    smarter than your average drone. (Just got off the phone with them *again*
    but we'll get to that).

    He told me that a certain range of IPs had somehow become blocked from
    getting international traffic. They didn't know how or why but "were working
    on it". I explained to him about the Diablo 2 Ladder reset and how I had
    been going frantic all day, trying to get on line. He said that the problem
    would probably be fixed overnight but until then he'd give me access to one
    of their 'tester' accounts that could get international traffic. After many
    attempts at logging on, trying to re-set different passwords I finally got
    connected and the Gmail notifier popped up to say it had connected. Woot! I
    managed to play my game for a while. However, all chance of getting on the
    leader-board was long gone, there were others who had been playing for five
    hours longer than me. And I know it's "only a game" but it's important to me
    and is the primary reason I got ADSL. Also, these ladder resets happen about
    once every 18 months and I'd been waiting expectantly for this one for quite
    a while now.

    (Just got off the phone with them *again*, they rang me this time as I'd
    escalated it and asked to, and after a half-hour delay, got to speak to the
    supervisor)

    Cut to this morning. I fire up my PC and, foolishly change my log-on and
    password back to my normal one..... No international traffic! I change back
    to the tester account and... it won't log on. (I'm since told that the techs
    grab them as they become available and change the password before giving
    them to another customer) Long story shorter, I've been on the phone to them
    four times this morning, three calls by me, one back from them. They still
    have the problem with a certain group of IPs. They still don't know why.
    "No", they couldn't hook me back up with a tester account as they had a
    finite number of those and they had all been assigned to business customers
    who "needed their ADSL to access their sites etc." The supervisor was going
    to ring me back in an 10-15 minutes. I rang an hour later and asked for him,
    then _insisted_ when I was told he was busy. He said he had my number on his
    desk and was going to ring me when he'd got the problem fixed.

    I told him it wasn't good enough, I'd been promised a call within 15 minutes
    and I'd had to call back myself and harrass a drone to get through to him.
    He re-stated that I couldn't have access to a tester account as they were in
    use by business'. I was offered free dial-up until it was fixed, probably
    tomorrow or the next day. I categorically refused, told them I don't have a
    dial-up modem installed (true, but I could throw one in in 10 minutes).

    Finally he said he'd ring me back. I sighed and said "Ok". Surprisingly he
    rang back within 15 minutes and got me to re-boot my router and let it
    re-connect. He'd assigned me a different IP, one that had international
    access, and told me that my 'static' IP had now changed so if I had anything
    pointing to it I'd either have to change it or contact them in a few days
    when they had it sorted to change back to my old one. I aid I had nothing
    pointing to that IP so it didn't worry me that it had changed.

    The supervisor thamked me for my patience (Ha! What choice did I have?) and
    said that, until I contacted them they weren't fully aware of what was
    wrong, that they still don't know how to fix it but hope to have it sorted
    in a few days. Meanwhile their recorded message still says "all services
    have been restored. It's been over 24 hours since the problem first appeared
    and i wouldn't have got it fixed if I hadn't been such a PITA. How many
    other Orcon customers are without international access? There must be a few
    as their tester accounts are all assigned.

    Anyway, there ya go. I thought Orocn had just started to get things right.
    It seems that they're still over-stretched however. I'm gonna play my game
    for a while now. No chance of getting on the leader board and grabbing a
    little D2 fame but that's life with Orcon I guess.

    I *knew* I shouldn't have given them that 'all-clear' post last week.
    Tempting fate.

    Ciao,
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 10, 2005
    #15
  16. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I *knew* I shouldn't have given them that 'all-clear' post last week.
    > Tempting fate.


    Oh, BTW, I mistakenly upgraded last month to 2M and then downgraded again
    this month to 256K. Wouldn't you know it, I was given an "RFS' date each
    time (Ready For Service) but told it may be up to 48 hours after that date.
    The upgrade was four days late. The downgrade was "at least* a day early.
    I'd noticed it seemed slow for a day or so and checked it the day before the
    RFS date and got less than 256K from test sites.

    <shrug> If I bought it up with Orcon they'd just say it was Telecom. I'll
    have to pay for a month at the higher rate even though up to a week of that
    was at the slower rate.

    Once again I have to revise my stand on Orcon and say they aren't a good bet
    if you're looking for stable ADSL. At the moment.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 10, 2005
    #16
  17. Guest

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>I *knew* I shouldn't have given them that 'all-clear' post last week.
    >>Tempting fate.

    >
    >
    > Oh, BTW, I mistakenly upgraded last month to 2M and then downgraded again
    > this month to 256K. Wouldn't you know it, I was given an "RFS' date each
    > time (Ready For Service) but told it may be up to 48 hours after that date.
    > The upgrade was four days late. The downgrade was "at least* a day early.
    > I'd noticed it seemed slow for a day or so and checked it the day before the
    > RFS date and got less than 256K from test sites.
    >
    > <shrug> If I bought it up with Orcon they'd just say it was Telecom. I'll
    > have to pay for a month at the higher rate even though up to a week of that
    > was at the slower rate.
    >
    > Once again I have to revise my stand on Orcon and say they aren't a good bet
    > if you're looking for stable ADSL. At the moment.


    I never took up the 2Mb offer - I didn't see the point as the lag is my
    main gripe, though it does vary quite a lot. It seems to take a long
    time to get to outside of the country a lot of the time. I noticed an
    increase in latency as soon as I went onto Orcon UBS and it's always
    been quite bad compared to what others seem to be saying.

    Basically I have given up on Orcon due to all the agro so when I
    relocate I may well not bother with Orcon like I didn't bother sticking
    with Ihug when I first got ADSL after months of agro regarding my ULTRA
    install which, after they visited me, conceded that the install wasn't
    up to scratch. It did work quite well after they finally fixed it, but
    the "damage" had already been done, if you know what I mean. The same
    applies to Telecom mobile, when I went in to upgrade my 025 I told them
    what features I wanted on my new phone and they told me *I* couldn't do
    that ( I wanted to get email on my phone and also data to feed to my
    notebook via bluetooth or IR) I smiled, walked out, and went down the
    street to Vodafone.

    Also, I set up two new accounts for people with Orcon (on line), 1
    business and one personal and Orcon never bothered to contact these
    people so I don't *ever* recommend Orcon to anyone these days, it's just
    to embarrassing.
     
    Chris Mayhew, Aug 10, 2005
    #17
  18. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    <snip>

    > I don't *ever* recommend Orcon to anyone these days, it's
    > just to embarrassing.


    Yeah, same here. And I can't bring myself to recommend Xtra so I just shrug
    now.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 11, 2005
    #18
  19. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:39:58 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> I don't *ever* recommend Orcon to anyone these days, it's
    >> just to embarrassing.

    >
    > Yeah, same here. And I can't bring myself to recommend Xtra so I just shrug
    > now.


    And their accounts system appears to have gone downhill....
     
    wogers nemesis, Aug 11, 2005
    #19
  20. Guest

    Robert Cooze Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I don't *ever* recommend Orcon to anyone these days, it's
    >>just to embarrassing.

    >
    >
    > Yeah, same here. And I can't bring myself to recommend Xtra so I just shrug
    > now.

    Internet companys have become somthing like Utitilies companys the
    people we love to hate (like Power, gass & telephone)

    Yes Some are better but FFS I dont know any more

    I am Still happy with orcon on dial up (not using there mail).sort of
    my in laws have tryed every tinpot provider (went for the cheepest) and
    have had a verry bumpy ride now with orcon. now sling shot seems to be
    making the right noises comments please?

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
     
    Robert Cooze, Aug 11, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. madknoxie

    Orcon to iServe mail issue

    madknoxie, Sep 5, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    536
    madknoxie
    Sep 5, 2003
  2. Classic Car Fair

    Orcon

    Classic Car Fair, Oct 27, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,292
    Brendan
    Nov 15, 2003
  3. Brendan

    changing from Orcon UBS to Orcon Jetstream

    Brendan, Feb 25, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    541
    Brendan
    Feb 25, 2005
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 29, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    492
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Apr 29, 2005
  5. Nova

    Orcon's Forums (for orcon users)

    Nova, Mar 15, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    819
    Mutley
    Mar 18, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page