    Anyone else notice this trend?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 17, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    james Guest

    I have had an orcon account for about 3 months. I dont use that email
    address at all, as I have a domain. Over the weekend I got 4 virus infected
    emails in it.

    Dont know how they got my address. It could be a dictionary attack, but I
    dont have a very common name.

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in the

    last
    > 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working well.
    >
    > I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s). However,

    as
    > of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to 35 spam emails a
    > day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary attacks. I have an

    Xtra
    > account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account

    gets
    > checked every time I check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that

    one

    james, May 17, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    Wyn Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
    > the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working well.
    >
    > I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
    > However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
    > 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary
    > attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my
    > ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I check my other
    > accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any other emails for
    > that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are Orcon addys more prone
    > to spam than other addys?
    >
    > Anyone else notice this trend?

    It's always been around. When my Paradise address got spammed I opened
    two new ones and they have both been clean so far. Unfortunately the
    original spammed address could not be closed because it was my logon at
    Paradise and apparently the only way I could close it was to sign off
    completely from Paradise and reapply, which I am not going to do, so
    their server can continue to be cluttered with spam from that address..
    Once they've got your address on their CDs that address has had it.

    As far as the viruses are concerned, that's an immense number to get.
    I've been lucky enough to only get four or five in the past three years
    or so. With one of them I actually managed to track down the infected
    machine. Quite a victory. My missus (it's catching :)) has a whole host
    of computer illiterate friends who have our address and every so often I
    give the lot of them a hurry up just so that they don't forget that
    there are viruses around. There's someone with a very sick computer who
    has your address in their address book.

    Wyn

    Wyn, May 17, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wyn wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
    >> the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
    >> However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
    >> 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary
    >> attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my
    >> ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I check my other
    >> accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any other emails for
    >> that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are Orcon addys more prone
    >> to spam than other addys?
    >>
    >> Anyone else notice this trend?

    > It's always been around. When my Paradise address got spammed I opened
    > two new ones and they have both been clean so far. Unfortunately the
    > original spammed address could not be closed because it was my logon
    > at Paradise and apparently the only way I could close it was to sign
    > off completely from Paradise and reapply, which I am not going to do,
    > so their server can continue to be cluttered with spam from that
    > address.. Once they've got your address on their CDs that address has
    > had it.

    A lot of the spams are sent to huge lists of people, all with similar
    spelling to my addy. It's definitely a dictionary attack.

    > As far as the viruses are concerned, that's an immense number to get.
    > I've been lucky enough to only get four or five in the past three
    > years or so. With one of them I actually managed to track down the
    > infected machine. Quite a victory. My missus (it's catching :))

    <g> It's easier than "significant other" or fiancee. We're engaged, not
    married, or I'd say "wife". She doesn't mind being called the missus.

    > has
    > a whole host of computer illiterate friends who have our address and
    > every so often I give the lot of them a hurry up just so that they
    > don't forget that there are viruses around. There's someone with a
    > very sick computer who has your address in their address book.

    Could be, I'm not sure how this one is spreading, whether it's random.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 17, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:56:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in the last
    >24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working well.
    >
    >I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s). However, as
    >of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to 35 spam emails a
    >day on my Orcon account. Most of them are dictionary attacks. I have an Xtra
    >account that is mostly redundant (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account gets
    >checked every time I check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one
    >(or any other emails for that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are
    >Orcon addys more prone to spam than other addys?
    >
    >Anyone else notice this trend?

    Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
    never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
    get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
    Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 17, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:56:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
    >> the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
    >> However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
    >> 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are
    >> dictionary attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant
    >> (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I
    >> check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any
    >> other emails for that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are
    >> Orcon addys more prone to spam than other addys?
    >>
    >> Anyone else notice this trend?

    > Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
    > never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
    > get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
    > Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

    Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy and
    most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 17, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    Nelly Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:17:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:56:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Orcon Virus Guard has found and removed 18 virus' from my emails in
    >>> the last 24 hours. That's a lot I reckon. It seems to be working
    >>> well.
    >>>
    >>> I used to be, and still am, very careful with my email addy(s).
    >>> However, as of about three or so months ago, I've been getting up to
    >>> 35 spam emails a day on my Orcon account. Most of them are
    >>> dictionary attacks. I have an Xtra account that is mostly redundant
    >>> (Xtra is my ISP for now). That account gets checked every time I
    >>> check my other accounts. I get *zero* spams on that one (or any
    >>> other emails for that matter, I haven't used it for years). Are
    >>> Orcon addys more prone to spam than other addys?
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else notice this trend?

    >> Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
    >> never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
    >> get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
    >> Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

    >Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy and
    >most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.
    >
    >Cheers,

    I get a lot more spam to my orcon account than I do to my ihug and my
    spam has escalated to a around 150 per day.

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Nelly, May 17, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    Mike_P Guest

    "Nelly" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:17:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > >> Yep. I keep an Orcon account as a backup & I dont use the email. I've
    > >> never given out the email addy to anyone except maybe 3 people, and I
    > >> get masses of spam to it... mostly dictionary attacks but not all.
    > >> Averages about 20 spams a day, occasionally more.

    > >Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy

    and
    > >most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.
    > >
    > >Cheers,

    > I get a lot more spam to my orcon account than I do to my ihug and my
    > spam has escalated to a around 150 per day.
    >

    > Nelly.
    > If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Why don't you enable Spam Filtering on your Orcon Account. Orcon catch 'All'
    the spam to my account, which is more than I can say for ClearNet !

    Mike

    Mike_P, May 17, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    Wyn Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Wyn wrote:
    >> infected machine. Quite a victory. My missus (it's catching :))

    > <g> It's easier than "significant other" or fiancee. We're engaged,
    > not married, or I'd say "wife". She doesn't mind being called the
    > missus.

    ROTFL I hope she doesn't realise that "missus" is the colloquial form of
    "mistress".

    Oops! I'd better revert to referring to my "wife".

    Wyn

    Wyn, May 17, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    Nelly Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:16:17 +1200, "Mike_P"
    <> wrote:

    >"Nelly" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:17:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Thanks for the confirmation Gavin, I'm fairly careful who gets my addy

    >and
    >> >most of the spams appear to be of the dictionary variety.
    >> >
    >> >Cheers,

    >> I get a lot more spam to my orcon account than I do to my ihug and my
    >> spam has escalated to a around 150 per day.
    >>

    >> Nelly.
    >> If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    >Why don't you enable Spam Filtering on your Orcon Account. Orcon catch 'All'
    >the spam to my account, which is more than I can say for ClearNet !
    >
    >Mike

    I have an automatic forward to my ihug account which has spam
    filtering. I check my ihug spam filters as sometimes some of my emails
    do go through to there then forward what I want and delete the rest.

    I am just looking at Orcon now as I didn't know they had introduced
    Spam filtering so will play around and change things and see what
    happens to spam from there.

    Thanks.

    Nelly, May 17, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    Worm Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone else notice this trend?
    > --

    I've been with Orcon for...err, 4 years? Have been pretty careful with my
    email over that time, and its been only in the last few months I've been
    getting about 5 SPAM emails a week. THe virusguard has been going mental
    though as you said...but I have never received that much crap, so maybe its
    just that Orcon has only just started sending us notification :)

    Worm

    Worm, May 17, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Worm wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone else notice this trend?
    >> --

    > I've been with Orcon for...err, 4 years? Have been pretty careful
    > with my email over that time, and its been only in the last few
    > months I've been getting about 5 SPAM emails a week. THe virusguard
    > has been going mental though as you said...but I have never received
    > that much crap, so maybe its just that Orcon has only just started
    > sending us notification :)

    Yeah, they only activated their Virusguard/Spam filtering option recently.
    (Great move too, maybe prompted by this recent deluge). Maybe they just
    deleted them before but I doubt it somehow. I configured my spam filter at
    their website to mark spam but send it on, then I have SpamPal on my PC so
    it goes to a different folder to my main inbox.

    I originally set it at Orcon's end to not send spam, just delete it from the
    server, but got paranoid that I might be missing legitimate emails. <Shrug>.
    It's easy enough to delete them here.

    I have two Orcon accounts (Don't tell them <g>), one for casual contacts and
    one for family/close friends. Between them I'm currently getting 30+ spams
    and 10 or so virus intercepts a day. Sometimes more. Same for my darling
    fiancee, although she's getting a lot more than me. It only started a while
    ago, for a long time the accounts were "clean". A lot of the spam seems to
    be originating from the same places and is of the dictionary variety. Not
    all of it though, maybe they add non-bounced emails to a database? Maybe the
    spammers have just started targeting Orcon?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 17, 2004