Orcon USENET server is terribly unreliable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. Copy of an email I just sent to <>:

    The subject says it all. It's consistently the WORST USENET service I've
    EVER had from ANY ISP in New Zealand, EVER. It flakes out all the time,
    I can't connect, it hangs with no info being sent halfway through an
    operation (like sending an article). I might as well go back to paying
    NewsGuy (a US based USENET feed) who were great _and_ carried all the
    groups I want (which you do, it's just the service is crap) for USD$9.95
    per month. But then WTF am I paying you guys for? Email? I can do that
    myself if need be!

    Please - I want a decent freaking USENET feed. Why is it taking so long
    to sort this out?

    Also, the service you outsource to obviously doesn't give a sh*t about
    their feed and the quality of groups carried - just look at all the
    POINTLESS misspelled, empty groups! WTF is the point of carrying other
    people's errors in creating groups???

    What kind of a micky mouse operation is this? C'mon Orcon - get your act
    together. You _used_ to be a decent ISP.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet (a very pissed off customer).

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Hmmm Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Copy of an email I just sent to <>:
    >
    > The subject says it all. It's consistently the WORST USENET service I've
    > EVER had from ANY ISP in New Zealand, EVER. It flakes out all the time,
    > I can't connect, it hangs with no info being sent halfway through an
    > operation (like sending an article). I might as well go back to paying
    > NewsGuy (a US based USENET feed) who were great _and_ carried all the
    > groups I want (which you do, it's just the service is crap) for USD$9.95
    > per month. But then WTF am I paying you guys for? Email? I can do that
    > myself if need be!
    >
    > Please - I want a decent freaking USENET feed. Why is it taking so long
    > to sort this out?
    >
    > Also, the service you outsource to obviously doesn't give a sh*t about
    > their feed and the quality of groups carried - just look at all the
    > POINTLESS misspelled, empty groups! WTF is the point of carrying other
    > people's errors in creating groups???
    >
    > What kind of a micky mouse operation is this? C'mon Orcon - get your act
    > together. You _used_ to be a decent ISP.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet (a very pissed off customer).

    Yeah cause that kind of message will help your cause.
    Also remember that only a small amount of users use usenet so its not
    exactly going to be top of their priorities. Anyway the choice of isp's
    is large so you aren't forced to stay with orcon if newsfeeds are
    important to you. :)

    Hmmm, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    cAPTAIN^k Guest

    LOL yeah I got an error when connecting to it this afternoon saying the
    servers trial period had expired on Oct 28 2004

    cAPTAIN^k, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Hmmm Guest

    cAPTAIN^k wrote:
    > LOL yeah I got an error when connecting to it this afternoon saying the
    > servers trial period had expired on Oct 28 2004

    heh that might have something to do with it :)

    Hmmm, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    steve Guest

    steve, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    cAPTAIN^k wrote:
    > LOL yeah I got an error when connecting to it this afternoon saying the
    > servers trial period had expired on Oct 28 2004

    Yeah, me too. Wondered what was going on, but the message hasn't
    appeared again, and newsgroups were only briefly unavailable.

    Not very a professional look, though, is it?

    I reckon we had better usenet service with Welcom and the other BBSs,
    I'm sure there must a couple of other people here who remember them.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:31:20 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > What kind of a micky mouse operation is this? C'mon Orcon - get your act
    > together. You _used_ to be a decent ISP.

    I agree with everything you have said, although I would have tried to be
    more diplomatic with my wording.

    Orcon does not promote or explain what usenet is on their site, so it is
    not surprising new customers do not use it.

    Their anti-spam system is under documented also. It seems that Seeby has
    dropped the ball...

    --

    .... Brendan

    Outdolence: The act of giving or distributing indolence

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/10/2004 11:13:43 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 30, 2004
  8. In article <1gmhckn.xv8peba3vsjiN%> in nz.comp
    on Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:31:20 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet
    <> says...

    > Also, the service you outsource to obviously doesn't give a sh*t about
    > their feed and the quality of groups carried - just look at all the
    > POINTLESS misspelled, empty groups! WTF is the point of carrying other
    > people's errors in creating groups???

    In the alt hierarchy, anyone can create a group. All ISPs carry these
    groups, regardless.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 30, 2004
  9. "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In the alt hierarchy, anyone can create a group. All ISPs carry these
    > groups, regardless.

    I doubt that this is the case. I have seen the usenet of many ISPs in the
    course of my work and they all carry varying numbers of groups. I vaguely
    recall there being a post (or maybe it was an email) from someone at I think
    it was ihug a number of years ago stating that they were pruning invalid
    groups from their usenet server... I presume that many other ISPs do the
    same.

    Andrew

    Andrew Bryson, Oct 30, 2004
  10. In article <cm13of$vru$> in nz.comp on Sun, 31 Oct 2004
    11:14:29 +1300, Andrew Bryson <> says...
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > In the alt hierarchy, anyone can create a group. All ISPs carry these
    > > groups, regardless.

    > I doubt that this is the case. I have seen the usenet of many ISPs in the
    > course of my work and they all carry varying numbers of groups. I vaguely
    > recall there being a post (or maybe it was an email) from someone at I think
    > it was ihug a number of years ago stating that they were pruning invalid
    > groups from their usenet server... I presume that many other ISPs do the
    > same.

    How does Ihug decide what is an "invalid" group?

    Paradise carries something like 65,000 groups. Within those are a number
    that have different spellings of the same words.

    I'm sure you too can subscribe to
    alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove if you wish,
    as long as the group has been validly created by sending the appropriate
    control message who is to say if it is invalid or not?

    This is different from when the ISPs were asked by Internal Affairs to
    remove certain groups in alt.binaries.sex hierarchy.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 31, 2004
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Hmmm Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > cAPTAIN^k wrote:
    >
    >> LOL yeah I got an error when connecting to it this afternoon saying
    >> the servers trial period had expired on Oct 28 2004

    > Yeah, me too. Wondered what was going on, but the message hasn't
    > appeared again, and newsgroups were only briefly unavailable.
    >
    > Not very a professional look, though, is it?
    >
    > I reckon we had better usenet service with Welcom and the other BBSs,
    > I'm sure there must a couple of other people here who remember them.
    >
    > cheers

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    I just got the trial error... :)

    Hmmm, Oct 31, 2004
  12. To begin with please note who I am posting this through- that's right:
    GOOGLE! Cause I can't even freakin' download any articles from Orcon's
    freakin' crap server!!!

    On the upside I did get the reply below from Orcon the other day
    (which I would have loved to have posted earlier - but I can't access
    my above post to reply to it!!!) so all hope is not lost - yet:

    Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:25:53 +1300
    From: "Orcon Technical" <>
    Subject: [Orcon Technical #DOR-87464-144]: Orcon USENET server is
    terribly unreliable

    We are already looking at an alternative provider at the moment.
    Newsfeeds.com are not giving a very good service at all.

    Thanks
    Craig

    I sincerely hope Orcon gets off their arses and gets a decent service
    asap, cause as I told their phone tech support guy (who didn't f**king
    know what I meant by "USENET", but finally the penny dropped when I
    said "newsgroups") after waiting _52_ minutes (I was _really_ steamed
    :) ) "Either get a decent USENET service or you lose me as a
    customer. I'll give you five days".

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 31, 2004
  13. Hmmm <> wrote in message news:<41832294_2@127.0.0.1>...
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Copy of an email I just sent to <>:
    > >
    > > The subject says it all. It's consistently the WORST USENET service I've
    > > EVER had from ANY ISP in New Zealand, EVER. It flakes out all the time,
    > > I can't connect, it hangs with no info being sent halfway through an
    > > operation (like sending an article). I might as well go back to paying
    > > NewsGuy (a US based USENET feed) who were great _and_ carried all the
    > > groups I want (which you do, it's just the service is crap) for USD$9.95
    > > per month. But then WTF am I paying you guys for? Email? I can do that
    > > myself if need be!
    > >
    > > Please - I want a decent freaking USENET feed. Why is it taking so long
    > > to sort this out?
    > >
    > > Also, the service you outsource to obviously doesn't give a sh*t about
    > > their feed and the quality of groups carried - just look at all the
    > > POINTLESS misspelled, empty groups! WTF is the point of carrying other
    > > people's errors in creating groups???
    > >
    > > What kind of a micky mouse operation is this? C'mon Orcon - get your act
    > > together. You _used_ to be a decent ISP.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet (a very pissed off customer).

    > Yeah cause that kind of message will help your cause.
    > Also remember that only a small amount of users use usenet so its not
    > exactly going to be top of their priorities. Anyway the choice of isp's
    > is large so you aren't forced to stay with orcon if newsfeeds are
    > important to you. :)

    I don't give a sh*t. Asking nicely isn't working anymore. I NEED a
    decent bloody text and binary newsgroup feed! It is INCONCEIVABLE that
    they couldn't have set up a decent server themselves or found a GOOD
    service provider to do the job for them by now! I mean, how
    incompetent can you GET??? It's been weeks of crap service and now NO
    damn service (or nothing workable for me, at least). It's not f**king
    rocket science. WTF is so special about Orcon that they can't get this
    right?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
    universe is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 31, 2004
  14. On 31 Oct 2004 02:40:08 -0800, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > To begin with please note who I am posting this through- that's right:
    > GOOGLE! Cause I can't even freakin' download any articles from Orcon's
    > freakin' crap server!!!
    >
    > On the upside I did get the reply below from Orcon the other day
    > (which I would have loved to have posted earlier - but I can't access
    > my above post to reply to it!!!) so all hope is not lost - yet:
    >
    > Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:25:53 +1300
    > From: "Orcon Technical" <>
    > Subject: [Orcon Technical #DOR-87464-144]: Orcon USENET server is
    > terribly unreliable
    >
    > We are already looking at an alternative provider at the moment.
    > Newsfeeds.com are not giving a very good service at all.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    >
    > I sincerely hope Orcon gets off their arses and gets a decent service
    > asap, cause as I told their phone tech support guy (who didn't f**king
    > know what I meant by "USENET", but finally the penny dropped when I
    > said "newsgroups") after waiting _52_ minutes (I was _really_ steamed
    > :) ) "Either get a decent USENET service or you lose me as a
    > customer. I'll give you five days".
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    >
    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in message news:<1gmhckn.xv8peba3vsjiN%>...
    >> Copy of an email I just sent to <>:
    >>
    >> The subject says it all. It's consistently the WORST USENET service I've
    >> EVER had from ANY ISP in New Zealand, EVER. It flakes out all the time,
    >> I can't connect, it hangs with no info being sent halfway through an
    >> operation (like sending an article). I might as well go back to paying
    >> NewsGuy (a US based USENET feed) who were great _and_ carried all the
    >> groups I want (which you do, it's just the service is crap) for USD$9.95
    >> per month. But then WTF am I paying you guys for? Email? I can do that
    >> myself if need be!
    >>
    >> Please - I want a decent freaking USENET feed. Why is it taking so long
    >> to sort this out?
    >>
    >> Also, the service you outsource to obviously doesn't give a sh*t about
    >> their feed and the quality of groups carried - just look at all the
    >> POINTLESS misspelled, empty groups! WTF is the point of carrying other
    >> people's errors in creating groups???
    >>
    >> What kind of a micky mouse operation is this? C'mon Orcon - get your act
    >> together. You _used_ to be a decent ISP.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet (a very pissed off customer).

    I have to agree 100% with you. It has gone to the dogs. I mean all I want
    to actually work is nz.comp.

    The reality is though that they are only trying to please all 10 customers
    who actually use newsgroups (I mean if the helldesk guy doesn't know what
    usenet is then there is no hope for joe average).

    Of course if the ISPs could sort out some peering arrangements..

    I'll be lucky if anyone sees this post at all.

    wogers nemesis, Oct 31, 2004
  15. Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <1gmhckn.xv8peba3vsjiN%> in nz.comp
    > on Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:31:20 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet
    > <> says...
    >
    > > Also, the service you outsource to obviously doesn't give a sh*t about
    > > their feed and the quality of groups carried - just look at all the
    > > POINTLESS misspelled, empty groups! WTF is the point of carrying other
    > > people's errors in creating groups???

    > In the alt hierarchy, anyone can create a group. All ISPs carry these
    > groups, regardless.

    Not what I mean.

    Examples of the stupid mistake groups carried by Orcon's provider are:

    comp.sys.mac.commcomp.sys.mac.system
    comp.sys.mac.wantedmisc.forsale.computers.mac

    nz.org.isconz
    nz.org.isocnz } [spot the difference.]

    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.hmtl

    HTF do you justify this sh*t?

    F**king incompetent of them and Orcon for choosing them.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    I am Pentium of Borg, Division is Futile, You will be approximated!

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 31, 2004
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    MarkH Guest

    wogers nemesis <> wrote in

    > The reality is though that they are only trying to please all 10
    > customers who actually use newsgroups (I mean if the helldesk guy
    > doesn't know what usenet is then there is no hope for joe average).

    I have to wonder if they have any way of knowing how many customers use the
    newsgroups. I used to use my ISP to read this group and one other, then I
    changed to Orcon and I started using my Easynews account for reading this
    group.

    Luckily for me I have an account with Easynews anyway, otherwise I would
    not be happy. It is also lucky that I use a mail server for all outgoing
    mail and my pop accounts are hosted by the provider that hosts my website.
    I only need my ISP to provide the connection to the internet and Orcon is
    doing a good enough job of that.

    Unfortunately no other ISP seems to be offering an uncapped service for a
    256k or faster plan. 10GB is just not enough and the excess charges (on
    any plan that lets you exceed 10GB if you pay for it) are an out and out
    con. When I was using jetstart with IHUG they let me have 10GB for $35 but
    20GB would have cost $1035, WTF! If it really cost anywhere near 10c per
    MB then they could not offer 10GB for $35 without going broke in the first
    month. Telecom is worse on their full speed ADSL charging 20c per MB
    (that's $200 per GB), a case of the monopoly doing extreme price gouging?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Oct 31, 2004
  17. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Geronimo Guest

    On 31 Oct 2004 02:47:18 -0800, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    wrote:

    >Hmmm <> wrote in message news:<41832294_2@127.0.0.1>...
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> > Copy of an email I just sent to <>:
    >> >
    >> > The subject says it all. It's consistently the WORST USENET service I've

    >Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    There are NO decent newsfeeds here in NZ, FACT.

    If you need a decent one you have to pay for it and it seems they are all in
    the US, so get your credit card ready.

    Easynews is one of the better one and you can use Leechguy to dnload the
    binaries directly, fully decoded and with out using there crappy binary
    dnloader..

    Leechguy supports 3 ISP's that have direct Binary dnloads, from memory.

    http://member.newsguy.com/~leechguy/

    Geronimo, Oct 31, 2004
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:52:12 +1300, wogers nemesis <> wrote:

    >On 31 Oct 2004 02:40:08 -0800, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    >> To begin with please note who I am posting this through- that's right:
    >> GOOGLE! Cause I can't even freakin' download any articles from Orcon's
    >> freakin' crap server!!!

    >I have to agree 100% with you. It has gone to the dogs. I mean all I want
    >to actually work is nz.comp.
    >
    >The reality is though that they are only trying to please all 10 customers
    >who actually use newsgroups (I mean if the helldesk guy doesn't know what
    >usenet is then there is no hope for joe average).
    >
    >Of course if the ISPs could sort out some peering arrangements..
    >
    >I'll be lucky if anyone sees this post at all.

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    >---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    If you are only after nz.comp that go to one of the many free ones, not all
    allow posting though.

    Geronimo, Oct 31, 2004
  19. Jamie Kahn Genet

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 02:09:22 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    > On 31 Oct 2004 02:47:18 -0800, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hmmm <> wrote in message news:<41832294_2@127.0.0.1>...

    >>Regards,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > There are NO decent newsfeeds here in NZ, FACT.

    The Xtra one (*shudder*) has never let me down, although I am not a
    hard-core news:// junkie.

    -[Myth]-, Oct 31, 2004
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:16:06 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > wogers nemesis <> wrote in
    >
    >> The reality is though that they are only trying to please all 10
    >> customers who actually use newsgroups (I mean if the helldesk guy
    >> doesn't know what usenet is then there is no hope for joe average).

    > snip

    > con. When I was using jetstart with IHUG they let me have 10GB for $35 but
    > 20GB would have cost $1035, WTF! If it really cost anywhere near 10c per
    > MB then they could not offer 10GB for $35 without going broke in the first

    10c is ridiculous, but don't they need to have some sort of idea of how
    much bandwith is used so they can purchase in advance (not sticking up for
    ISPs, i don't know how this all works)

    -[Myth]-, Oct 31, 2004