    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore ()
    Orcon Internet

    Craig Whitmore, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Craig Whitmore

    EMB Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider we
    > are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please email me
    > directly and I can give you details of the new service we are testing.

    It wouldn't be Giganews would it?

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 1, 2004

  3. EMB said the following on 2/12/2004 10:01 a.m.:
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there.
    >>
    >> For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider
    >> we are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please
    >> email me directly and I can give you details of the new service we are
    >> testing.

    > It wouldn't be Giganews would it?

    Hanging out in nz.test are we ;-) that might get you nominated for
    "Village Idiot" if you dont watch out

    :cool:

    Collector»NZ, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Craig Whitmore

    Ferg Guest

    Well so far I have got more out of the new service that I have been able to
    get over the last week. Good first experience!

    Ferg

    Ferg, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Ferg said the following on 2/12/2004 12:17 p.m.:
    > Well so far I have got more out of the new service that I have been able to
    > get over the last week. Good first experience!
    >
    > Ferg
    >
    > "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi there.
    >>
    >>For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider we
    >>are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please email me
    >>directly and I can give you details of the new service we are testing.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Craig Whitmore ()
    >>Orcon Internet

    Its asking me for a user/pass dam it. It seemed to start downloading
    group list the first time, but didnt play nice the second time.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Craig Whitmore

    Blister-pak Guest

    Collector»NZ said the following on 2/12/2004 12:23 p.m.:
    > Ferg said the following on 2/12/2004 12:17 p.m.:
    >
    >> Well so far I have got more out of the new service that I have been
    >> able to get over the last week. Good first experience!
    >>
    >> Ferg
    >>
    >> "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi there.
    >>>
    >>> For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative
    >>> provider we are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you
    >>> please email me directly and I can give you details of the new
    >>> service we are testing.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Craig Whitmore ()
    >>> Orcon Internet
    >>>

    > Its asking me for a user/pass dam it. It seemed to start downloading
    > group list the first time, but didnt play nice the second time.

    Fixed and working, will compare to NIN and Newsfeeds latter

    Blister-pak, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Craig Whitmore

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:25:47 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider we
    > are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please email me
    > directly and I can give you details of the new service we are testing.

    Seems to be working well so far. Faster already.

    --

    .... Brendan

    And now....you are going to dance...like you've never danced before!

    Note: All my comments are copyright 2/12/2004 5:58:27 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Craig Whitmore

    Richard Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider we
    > are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please email me
    > directly and I can give you details of the new service we are testing.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore ()
    > Orcon Internet

    Working well, whole threads in the NZ groups are there, and its not refusing
    connections for a few mins at a time every 10 mins or so

    Richard, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Craig Whitmore

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:50:24 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Working well, whole threads in the NZ groups are there, and its not refusing
    > connections for a few mins at a time every 10 mins or so

    same here, seems good. And fast.

    --

    .... Brendan

    The Internet is a disease vector for mental illness.
    - Gordon Shumway

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 12:11:51 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 2, 2004
  10. Craig Whitmore <> wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider we
    > are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please email me
    > directly and I can give you details of the new service we are testing.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore ()
    > Orcon Internet

    Oh please, please, please, can I try it out? May I ask who you've gone
    with?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 2, 2004
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > Craig Whitmore <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there.
    > >
    > > For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider we
    > > are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please email me
    > > directly and I can give you details of the new service we are testing.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Craig Whitmore ()
    > > Orcon Internet

    > Oh please, please, please, can I try it out? May I ask who you've gone
    > with?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    So from looking at the headers of other's I'm assuming Giganews is the
    new provider? In which case - hooray! At least this time it's a provider
    with a respectable record <http://www.newsgroupservers.net/#NNTP>.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 2, 2004
  12. Quick comparison between the two Orcon news feeds. I was going to do
    some more tests last night but I completely forgot about it.

    Giganews -

    ALL GROUPS

    Articles 480860777 across 81003 groups, mean size: 5936, largest 16172939

    NZ.* GROUPS ONLY

    Articles 495112 across 42 groups, mean size: 11788, largest 218283

    Newsfeeds -

    ALL GROUPS

    Articles 232160383 across 120468 groups, mean size: 1927, largest 2177669

    NZ.* GROUPS ONLY

    Articles 94606 across 60 groups, mean size: 1576, largest 51429

    NOTE: As usual, the statistics do not include groups with zero or one
    message due to severs (DNews) listing a single dummy message for the
    purpose of caching groups when first read.

    The difference in the number of nz. groups is a little concerning, I
    will need to double check the code as I just added it this morning.
    Assuming it is right however, you can see that newsfeeds.com has much
    smaller groups than Giganews.

    The group lists are available for those who are interested -

    http://latent.orcon.net.nz/Giganews_news_20041203.txt
    http://latent.orcon.net.nz/Newsfeeds_news_20041203.txt

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 2, 2004
  13. The Other Guy wrote:
    > The difference in the number of nz. groups is a little concerning, I
    > will need to double check the code as I just added it this morning.
    > Assuming it is right however, you can see that newsfeeds.com has much
    > smaller groups than Giganews.

    I have now confirmed that Newsfeeds does have 60 nz.* groups. This
    includes some unofficial groups.

    Also, I forgot to mention the group lists are UNSORTED. News servers
    often send group details in the order the groups were created rather
    than alphabetically, so if you're looking for your favoruite group,
    you'll need to do a search.

    If anyone wants specific information on article counts for their
    favourite group(s), post details here and I'll get back to you.

    TOG

    The Other Guy, Dec 2, 2004
  14. Brendan wrote:
    >>Working well, whole threads in the NZ groups are there, and its not refusing
    >>connections for a few mins at a time every 10 mins or so

    > same here, seems good. And fast.

    yeah but wait until the other 4 users jump on :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 2, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 2, 2004
  16. Blister-pak <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Collector»NZ said the following on 2/12/2004 12:23 p.m.:
    > > Ferg said the following on 2/12/2004 12:17 p.m.:
    > >
    > >> Well so far I have got more out of the new service that I have been
    > >> able to get over the last week. Good first experience!
    > >>
    > >> Ferg
    > >>
    > >> "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    > > Its asking me for a user/pass dam it. It seemed to start downloading
    > > group list the first time, but didnt play nice the second time.
    > >

    > Fixed and working, will compare to NIN and Newsfeeds latter

    No it is not fixed. I just switched and it is asking me for a
    user/pass (9:30 AM Friday 3rd December) :-( Dammit. WTF do I put in
    there? Or is it just a bug that no user/pass is correct for?

    *huge sigh* back to horrible Google Groups.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 2, 2004
  17. Craig Whitmore

    Steve Guest

    > Hi there.
    >
    > For those using Orcon's usenet server, we have an alternative provider we
    > are testing. (To replace the existing service). Can you please email me
    > directly and I can give you details of the new service we are testing.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore ()
    > Orcon Internet

    Seems to be great. I can finally do a sync in OE without any errors :)

    Cheers.

    Steve, Dec 2, 2004
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet said the following on 3/12/2004 9:38 a.m.:
    > Blister-pak <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Collector»NZ said the following on 2/12/2004 12:23 p.m.:

    >>>Its asking me for a user/pass dam it. It seemed to start downloading
    >>>group list the first time, but didnt play nice the second time.
    >>>

    >>Fixed and working, will compare to NIN and Newsfeeds latter

    > No it is not fixed. I just switched and it is asking me for a
    > user/pass (9:30 AM Friday 3rd December) :-( Dammit. WTF do I put in
    > there? Or is it just a bug that no user/pass is correct for?
    >
    > *huge sigh* back to horrible Google Groups.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Email Craig (address at top) he will make sure your IP block is in the
    accept list.
    I feel sorry for Craig, the IP accept lists must be getting horendous
    with the amount of new blocks they are adding.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 2, 2004
  19. Craig Whitmore

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:24:32 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> same here, seems good. And fast.

    > yeah but wait until the other 4 users jump on :)

    lol :)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Television is a device that permits people who haven't anything to do to watch people who can't do anything." -- Fred Allen

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 2:36:47 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 3, 2004
  20. Brendan wrote:
    >>>same here, seems good. And fast.

    >>yeah but wait until the other 4 users jump on :)

    > lol :)

    it was probably a bit tongue in cheek, but ummm, it would be interesting
    to see how many accounts access news.individual.net from Orcon IPs... Im
    sure that they could email them and ask.

    It'd give a better idea as to the number of users.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 3, 2004