    Gone down again at about 3 pm.

    Is this just me, or is the problem more wide spread ?

    --

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Chris Mayhew

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Chris Mayhew

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:06:15 +1300, DoggNZ
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:33:40 +1300, Chris Mayhew
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Gone down again at about 3 pm.
    >>
    >>Is this just me, or is the problem more wide spread ?

    SYSTEM STATUS
    Bitstream service has been down since 2:55pm due to an equipment
    failure. This will be resolved as soon as possible. No ETA at present.
    UPDATE - 5PM: Technicians are working with Juniper Support to resolve
    the problem. Unfortunately there is no firm ETA at present.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:06:15 +1300, DoggNZ
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:33:40 +1300, Chris Mayhew
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Gone down again at about 3 pm.
    >>>
    >>>Is this just me, or is the problem more wide spread ?

    > SYSTEM STATUS
    > Bitstream service has been down since 2:55pm due to an equipment
    > failure. This will be resolved as soon as possible. No ETA at present.
    > UPDATE - 5PM: Technicians are working with Juniper Support to resolve
    > the problem. Unfortunately there is no firm ETA at present.
    >
    > --
    > BOINC SETI
    > http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    I have to confess, I never looked at their status page as I have never
    seen any updated information there. It's always been more of a "history
    page"

    Thanks for pointing this out.

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 14, 2005
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > DoggNZ wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:06:15 +1300, DoggNZ
    >> <> wrote:

    >> SYSTEM STATUS Bitstream service has been down since 2:55pm due to an
    >> equipment
    >> failure. This will be resolved as soon as possible. No ETA at present.
    >> UPDATE - 5PM: Technicians are working with Juniper Support to resolve
    >> the problem. Unfortunately there is no firm ETA at present.
    >>
    >> --
    >> BOINC SETI
    >> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    > I have to confess, I never looked at their status page as I have never
    > seen any updated information there. It's always been more of a "history
    > page"
    >
    > Thanks for pointing this out.

    UPDATE - 6:30PM: Fault should be cleared in 30 minutes.

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 14, 2005
  6. Chris Mayhew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:06:15 +1300, DoggNZ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:33:40 +1300, Chris Mayhew
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gone down again at about 3 pm.
    >>>
    >>> Is this just me, or is the problem more wide spread ?

    > SYSTEM STATUS
    > Bitstream service has been down since 2:55pm due to an equipment
    > failure. This will be resolved as soon as possible. No ETA at present.
    > UPDATE - 5PM: Technicians are working with Juniper Support to resolve
    > the problem. Unfortunately there is no firm ETA at present.

    Yeah. Shit! Twice a week I meet up with seven friends from the west coast of
    the USA to play Diablo 2, Lord of Destruction on-line. We play as a team,
    coperatively. It requires all members to be present. We play Monday and
    Thursday at 2:30pm NZ time (Sunday and Wednesday 8:30pm US West-coast time),
    usually for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Today we just got started and..........
    Nothing. No connection. I'm really pissed off with this big-talking bunch of
    half-arsed cowboys at Orcon now. Options are being explored. My fiancee
    can't even access NIN through Orcon now (although I can) yet alone "Orcon's"
    news providor. (OE kindly cancelled her subscriptions to the groups she
    wanted as they don't exist on the news server news.orcon.net points to now).
    She had no problems yesterday with NIN.

    I mean, an equipment failure or two, a problem with sub-contractors once in
    a blue moon, these things are acceptable. However, Orcon's performance
    recently has been reminiscant of a Laurel and Hardy script. From the sublime
    to the ridiculous. They've been promising a reasonable quality news service
    for over a year now. How fucking inept do you have to be to still not have
    it sussed 12 months down the track? I mean, you could set up your own
    serever in a week or negotiate a deal with a reputable 3rd party and have
    traffic diverted within a day. 12 months? Give me a break! If they didn't
    care about newsgroups then why did Seeby post here late last year assuring
    us it was all going to be sussed soon? Do I have to spell it out? I thought
    him a man of integrity and honour. I subscribed to Orcon on the basis of his
    assurances that they'd have a good newservice up and running soon.

    Nov 18th, 2004, nz.comp:
    "Hi there Guys

    We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
    stuff.

    Newsfeeds.com has been a dissapointing experience - we were hoping
    that we were going to be able to provide a great customer experience
    without having to maintain our own news server, but newsfeeds is
    essentially hopeless.

    Cheers
    Seeby"

    I signed up around this time, expecting a good news service. Is a public
    announcement by an MD considered binding under NZ law? They're still not
    "over this UBS stuff" and the newsfeed is...... Well, is there one?

    From nz.comp Aug 24 2004

    "Hi there everyone

    We are hopefully upgrading our news server tomorrow morning.
    Instead of combining various NZ newsfeeds, we have outsourced to a US
    provider as it works our cheaper, with less hastle for us, and
    hopefully the serivce will be much better

    Cheers
    Seeby

    MD Orcon Internet"

    Then this little exchange between Seeby and I from June 3rd 2004:

    "Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > The news server changover should be happening in the next week or so -
    > it has been delayed a few days.

    > It would be more economical to run if we had more than 25 users that
    > use the news server out of 30,000 or so

    > :)

    Hi Seeby, good to see you posting here again.

    I currently use Xtra for my ISP and Orcon for my email. If you can post back
    when your news server is all up and running them you'll be able to make that
    26 users once I give Xtra the boot. I think you'll find that if you provide
    a good news server (and advertise the fact, even if it's just here) then
    they will come. <g>. While Xtra have a (reasonably) good news server they
    don't 'support' it. I've had to set up friends machines as Xtra's party line
    is the helpdesk will tell you the server is at news.xtra.co.nz but that's
    it. No help in setting up clients or anything. They just say they don't
    support news groups, they don't mention them in their advertising, webpage
    or contracts (As far as I can ascertain). With that sort of attitude it's no
    surprise that usenet isn't more popular in NZ. "Joe Average" only gets to
    hear about usenet if someone he knows uses it.

    Actually, just a thought, is there any way I can peruse a list of what
    groups you carry? I'd like to be sure that you have 'my' groups before I
    boot Xtra. They've been good over the years and actually started carrying
    groups that I've requested that they didn't carry before.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~ "

    "The Other Guy" kindly sent me a link to a list of the newsgroups Orcon
    carried at the time in the same thread and it was then that I started saving
    in readiness to change over to Orcon ADSL. All the groups I was interested
    in were on the list.

    I'm usually a tolerant and patient person (no, really) but this has gone too
    far. I'm not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination and had to undergo
    a bit of hardship to get my ADSL connection with Orcon (when Xtra was
    offering free connection, free modem etc.). I spent hundreds of dollars I
    could ill-afford on the strength of my faith in Seeby's honour. Misplaced
    faith it seems. My connection has been virtually unusable for the purposes I
    wanted it for, primarilly on-line gaming and newsreading.

    I'm thinking about a letter to the editor of NZ PC World. Their service is
    crap, they admit they don't have the bandwidth and yet they're still
    advertising for new users on their web site.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2005
  7. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > How fucking inept do you have to be to still not have
    > it sussed 12 months down the track?

    heh, ihug did it a few years back.

    > Nov 18th, 2004, nz.comp:
    > "Hi there Guys
    > We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
    > stuff.

    Just a question... is the UBS stuff sorted? doesnt seem like it, so news
    comes after that, which was the info he gave.

    > I'm thinking about a letter to the editor of NZ PC World. Their service is
    > crap, they admit they don't have the bandwidth and yet they're still
    > advertising for new users on their web site.

    just like every other provider then...

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> I have to confess, I never looked at their status page as I have never
    >> seen any updated information there. It's always been more of a
    >> "history page"
    >>
    >> Thanks for pointing this out.
    >>

    > UPDATE - 6:30PM: Fault should be cleared in 30 minutes.

    It started working for me at 18.20, for a short time then again at
    18.52, so I guess they were right. At least they are keeping their
    status page up to date (not that I could see it:)

    -=rjh=-, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Chris Mayhew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> How fucking inept do you have to be to still not have
    >> it sussed 12 months down the track?

    > heh, ihug did it a few years back.
    >
    >> Nov 18th, 2004, nz.comp:
    >> "Hi there Guys
    >> We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
    >> stuff.

    > Just a question... is the UBS stuff sorted? doesnt seem like it, so
    > news comes after that, which was the info he gave.

    No, UBS certainly isn't sorted. In fact it's got far worse than it was at
    the time Seeby posted that. *far* worse. They say (over and over again) that
    it's Telecom's fault. Ok, throw us a frickin' bone and at least give us a
    decent news service to keep us entertained while we wait on Telecom, until I
    can go back to not having to rely on cooperative gameplay to stay alive,
    someone to watch my back as the game freezes for up to 10 seconds at a time.
    Or are they going to say that the news server is Telecom's fault as well? If
    all they're doing is waiting on Telecom then they have plenty of time to
    sort news.

    Incidently, OE kindly automatically unsubscribed my finace from all the
    groups that couldn't be found on news.orcon.net.nz, deleting all her unread
    messages.

    >> I'm thinking about a letter to the editor of NZ PC World. Their
    >> service is crap, they admit they don't have the bandwidth and yet
    >> they're still advertising for new users on their web site.

    > just like every other provider then...

    And that makes it right? I (wrongly) thought Orcon were different to every
    other providor.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2005
  10. Chris Mayhew

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:58:10 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >I'm thinking about a letter to the editor of NZ PC World. Their service is
    >crap, they admit they don't have the bandwidth and yet they're still
    >advertising for new users on their web site.

    You have to worry about the MD of a company who spells hassle
    "hastle".

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 14, 2005
  11. Chris Mayhew

    Mutley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> How fucking inept do you have to be to still not have
    >>> it sussed 12 months down the track?

    >> heh, ihug did it a few years back.
    >>
    >>> Nov 18th, 2004, nz.comp:
    >>> "Hi there Guys
    >>> We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
    >>> stuff.

    >> Just a question... is the UBS stuff sorted? doesnt seem like it, so
    >> news comes after that, which was the info he gave.

    >No, UBS certainly isn't sorted. In fact it's got far worse than it was at
    >the time Seeby posted that. *far* worse. They say (over and over again) that
    >it's Telecom's fault. Ok, throw us a frickin' bone and at least give us a
    >decent news service to keep us entertained while we wait on Telecom, until I
    >can go back to not having to rely on cooperative gameplay to stay alive,
    >someone to watch my back as the game freezes for up to 10 seconds at a time.
    >Or are they going to say that the news server is Telecom's fault as well? If
    >all they're doing is waiting on Telecom then they have plenty of time to
    >sort news.
    >
    >Incidently, OE kindly automatically unsubscribed my finace from all the
    >groups that couldn't be found on news.orcon.net.nz, deleting all her unread
    >messages.

    If I were you I would ditch OE as a news reader and get real one like
    Agent or FreeAgent. That won't unsubscribe news groups..

    http://www.forteinc.com/

    Mutley, Feb 15, 2005
  12. Chris Mayhew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:58:10 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> I'm thinking about a letter to the editor of NZ PC World. Their
    >> service is crap, they admit they don't have the bandwidth and yet
    >> they're still advertising for new users on their web site.

    > You have to worry about the MD of a company who spells hassle
    > "hastle".

    I noticed that.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 15, 2005
  13. Chris Mayhew

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:56:12 +1300, Mutley wrote:

    > If I were you I would ditch OE as a news reader and get real one like
    > Agent or FreeAgent. That won't unsubscribe news groups..
    >
    > http://www.forteinc.com/

    Dialog is an agent clone which is free, and superior in every way.

    40tude Dialog. Google it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 nuclear powered pansexual
    roto-plooker....and you're gonna have to pay for it.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 15/02/2005 2:39:30 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 15, 2005
  14. Chris Mayhew

    Mutley Guest

    Brendan <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:56:12 +1300, Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> If I were you I would ditch OE as a news reader and get real one like
    >> Agent or FreeAgent. That won't unsubscribe news groups..
    >>
    >> http://www.forteinc.com/

    >Dialog is an agent clone which is free, and superior in every way.
    >
    >40tude Dialog. Google it.

    Thanx . Will try it my self..

    Mutley, Feb 15, 2005
  15. Chris Mayhew

    Noel Leon Guest

    On , , Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:06:53 +1300, Re: Orcon UBS, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> How fucking inept do you have to be to still not have
    >>> it sussed 12 months down the track?

    >> heh, ihug did it a few years back.
    >>
    >>> Nov 18th, 2004, nz.comp:
    >>> "Hi there Guys
    >>> We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
    >>> stuff.

    >> Just a question... is the UBS stuff sorted? doesnt seem like it, so
    >> news comes after that, which was the info he gave.

    >No, UBS certainly isn't sorted. In fact it's got far worse than it was at
    >the time Seeby posted that. *far* worse. They say (over and over again) that
    >it's Telecom's fault. Ok, throw us a frickin' bone and at least give us a
    >decent news service to keep us entertained while we wait on Telecom, until I
    >can go back to not having to rely on cooperative gameplay to stay alive,
    >someone to watch my back as the game freezes for up to 10 seconds at a time.

    Why are you bleating about games? Only bloody kiddies play games,
    get some bloody perspective. It isn't anything important like
    emails.
    I think it is a damn outrage that space is wasted on infantile
    things like games or music piracy. Leeches like you and the other
    thieves should be ashamed of yourselves.

    Noel Leon, Feb 16, 2005
  16. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Noel Leon wrote:
    > On , , Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:06:53 +1300, Re: Orcon UBS, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>heh, ihug did it a few years back.

    >>>Just a question... is the UBS stuff sorted? doesnt seem like it, so
    >>>news comes after that, which was the info he gave.

    >>No, UBS certainly isn't sorted. In fact it's got far worse than it was at
    >>the time Seeby posted that. *far* worse. They say (over and over again) that
    >>it's Telecom's fault. Ok, throw us a frickin' bone and at least give us a
    >>decent news service to keep us entertained while we wait on Telecom, until I
    >>can go back to not having to rely on cooperative gameplay to stay alive,
    >>someone to watch my back as the game freezes for up to 10 seconds at a time.

    > Why are you bleating about games? Only bloody kiddies play games,
    > get some bloody perspective. It isn't anything important like
    > emails.
    > I think it is a damn outrage that space is wasted on infantile
    > things like games or music piracy. Leeches like you and the other
    > thieves should be ashamed of yourselves.

    You seem happy enough slagging of about other people's use of their
    broadband connection. Pray tell, what do *you* use your connection for?

    -=rjh=-, Feb 16, 2005
  17. On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:55:58 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Noel Leon wrote:
    >> On , , Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:06:53 +1300, Re: Orcon UBS, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>No, UBS certainly isn't sorted. In fact it's got far worse than it was at
    >>>the time Seeby posted that. *far* worse. They say (over and over again) that
    >>>it's Telecom's fault. Ok, throw us a frickin' bone and at least give us a
    >>>decent news service to keep us entertained while we wait on Telecom, until I
    >>>can go back to not having to rely on cooperative gameplay to stay alive,
    >>>someone to watch my back as the game freezes for up to 10 seconds at a time.

    >> Why are you bleating about games? Only bloody kiddies play games,
    >> get some bloody perspective. It isn't anything important like
    >> emails.
    >> I think it is a damn outrage that space is wasted on infantile
    >> things like games or music piracy. Leeches like you and the other
    >> thieves should be ashamed of yourselves.

    > You seem happy enough slagging of about other people's use of their
    > broadband connection. Pray tell, what do *you* use your connection for?

    he uses it for slagging off people on usenet.. which isnt infantile at
    all..

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 16, 2005
  18. Noel Leon wrote:
    > Why are you bleating about games? Only bloody kiddies play games,
    > get some bloody perspective. It isn't anything important like
    > emails.

    heh, posting on usenet about how unimportant games are.... riiight.

    go beat yourself with the clue stick

    shouldn't you be back at school by now?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 16, 2005
  19. Chris Mayhew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Noel Leon wrote:
    >> On , , Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:06:53 +1300, Re: Orcon UBS, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> No, UBS certainly isn't sorted. In fact it's got far worse than it
    >>> was at the time Seeby posted that. *far* worse. They say (over and
    >>> over again) that it's Telecom's fault. Ok, throw us a frickin' bone
    >>> and at least give us a decent news service to keep us entertained
    >>> while we wait on Telecom, until I can go back to not having to rely
    >>> on cooperative gameplay to stay alive, someone to watch my back as
    >>> the game freezes for up to 10 seconds at a time.

    >> Why are you bleating about games? Only bloody kiddies play games,
    >> get some bloody perspective. It isn't anything important like
    >> emails.
    >> I think it is a damn outrage that space is wasted on infantile
    >> things like games or music piracy. Leeches like you and the other
    >> thieves should be ashamed of yourselves.

    Damn! You really are a shit-for-brains idiot aren't you? No need to answer,
    it's obvious.

    Do you watch Television? I don't. I much prefer playing strategy games that
    actually involve thinking and action on my part rather than sitting there
    passively being spoon-fed whatever the TV companies want you to see. It
    keeps my brain agile. However I can see that breathing is probably about all
    your brain can handle.

    BTW, what inspired you to make the quantum leap from my admission that I
    play on-line games to assuming (and making false accusations) that I'm a
    music-pirate? You call me a thief, yet I don't download music. Too much
    TV-watching has softened whatever remains of your grey matter. I'm 43 years
    old, not some pimply-faced teenager downloading pop music. You really are a
    bad judge of character aren't you.

    of us equiped to participate in them.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  20. Chris Mayhew

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:22:42 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Noel Leon wrote:
    >> Why are you bleating about games? Only bloody kiddies play games,
    >> get some bloody perspective. It isn't anything important like
    >> emails.

    > heh, posting on usenet about how unimportant games are.... riiight.
    >
    > go beat yourself with the clue stick
    >
    > shouldn't you be back at school by now?

    Weren't you the very one telling me to ignore that fuckwit just a few days
    ago ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Stupidity has a certain charm -- ignorance does not." -- Frank Zappa

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/02/2005 12:49:14 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 16, 2005