    --

    .... Brendan

    "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -- Chekhov

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 1:10:46 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Brendan

    Z Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
    >
    > 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
    >
    > 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
    >
    > So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
    >
    > Anyone else getting the same ?

    Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
    interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
    outgoing port :) so using known p2p default ports is just silly.

    I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
    you getting the big green light? :) and lots of remote connections? :)

    using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
    torrents can just be slow sometimes.

    However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
    however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
    ports.

    Z, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Brendan

    Z Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
    >>
    >> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
    >>
    >> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
    >>
    >> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
    >>
    >> Anyone else getting the same ?
    >>

    > Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
    > interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
    > outgoing port :) so using known p2p default ports is just silly.
    >
    > I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
    > you getting the big green light? :) and lots of remote connections? :)
    >
    > using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
    > torrents can just be slow sometimes.
    >
    > However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
    > however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
    > ports.

    When I say outgoing port, I mean destination port, just incase there was
    any confusion.

    Z, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Brendan

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:37:34 +1300, Z <> wrote:

    >Z wrote:
    >> Brendan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
    >>>
    >>> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
    >>>
    >>> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
    >>>
    >>> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else getting the same ?
    >>>

    >> Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
    >> interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
    >> outgoing port :) so using known p2p default ports is just silly.
    >>
    >> I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
    >> you getting the big green light? :) and lots of remote connections? :)
    >>
    >> using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
    >> torrents can just be slow sometimes.
    >>
    >> However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
    >> however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
    >> ports.

    >When I say outgoing port, I mean destination port, just incase there was
    >any confusion.

    My edonkey hasn't been too quick of late, but I'm on jetstream still
    (moving soon, don't want to pay $99 setup for 2 months use).

    I've always used port 21, the ftp port. For a failsafe test you could
    try port 80, the webpages one. Do 80 temporarily though or it will
    slow down any web browsing you try to do at the same time. Easy
    enough to change these in the options.

    Mr Bond, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:33:57 +1300, Z wrote:

    > Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
    > interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
    > outgoing port :) so using known p2p default ports is just silly.

    Umm, might try changing them. Was as good as gold until I went to ubs.

    > I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
    > you getting the big green light? :) and lots of remote connections? :)

    Yes.

    > using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
    > torrents can just be slow sometimes.

    I tried a wide variety.

    > However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
    > however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
    > ports.

    Haven't had one that fast since ubs, and I've tried a few.

    I'll change the ports for emule.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -- Will Rogers

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 4:00:45 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Brendan

    Richard Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
    >
    > 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
    >
    > 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
    >
    > So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
    >
    > Anyone else getting the same ?

    Nope, mine are quick as, a well seeded one from tvtorrents will give me 32 no
    worries.

    Change your port however. I had to do that because one of the trackers I was on
    insisted due to ratelimiting being common on the p2p ports

    Richard, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:53:02 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Nope, mine are quick as, a well seeded one from tvtorrents will give me 32 no
    > worries.

    Was getting 150 (semi often) for the week i had the 2mbit....

    > Change your port however. I had to do that because one of the trackers I was on
    > insisted due to ratelimiting being common on the p2p ports

    How do you change the port on a torrent ? I'm using abc for the client.
    Didn't notice any port settings... maybe I'm blind.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "You could put every article of clothing that I am wearing into a hat, and
    still comfortably wear the hat."
    - Friday Jones

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 7:13:50 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:48:51 +1300, Mr Bond wrote:

    >>When I say outgoing port, I mean destination port, just incase there was
    >>any confusion.

    > My edonkey hasn't been too quick of late, but I'm on jetstream still
    > (moving soon, don't want to pay $99 setup for 2 months use).
    >
    > I've always used port 21, the ftp port. For a failsafe test you could
    > try port 80, the webpages one. Do 80 temporarily though or it will
    > slow down any web browsing you try to do at the same time. Easy
    > enough to change these in the options.

    I've changed the ports and it seems to be going a lot better now.
    Considering ubs is a wholesale product I suspect Orcon of traffic shaping.

    Now, considering the balls up UBS has been in many ways and the
    unreasonable restrictions Telecom impose on the telecom<->orcon connection,
    traffic shaping may be in order until the leecher/browser ratio improves.
    Notification would be nice.

    Much as I detest THAT. But the shaping should be based on priority - e.g
    ftp/p2p should be a lower priority than core facilities like web and email.
    E.g. p2p gets everything not needed by web/email.

    And then only for the short term. Or it'll be back to telecom and 2mbit.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Life is a joke. Death is the punchline.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 7:05:44 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004
  9. Brendan

    Jax Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
    >>
    >> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
    >>
    >> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
    >>
    >> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
    >>
    >> Anyone else getting the same ?

    > Nope, mine are quick as, a well seeded one from tvtorrents will give me
    > 32 no worries.

    you got a URL for tvtorrent?

    Jax, Nov 23, 2004
  10. Brendan

    Mutlley Guest

    Brendan <> wrote:

    >Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
    >
    >1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
    >
    >2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
    >
    >So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
    >
    >Anyone else getting the same ?

    Now that you mention it. Bittorrent is very slow down . About max
    2.5KB but upload seems at about 16KB. BT has always seemed this slow
    so I thought that was the norm.. Normal news group stuff 32KB

    Mutlley, Nov 23, 2004
  11. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:30:27 +1300, Mutlley wrote:

    > Now that you mention it. Bittorrent is very slow down . About max
    > 2.5KB but upload seems at about 16KB. BT has always seemed this slow
    > so I thought that was the norm.. Normal news group stuff 32KB

    I *was* getting the full 32k/sec, and it went as high as 150 to 200 while I
    was on the 2mbit....

    Now I get anything up to about 8kb/sec on bit torrent.

    The good news is that since changing the ports on emule I am getting 20 to
    30 k/s after I wait to move up the que for the files. (emule/edonkey run a
    que system so patience is a virtue).

    --

    .... Brendan

    If it has syntax, it isn't user friendly.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 24/11/2004 11:38:41 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 23, 2004
  12. Brendan

    Mutlley Guest