Orcon UBS Slowdown (and no, I'm not foaming at the mouth, Mr Collector)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    FYI Orcon support told me this afternoon they they are having quite a
    few reports from all round the place of slow speeds - down to dial up
    speeds on the UBS service. They are "looking into it" and "hope to have
    it fixed by Monday or Tuesday at the latest"

    I've had a 10 fold increase in latency getting into Orcon from about
    63ms to 630ms on average and downloading files at 4 - 5 KB/sec

    Speed test at http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ tells me my bandwidth
    is 73.4 kbps - it seems to be dropping by the hour - an hour ago it was
    80, at midday it was 96.

    All of this suddenly happened last night. Yesterday evening seemed to
    be working fine, maybe even slightly better than Jetsurf.

    Well, it looks like I spoke to soon, cause I'm now on dial up - and
    it's faster !!!! LOL

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Chris Mayhew

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:53:52 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > FYI Orcon support told me this afternoon they they are having quite a
    > few reports from all round the place of slow speeds - down to dial up
    > speeds on the UBS service. They are "looking into it" and "hope to have
    > it fixed by Monday or Tuesday at the latest"
    >
    > I've had a 10 fold increase in latency getting into Orcon from about
    > 63ms to 630ms on average and downloading files at 4 - 5 KB/sec
    >
    > Speed test at http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ tells me my bandwidth
    > is 73.4 kbps - it seems to be dropping by the hour - an hour ago it was
    > 80, at midday it was 96.
    >
    > All of this suddenly happened last night. Yesterday evening seemed to
    > be working fine, maybe even slightly better than Jetsurf.
    >
    > Well, it looks like I spoke to soon, cause I'm now on dial up - and
    > it's faster !!!! LOL
    >

    > --

    Ok, I get the idea. Orcon are having problems. Other people are having
    problems too. Orcon are doing their best, they don't *want* to loose
    customers (or maybe they do...) so leave them alone until this settles
    down.

    -[Myth]-, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Chris Mayhew

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:08:05 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:53:52 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> FYI Orcon support told me this afternoon they they are having quite a
    >> few reports from all round the place of slow speeds - down to dial up
    >> speeds on the UBS service. They are "looking into it" and "hope to have
    >> it fixed by Monday or Tuesday at the latest"
    >>
    >> I've had a 10 fold increase in latency getting into Orcon from about
    >> 63ms to 630ms on average and downloading files at 4 - 5 KB/sec
    >>
    >> Speed test at http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ tells me my bandwidth
    >> is 73.4 kbps - it seems to be dropping by the hour - an hour ago it was
    >> 80, at midday it was 96.
    >>
    >> All of this suddenly happened last night. Yesterday evening seemed to
    >> be working fine, maybe even slightly better than Jetsurf.
    >>
    >> Well, it looks like I spoke to soon, cause I'm now on dial up - and
    >> it's faster !!!! LOL
    >>

    >> --

    > Ok, I get the idea. Orcon are having problems. Other people are having
    > problems too. Orcon are doing their best, they don't *want* to loose
    > customers (or maybe they do...) so leave them alone until this settles
    > down.

    I dont mean stop ringing them etc, i mean stop attacking them etc in here.

    -[Myth]-, Nov 13, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Re: Orcon UBS Slowdown (and no, I'm not foaming at the mouth, MrCollector)

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:08:05 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:53:52 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>

    >>>FYI Orcon support told me this afternoon they they are having quite a
    >>>few reports from all round the place of slow speeds - down to dial up
    >>>speeds on the UBS service. They are "looking into it" and "hope to have
    >>>it fixed by Monday or Tuesday at the latest"
    >>>
    >>>I've had a 10 fold increase in latency getting into Orcon from about
    >>>63ms to 630ms on average and downloading files at 4 - 5 KB/sec
    >>>
    >>>Speed test at http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ tells me my bandwidth
    >>>is 73.4 kbps - it seems to be dropping by the hour - an hour ago it was
    >>>80, at midday it was 96.
    >>>
    >>>All of this suddenly happened last night. Yesterday evening seemed to
    >>>be working fine, maybe even slightly better than Jetsurf.
    >>>
    >>>Well, it looks like I spoke to soon, cause I'm now on dial up - and
    >>>it's faster !!!! LOL
    >>>

    >>>--

    >>Ok, I get the idea. Orcon are having problems. Other people are having
    >>problems too. Orcon are doing their best, they don't *want* to loose
    >>customers (or maybe they do...) so leave them alone until this settles
    >>down.

    > I dont mean stop ringing them etc, i mean stop attacking them etc in here.

    I didn't realize I was attacking them. My purpose in making the post
    was to "report" information I had, which might be of use to someone else
    if they were having a problem - it would save them ringing Orcon if they
    felt they needed to find out what was wrong.

    If the problem is, that people can't get into Orcon, then the problem is
    most likely with Telecom i.e from my router through the Telecom network
    to Orcon. Pointing this out is hardly attacking Orcon, if anything, it
    high lights the way Telecom is screwing the ISP's

    Well, that was the way it was intended, how you take it is up to you,
    besides, who are you, to tell me what to do :)

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004
  5. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:

    > Ok, I get the idea. Orcon are having problems. Other people are having
    > problems too. Orcon are doing their best, they don't *want* to loose
    > customers (or maybe they do...) so leave them alone until this settles
    > down.

    As somebody who was supposedly switched over to UBS yesterday, I
    really appreciate hearing other people's experiences with it, whether
    they are good experiences or bad.

    BTW how do I tell if I'm on iUBS or the real thing?

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >

    >> Ok, I get the idea. Orcon are having problems. Other people are having
    >> problems too. Orcon are doing their best, they don't *want* to loose
    >> customers (or maybe they do...) so leave them alone until this settles
    >> down.

    > As somebody who was supposedly switched over to UBS yesterday, I really
    > appreciate hearing other people's experiences with it, whether they are
    > good experiences or bad.
    >
    > BTW how do I tell if I'm on iUBS or the real thing?
    >
    > cheers

    If you are on Orcon you can go to the "My Account" page, it will be
    listed under "services". While there check your IP address.

    Also, I found out, that people that were ment to be switched over on the
    10 & 11 were switched over on the 12th. When switching over there will
    be a 4 - 6 hour outage.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004
  7. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>

    >>> Ok, I get the idea. Orcon are having problems. Other people are having
    >>> problems too. Orcon are doing their best, they don't *want* to loose
    >>> customers (or maybe they do...) so leave them alone until this settles
    >>> down.

    >> As somebody who was supposedly switched over to UBS yesterday, I
    >> really appreciate hearing other people's experiences with it, whether
    >> they are good experiences or bad.
    >>
    >> BTW how do I tell if I'm on iUBS or the real thing?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>

    > If you are on Orcon you can go to the "My Account" page, it will be
    > listed under "services". While there check your IP address.
    >
    > Also, I found out, that people that were ment to be switched over on the
    > 10 & 11 were switched over on the 12th. When switching over there will
    > be a 4 - 6 hour outage.

    Not sure if that helps - the IP address (noted as *fixed*) seems to
    correspond to those given out to others on UBS earlier this month, but
    doesn't correspond to my current real IP address. I can't see any way to
    tell the difference between UBS and iUBS.

    I'm identified as being on BitStream, but am not experiencing any
    increase in speed and haven't noticed any significant outage.

    I suspect that the services page reflects what data Orcon have entered
    into the system rather than the actual status.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 13, 2004
  8. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:

    >>> As somebody who was supposedly switched over to UBS yesterday, I
    >>> really appreciate hearing other people's experiences with it, whether
    >>> they are good experiences or bad.
    >>>
    >>> BTW how do I tell if I'm on iUBS or the real thing?
    >>>
    >>> cheers
    >>>

    >> If you are on Orcon you can go to the "My Account" page, it will be
    >> listed under "services". While there check your IP address.
    >>
    >> Also, I found out, that people that were ment to be switched over on
    >> the 10 & 11 were switched over on the 12th. When switching over there
    >> will be a 4 - 6 hour outage.
    >>

    > Not sure if that helps - the IP address (noted as *fixed*) seems to
    > correspond to those given out to others on UBS earlier this month, but
    > doesn't correspond to my current real IP address. I can't see any way to
    > tell the difference between UBS and iUBS.
    >
    > I'm identified as being on BitStream, but am not experiencing any
    > increase in speed and haven't noticed any significant outage.
    >
    > I suspect that the services page reflects what data Orcon have entered
    > into the system rather than the actual status.

    My IP changed from 222.x.x.x. (IIRC) to 60.234.132.x When the change
    over started I lost all use of the old Jetsurf IP. I found I had a new
    IP when I went to the services page some 7 hours later, as that info
    wasn't included in the email they sent out advising of the log in
    changes. I sounds like you haven't been changed over, but Orcon have
    provided the updated info on the services page, expecting Telecom to do
    their part. I would say that everything is now running behind schedule,
    due to the Telecom delay mid week.

    My speed is now back up to 129kbps but the latency is very high - 600ms+
    to get to Orcon and, as a result, things are timing out - thats what I
    was meaning as an outage

    As far as the services page is concerned, i'd agree, except for the
    things you can set up your self, such as email addresses etc

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004
  9. Chris Mayhew

    Richard Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > FYI Orcon support told me this afternoon they they are having quite a
    > few reports from all round the place of slow speeds - down to dial up
    > speeds on the UBS service. They are "looking into it" and "hope to have
    > it fixed by Monday or Tuesday at the latest"
    >
    > I've had a 10 fold increase in latency getting into Orcon from about
    > 63ms to 630ms on average and downloading files at 4 - 5 KB/sec
    >
    > Speed test at http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ tells me my bandwidth
    > is 73.4 kbps - it seems to be dropping by the hour - an hour ago it was
    > 80, at midday it was 96.
    >
    > All of this suddenly happened last night. Yesterday evening seemed to
    > be working fine, maybe even slightly better than Jetsurf.
    >
    > Well, it looks like I spoke to soon, cause I'm now on dial up - and
    > it's faster !!!! LOL

    Just tried it now on my UBS orcon and got

    Your Internet Connection Speed is:

    28.9 kb/s

    236.2 kbps

    Authough my torrent of S4E06 of enterprise wont move :(

    Richard, Nov 13, 2004
  10. Chris Mayhew

    Richard wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> FYI Orcon support told me this afternoon they they are having quite a
    >> few reports from all round the place of slow speeds - down to dial up
    >> speeds on the UBS service. They are "looking into it" and "hope to have
    >> it fixed by Monday or Tuesday at the latest"
    >>
    >> I've had a 10 fold increase in latency getting into Orcon from about
    >> 63ms to 630ms on average and downloading files at 4 - 5 KB/sec
    >>
    >> Speed test at http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ tells me my bandwidth
    >> is 73.4 kbps - it seems to be dropping by the hour - an hour ago it was
    >> 80, at midday it was 96.
    >>
    >> All of this suddenly happened last night. Yesterday evening seemed to
    >> be working fine, maybe even slightly better than Jetsurf.
    >>
    >> Well, it looks like I spoke to soon, cause I'm now on dial up - and
    >> it's faster !!!! LOL

    > Just tried it now on my UBS orcon and got
    >
    > Your Internet Connection Speed is:
    >
    > 28.9 kb/s
    >
    > 236.2 kbps
    >
    > Authough my torrent of S4E06 of enterprise wont move :(

    I've been having the same experience. Have done some tracert's and
    found some packet loss but seems to be returning to normal

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004
  11. Chris Mayhew

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:34:13 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > My speed is now back up to 129kbps but the latency is very high - 600ms+
    > to get to Orcon and, as a result, things are timing out - thats what I
    > was meaning as an outage

    I am finding the exact same problem, and I believe most people are also.

    I find it totally disgusting, and am unsure of who to blame - Orcon or
    Telecom, though I suspect Telecom is the one. As always.

    I wonder if we should all gang together and make a combined complaint to
    the Commerce Commission.

    > As far as the services page is concerned, i'd agree, except for the
    > things you can set up your self, such as email addresses etc

    Orcon is not blameless however:

    1. There is no real excuse for the hour long + waits when on the phone to
    them. They should hire a few more help desk monkeys.

    2. There is even LESS excuse for the continued and now TYPICAL ignoring of
    email to them. It now seems that a lot of people are simply being ignored.

    The net result is no way to contact them.

    Regardless of wether it is Orcon or Telecom, I am now considering
    alternative ISP's and possibly going to Telecom's 2mbit system. I wanted
    UBS because it was a bit cheaper and a demonstration to Telecom.

    But Orcon's slackness (see 1,2 above) starts me thinking I might as well
    pay the devil and be damned with 2mbit, than pay for 600ms+ pings, faulty
    news servers, 60min help desk waits, and sub-dialup speeds.

    If the commerce commission will force Telecom to provide the 2mbit
    wholesale AND will punish them for the current games re UBS, I might then
    switch to the wholesale system. But not until I KNOW we won't have the
    current shit repeated.

    Yeah, I am sick and tired of it all, and the CC needs to know that Telecom
    is deliberately fucking the whole UBS scheme.

    Well, early days yet: I'll see what orcon's UBS looks like in a few days
    before I make any decisions.

    But I did have a few days of the 2mbit system and it was really nice.
    200kbytes/sec... I reckon Telecom did it deliberately... Still, 200k/sec...

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Surely where there's smoke there's fire? No, where there's so much smoke there's smoke." -- John A. Wheeler

    Note: All my comments are copyright 13/11/2004 8:48:24 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 13, 2004
  12. Chris Mayhew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > -[Myth]- wrote:

    >>> Ok, I get the idea. Orcon are having problems. Other people are
    >>> having problems too. Orcon are doing their best, they don't *want*
    >>> to loose customers (or maybe they do...) so leave them alone until
    >>> this settles down.

    >> I dont mean stop ringing them etc, i mean stop attacking them etc in
    >> here.

    > I didn't realize I was attacking them. My purpose in making the post
    > was to "report" information I had, which might be of use to someone
    > else if they were having a problem - it would save them ringing Orcon
    > if they felt they needed to find out what was wrong.
    >
    > If the problem is, that people can't get into Orcon, then the problem
    > is most likely with Telecom i.e from my router through the Telecom
    > network to Orcon. Pointing this out is hardly attacking Orcon, if
    > anything, it high lights the way Telecom is screwing the ISP's
    >
    > Well, that was the way it was intended, how you take it is up to you,
    > besides, who are you, to tell me what to do :)

    I appreciate seeing your post, it corroborates what I've been seeing and
    confirms what I'd already thought, that it isn't my hardware or
    configuration. I'll give Orcon that, they don't straight away assume it's a
    problem at your end like Xtra did. It may take me longer to get through to
    Orcon (a *lot* longer) but when I do they take my word for the fact that my
    gear/settings are fine. With Xtra I always had to spend 10-15 minutes
    convincing the 'droid that I had everything set up correctly. *And* Orcon
    admit there are problems when there are. In the six + years I was with Xtra
    they never once admitted that a problem was at their end.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2004
  13. Re: Orcon UBS Slowdown (and no, I'm not foaming at the mouth, MrCollector)

    Brendan said the following on 14/11/2004 02:01:
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:34:13 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >>My speed is now back up to 129kbps but the latency is very high - 600ms+
    >>to get to Orcon and, as a result, things are timing out - thats what I
    >>was meaning as an outage

    > I am finding the exact same problem, and I believe most people are also.
    >
    > I find it totally disgusting, and am unsure of who to blame - Orcon or
    > Telecom, though I suspect Telecom is the one. As always.
    >
    > I wonder if we should all gang together and make a combined complaint to
    > the Commerce Commission.
    >

    >>As far as the services page is concerned, i'd agree, except for the
    >>things you can set up your self, such as email addresses etc

    > Orcon is not blameless however:

    Nobody is blameless in this situation
    But the way Telecom is micromanaging the situation is becoming a problem

    > 1. There is no real excuse for the hour long + waits when on the phone to
    > them. They should hire a few more help desk monkeys.

    Never had more than a few minutes delay in getting answered and thats
    been over the last few days while dealing with my own issue with them.

    > 2. There is even LESS excuse for the continued and now TYPICAL ignoring of
    > email to them. It now seems that a lot of people are simply being ignored.

    Yes the email replies are slow if at all from the support/help
    addresses, but as a proven non rabid customer I actually have email
    addresses for the people that I need to contact and they respond well
    for me. (Not always with what I want to hear I might add)

    > The net result is no way to contact them.
    >
    > Regardless of wether it is Orcon or Telecom, I am now considering
    > alternative ISP's and possibly going to Telecom's 2mbit system. I wanted
    > UBS because it was a bit cheaper and a demonstration to Telecom.

    Thats a dam good reason to change and a good reason to be paitent while
    the situation settles and the issues with Telecoms micromanagement are
    sorted out. And they are being sorted but at high level and like mating
    elephants its is noisy and slow and results take time to show.

    > But Orcon's slackness (see 1,2 above) starts me thinking I might as well
    > pay the devil and be damned with 2mbit, than pay for 600ms+ pings, faulty
    > news servers, 60min help desk waits, and sub-dialup speeds.

    Because of the UBS situation even the increased staff that Orcon added
    in expectation of increased business have been overwelmed by the looks of it

    > If the commerce commission will force Telecom to provide the 2mbit
    > wholesale AND will punish them for the current games re UBS, I might then
    > switch to the wholesale system. But not until I KNOW we won't have the
    > current shit repeated.

    Early adopters will always get the shitty start to the service, I would
    either be paitent or wait till things settle and then jump

    > Yeah, I am sick and tired of it all, and the CC needs to know that Telecom
    > is deliberately fucking the whole UBS scheme.

    Trouble is the CC and other regulatory bodies take so long to achieve
    anything and by then Telecom have done the damage.

    > Well, early days yet: I'll see what orcon's UBS looks like in a few days
    > before I make any decisions.

    Few days, nah few weeks more like it

    > But I did have a few days of the 2mbit system and it was really nice.
    > 200kbytes/sec... I reckon Telecom did it deliberately... Still, 200k/sec...

    They keep changing the technical rules and ISPs (not just Orcon) are
    having a hard job keeping up with them

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 13, 2004
  14. Chris Mayhew

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:34:13 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >>My speed is now back up to 129kbps but the latency is very high - 600ms+
    >>to get to Orcon and, as a result, things are timing out - thats what I
    >>was meaning as an outage

    > I am finding the exact same problem, and I believe most people are also.
    >
    > I find it totally disgusting, and am unsure of who to blame - Orcon or
    > Telecom, though I suspect Telecom is the one. As always.
    >
    > I wonder if we should all gang together and make a combined complaint to
    > the Commerce Commission.
    >

    >>As far as the services page is concerned, i'd agree, except for the
    >>things you can set up your self, such as email addresses etc

    > Orcon is not blameless however:
    >
    > 1. There is no real excuse for the hour long + waits when on the phone to
    > them. They should hire a few more help desk monkeys.
    >
    > 2. There is even LESS excuse for the continued and now TYPICAL ignoring of
    > email to them. It now seems that a lot of people are simply being ignored.
    >
    > The net result is no way to contact them.
    >
    > Regardless of wether it is Orcon or Telecom, I am now considering
    > alternative ISP's and possibly going to Telecom's 2mbit system. I wanted
    > UBS because it was a bit cheaper and a demonstration to Telecom.
    >
    > But Orcon's slackness (see 1,2 above) starts me thinking I might as well
    > pay the devil and be damned with 2mbit, than pay for 600ms+ pings, faulty
    > news servers, 60min help desk waits, and sub-dialup speeds.
    >
    > If the commerce commission will force Telecom to provide the 2mbit
    > wholesale AND will punish them for the current games re UBS, I might then
    > switch to the wholesale system. But not until I KNOW we won't have the
    > current shit repeated.
    >
    > Yeah, I am sick and tired of it all, and the CC needs to know that Telecom
    > is deliberately fucking the whole UBS scheme.
    >
    > Well, early days yet: I'll see what orcon's UBS looks like in a few days
    > before I make any decisions.
    >
    > But I did have a few days of the 2mbit system and it was really nice.
    > 200kbytes/sec... I reckon Telecom did it deliberately... Still, 200k/sec...

    A couple of things to bear in mind

    1. You will now have to pay the churn fee
    2. Orcon appear to have changed the products they are offering - there
    seems to be no ISP component of the Jetsurf, i.e the $10 month ISP
    charge. From this I am assuming (right or wrong ?) that they plan to
    move everybody over to the UBS plan, the issue then is, if you get
    changed over at the beginning of your Telecom billing cycle and you
    haven't asked to change plans, who is liable to pay that months Telecom
    Jetsurf fee ? I have now found out, by searching for the information on
    the Orcon website that they don't offer the time based dial up product
    which will account for the reason why they wanted to close mine - they
    didn't tell me it was no longer being offered (promoted), they didn't
    offer an alternative, just wanted to close it. At the time I said I
    still wanted it, so I guess I'll have to wait and see on that.
    3. OK, 3 things. When the UBS first went live, I felt is was better
    than the Jetsurf, just my impression over the 4 hours I had it running.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004
  15. Chris Mayhew

    Mutlley Guest

    Richard <> wrote:

    >Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >Just tried it now on my UBS orcon and got
    >
    >Your Internet Connection Speed is:
    >
    >28.9 kb/s
    >
    >236.2 kbps
    >
    >Authough my torrent of S4E06 of enterprise wont move :(

    About 2KBs down and 5KBs up by any chance??

    Mutlley, Nov 14, 2004
  16. Chris Mayhew

    elsamo Guest

    Been on UBS since the 4th and I havent had any speed issues at all,
    fingers crossed it stays that way

    elsamo, Nov 14, 2004
  17. Chris Mayhew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Brendan said the following on 14/11/2004 02:01:
    >> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:34:13 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>

    >>> My speed is now back up to 129kbps but the latency is very high -
    >>> 600ms+ to get to Orcon and, as a result, things are timing out -
    >>> thats what I was meaning as an outage

    >> I am finding the exact same problem, and I believe most people are
    >> also.
    >>
    >> I find it totally disgusting, and am unsure of who to blame - Orcon
    >> or Telecom, though I suspect Telecom is the one. As always.
    >>
    >> I wonder if we should all gang together and make a combined
    >> complaint to the Commerce Commission.
    >>

    >>> As far as the services page is concerned, i'd agree, except for the
    >>> things you can set up your self, such as email addresses etc

    >> Orcon is not blameless however:

    > Nobody is blameless in this situation
    > But the way Telecom is micromanaging the situation is becoming a
    > problem
    >>
    >> 1. There is no real excuse for the hour long + waits when on the
    >> phone to them. They should hire a few more help desk monkeys.

    > Never had more than a few minutes delay in getting answered and thats
    > been over the last few days while dealing with my own issue with them.

    Then you've been *very* lucky. I've had occasion to call Orcon four times in
    the last week, the shortest wait was 45 minutes, the longest 90 minutes.
    Times like that I wish I had a speaker phone, wouldn't have this sore ear.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 14, 2004
  18. Chris Mayhew

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:49:36 +1300, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    >> But I did have a few days of the 2mbit system and it was really nice.
    >> 200kbytes/sec... I reckon Telecom did it deliberately... Still, 200k/sec...
    >>

    > A couple of things to bear in mind
    >
    > 1. You will now have to pay the churn fee

    Possibly. Another example of why telecom needs some of it's management
    threatended with jail terms and frozen bank accounts IMHO.

    > 2. Orcon appear to have changed the products they are offering - there
    > seems to be no ISP component of the Jetsurf, i.e the $10 month ISP
    > charge. From this I am assuming (right or wrong ?) that they plan to
    > move everybody over to the UBS plan, the issue then is, if you get
    > changed over at the beginning of your Telecom billing cycle and you
    > haven't asked to change plans, who is liable to pay that months Telecom
    > Jetsurf fee ? I have now found out, by searching for the information on
    > the Orcon website that they don't offer the time based dial up product
    > which will account for the reason why they wanted to close mine - they
    > didn't tell me it was no longer being offered (promoted), they didn't
    > offer an alternative, just wanted to close it. At the time I said I
    > still wanted it, so I guess I'll have to wait and see on that.

    Well, I'd ring them up to ask them but their utterly incompetent handling
    of the help desk (1 hour waits) and policy of ignoring emails makes it
    impossible. Couldn't even cancel my account. Totally unacceptible.

    I guess if I chose to leave I will simply instruct the bank to deny their
    authority to charge my account and go to another ISP. They don't really
    leave you a choice.

    > 3. OK, 3 things. When the UBS first went live, I felt is was better
    > than the Jetsurf, just my impression over the 4 hours I had it running.

    Seems to be a little more stable on performance, now that the 600+ pings
    are gone.

    I think Orcon has made a huge fucking mess of this, even after you deduct
    the assumed Telecom deliberate **** ups.

    I think Orcon has definitely tunred into another Xtra or Ihug - rapacious
    psychipathic profit only machines. If they will not even hire a few temps
    to man the phones....

    --

    .... Brendan

    "One is not superior merely because one sees the world as odious." -- Chateaubriand

    Note: All my comments are copyright 15/11/2004 1:07:04 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 15, 2004
  19. Chris Mayhew

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:23:08 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Then you've been *very* lucky. I've had occasion to call Orcon four times in
    > the last week, the shortest wait was 45 minutes, the longest 90 minutes.
    > Times like that I wish I had a speaker phone, wouldn't have this sore ear.

    And they are at risk of claims under the Consumer Gaurantee's Act. Their
    UBS has not been of merchantable quality, nor has their helpdesk.

    I think someone should send a press release to the AP etc on the subject...

    "Customers up in arms as Orcon imposes 60+ minute delays"

    "Commerce Commission investigates complaints against local internet
    Provider"

    "Orcon remains silent as customers go to Disputes Tribunals"

    Tell you what though: this silence out of orcon is working against them.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves." -- Abraham Lincoln

    Note: All my comments are copyright 15/11/2004 1:14:23 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 15, 2004
  20. Chris Mayhew

    mark Guest

    Re: Orcon UBS Slowdown (and no, I'm not foaming at the mouth, MrCollector)

    Brendan <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:23:08 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Then you've been *very* lucky. I've had occasion to call Orcon four
    >> times in the last week, the shortest wait was 45 minutes, the longest
    >> 90 minutes. Times like that I wish I had a speaker phone, wouldn't
    >> have this sore ear.

    > And they are at risk of claims under the Consumer Gaurantee's Act.
    > Their UBS has not been of merchantable quality, nor has their
    > helpdesk.
    >
    > I think someone should send a press release to the AP etc on the
    > subject...
    >
    > "Customers up in arms as Orcon imposes 60+ minute delays"
    >
    > "Commerce Commission investigates complaints against local internet
    > Provider"
    >
    > "Orcon remains silent as customers go to Disputes Tribunals"
    >
    > Tell you what though: this silence out of orcon is working against
    > them.

    The shear sloppiness of their PR makes me wonder if they are trying to do a
    Net4u. I'm one of the many people that has almost given up on Orcon as
    well. If they AT LEAST kept people informed they might have a few less rats
    leaving the ship.

    mark, Nov 15, 2004