Orcon UBS, performance of late.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
    right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
    advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
    using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

    Just though I'd mention it in the interests of fairness as I'm quick enough
    to complain if it's not working.

    Oh bloody hell!!!!!

    I just got an error message pop up from the last reply I tried to post. I
    knew I should have shut up:

    :Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: [OT] Traffic
    rules changes', Account: 'news.orcon.net.nz', Server: 'news.orcon.net.nz',
    Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
    Total Privacy via Encryption =----', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Error
    Number: 0x800CCCA9:

    So I'm not sure if this will get through, or when.

    Bugger!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2005

  2. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > So I'm not sure if this will get through, or when.

    yep, it got through, although your last post got posted twice.

    and it's back.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 1, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon, or maybe
    bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee, but im sure you
    could argue that the speed they are offering does not match the speed they
    are giving you, which in effect is false advertising and could also argue
    that they have mis-represented them selves and therefore the $99 fee should
    not apply :)

    Just thought i'd put my 2cents in, even if its worth nothing :p

    Krazy Bob, Mar 1, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    Bottle Boy Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close
    > right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
    > advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they
    > are
    > using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

    Hmm ... appears to be working pretty well for me as well ...

    Bottle Boy, Mar 1, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon,
    > or maybe bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee,
    > but im sure you could argue that the speed they are offering does not
    > match the speed they are giving you, which in effect is false
    > advertising and could also argue that they have mis-represented them
    > selves and therefore the $99 fee should not apply :)
    >
    > Just thought i'd put my 2cents in, even if its worth nothing :p

    Hey, it's worth 2 cents. :) However, no matter what I say I doubt I could
    get out of the churn fee without a lawyer.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> So I'm not sure if this will get through, or when.

    > yep, it got through, although your last post got posted twice.

    So it did, I didn't post it twice myself, must be newsfeeds.

    >> News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    >> World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
    >> Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    > and it's back.

    Yeah, I know. I hope Orcon is getting this service free with the advertising
    going out with every post.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Yep, Orcon might be on the mend

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
    > right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
    > advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
    > using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

    I've seen similar in the last 2 days. Download speeds consistently
    hovering around 30-34kB/s, online gaming pings now mostly 2-digit
    (albeit with occasional 999 spikes).

    Well done, Orcon. Hope it continues.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Mar 2, 2005
  8. ~misfit~

    Starkey Guest

    Re: Yep, Orcon might be on the mend

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:30:21 +1300, Evil Bastard <>
    wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
    >> right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
    >> advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
    >> using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

    >I've seen similar in the last 2 days. Download speeds consistently
    >hovering around 30-34kB/s, online gaming pings now mostly 2-digit
    >(albeit with occasional 999 spikes).
    >
    >Well done, Orcon. Hope it continues.
    >
    >--
    >Cheers
    >EB

    to late i already ditched them for telecom 2mbit great dload speeds
    and now i can play wow with a 200ping instead of 2000ping
    ill stand by my words screw orcon, to little to late

    Starkey, Mar 2, 2005
  9. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 03:33:50 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
    > right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
    > advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
    > using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.
    >
    > Just though I'd mention it in the interests of fairness as I'm quick enough
    > to complain if it's not working.

    misfit, and other gentle folks. Orcon is going thru what I have seen so
    many times on this ng.

    HEY PEOPLE, they are great better than the pull thrus

    Well, iam am not so sure.

    THEY ARE FH!

    Yes they are no good I am churning them.

    Ah they seem to be coming right. AT LAST!

    The scanners report that the word They, as in ISP, are no longer being
    picked up.

    There is a Japanese proverb which says, Say in the same place, and the sun
    will once again rise and shine down upon your head.

    Man, as including woman, is part of nature. Just look how she goes thru
    cycles.

    Read, open your memory.

    Have a nice day, as in 24 hrs ;-)

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2005
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:45:58 +1300, Starkey wrote:

    > o late i already ditched them for telecom 2mbit great dload speeds
    > and now i can play wow with a 200ping instead of 2000ping
    > ill stand by my words screw orcon, to little to late

    For some, how is the fire?

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:10:20 +1300, wrote:

    > Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon, or maybe
    > bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee, but im sure you
    > could argue that the speed they are offering does not match the speed they
    > are giving you, which in effect is false advertising and could also argue
    > that they have mis-represented them selves and therefore the $99 fee should
    > not apply :)

    Man, are you a lawyer?

    You have commas, good. Try a few periods, as the people of the U.S of A
    would say. Periods being full stops to us Kiwis.

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2005
  12. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:14:25 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Yeah, I know. I hope Orcon is getting this service free with the advertising
    > going out with every post.

    So, do we as customers care? Sure we do, competition is good for us, we
    need to encourage it.

    Let it roll.

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    Drudge Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:31:12 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > Yes they are no good I am churning them.
    >
    > Ah they seem to be coming right. AT LAST!
    >
    > The scanners report that the word They, as in ISP, are no longer being
    > picked up.
    >
    > There is a Japanese proverb which says, Say in the same place, and the sun
    > will once again rise and shine down upon your head.
    >
    > Man, as including woman, is part of nature. Just look how she goes thru
    > cycles.
    >
    > Read, open your memory.
    >
    > Have a nice day, as in 24 hrs ;-)

    That pot sure makes you babble..

    Drudge, Mar 2, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Drudge wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:31:12 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >

    >> Yes they are no good I am churning them.
    >>
    >> Ah they seem to be coming right. AT LAST!
    >>
    >> The scanners report that the word They, as in ISP, are no longer
    >> being picked up.
    >>
    >> There is a Japanese proverb which says, Say in the same place, and
    >> the sun will once again rise and shine down upon your head.
    >>
    >> Man, as including woman, is part of nature. Just look how she goes
    >> thru cycles.
    >>
    >> Read, open your memory.
    >>
    >> Have a nice day, as in 24 hrs ;-)

    > That pot sure makes you babble..

    LOL!! Seriously! A really good crack up LOL. Thanks. I was wondering what to
    say to that post.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:10:20 +1300, wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon,
    >> or maybe bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee,
    >> but im sure you could argue that the speed they are offering does
    >> not match the speed they are giving you, which in effect is false
    >> advertising and could also argue that they have mis-represented them
    >> selves and therefore the $99 fee should not apply :)
    >>

    > Man, are you a lawyer?

    No, however his father is. (I know him well, built his PC for him)

    > You have commas, good. Try a few periods, as the people of the U.S of
    > A would say. Periods being full stops to us Kiwis.

    Yeah, I don't know what they teach them at school these days. <shakes head>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:30:21 +1300, Evil Bastard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something
    >>> close to right. My download speed has improved (although still not
    >>> as fast as it is advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the
    >>> NNTP server that they are using seems to be posting and fetching
    >>> posts OK.

    >> I've seen similar in the last 2 days. Download speeds consistently
    >> hovering around 30-34kB/s, online gaming pings now mostly 2-digit
    >> (albeit with occasional 999 spikes).
    >>
    >> Well done, Orcon. Hope it continues.
    >>

    > to late i already ditched them for telecom 2mbit great dload speeds
    > and now i can play wow with a 200ping instead of 2000ping
    > ill stand by my words screw orcon, to little to late

    I can't say I blame you. If I had the churn fee I would have bailed about
    two weeks ago. If it gets as bad again I will bail for sure.

    I have been having problems with their newservice not wanting my posts,
    sometimes I can't post until the morning. Makes my input into a thread a
    little out-of-sync.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2005
  17. ~misfit~

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:31:12 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > HEY PEOPLE, they are great better than the pull thrus
    >
    > Well, iam am not so sure.
    >
    > THEY ARE FH!
    >
    > Yes they are no good I am churning them.
    >
    > Ah they seem to be coming right. AT LAST!
    >
    > The scanners report that the word They, as in ISP, are no longer being
    > picked up.
    >
    > There is a Japanese proverb which says, Say in the same place, and the sun
    > will once again rise and shine down upon your head.
    >
    > Man, as including woman, is part of nature. Just look how she goes thru
    > cycles.
    >
    > Read, open your memory.
    >
    > Have a nice day, as in 24 hrs ;-)

    I feel shortchanged! Hard done by even. There was no anthropomorphic
    penguin reference in that stream of random bollox.

    Don't Orcon use Linux or something?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 2, 2005
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    <snip the whole damn lot>

    Ok, Orcon's just dropped in my favour. I posted in this thread ages ago
    (seven hours-ish) and it's not showing up.

    Grrrrr.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2005
  19. ~misfit~

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    ><snip the whole damn lot>
    >
    > Ok, Orcon's just dropped in my favour. I posted in this thread ages
    > ago (seven hours-ish) and it's not showing up.
    >
    > Grrrrr.

    You say Orcon, but I don't see the problem as being with Orcon generally as
    an ISP. I think you are referring specifically to the Orcon Usenet service
    (i.e. newsgroups) which is a complete waste of time.

    For me it is a bit easier because I also download binaries from newsgroups
    and it is a no-brainer to realise that all ISPs are providing free
    newsgroups that are complete rubbish for binaries.

    If you use your ISP just to connect you to the internet then Orcon is
    mostly OK now. I get good speed for HTTP, FTP, NNTP, SMTP and POP, so I am
    happy. Even my flatmate that uses file sharing (through a torrent of some
    sort) says that the speed is reasonable, though not up to full speed at the
    moment.

    Misfit, you might think about wording your posts better as you have posted
    under the heading of Orcon UBS performance, but your post seems to be only
    referring to the Orcon newsgroups performance. (feel free to correct me if
    I am wrong)

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)

    MarkH, Mar 2, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> <snip the whole damn lot>
    >>
    >> Ok, Orcon's just dropped in my favour. I posted in this thread ages
    >> ago (seven hours-ish) and it's not showing up.
    >>
    >> Grrrrr.

    > You say Orcon, but I don't see the problem as being with Orcon
    > generally as an ISP. I think you are referring specifically to the
    > Orcon Usenet service (i.e. newsgroups) which is a complete waste of
    > time.
    >
    > For me it is a bit easier because I also download binaries from
    > newsgroups and it is a no-brainer to realise that all ISPs are
    > providing free newsgroups that are complete rubbish for binaries.
    >
    > If you use your ISP just to connect you to the internet then Orcon is
    > mostly OK now. I get good speed for HTTP, FTP, NNTP, SMTP and POP,
    > so I am happy. Even my flatmate that uses file sharing (through a
    > torrent of some sort) says that the speed is reasonable, though not
    > up to full speed at the moment.
    >
    > Misfit, you might think about wording your posts better as you have
    > posted under the heading of Orcon UBS performance, but your post
    > seems to be only referring to the Orcon newsgroups performance. (feel
    > free to correct me if I am wrong)

    Ok, I'll correct you. :)

    My original post in this thread was mainly concerned with download speed and
    latency. I added a comment about the news server almost as an afterthought.

    However, the thread meandered slightly off-track, as they do, hence the
    comment you quoted was then relevant to the conversation. It was more a
    venting of frustration at the post not going through, the thread wasn't
    started to make the above comment.

    Also, although it's not UBS related, I spent quite a few months getting
    opinions on Orcon's newserver here before moving from Xtra as I can't afford
    a seperate subscription to a news server. I got assurabces from both Craig
    and Seeby from orcon that they were fixing their news service "soon"
    whenever there was a problem. Just before I decided to sign up Craig
    actually said they were in the process of setting up a new server for
    newsgroups. It was largely on the strength of those comments that I signed
    up for Orcon's product.

    Alright?
    --
    ~misfit~