    MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.

    Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan

    Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    Richard, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Richard

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <>
    exclaimed:

    >55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
    >
    >Web pages loading like I am on dialup
    >
    >MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
    >
    >Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
    >

    >Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.

    I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
    comparison.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 10, 2006

  3. Richard

    Deck Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
    >>
    >>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
    >>
    >>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
    >>
    >>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
    >>

    >>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    > Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
    >
    > I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
    > comparison.

    because of the disconnection fee

    Deck, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
    >>
    >>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
    >>
    >>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
    >>
    >>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
    >>

    >>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    > Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
    >
    > I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
    > comparison.

    Because its not mine.

    Disconnection fee isnt a worry because its not of merchantable quality with
    performance like that

    Same torrent now is getting 4 times the speed off half the peers

    Richard, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Richard

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:33:41 +1200, "Deck" <> exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
    >>>
    >>>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
    >>>
    >>>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
    >>>
    >>>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
    >>>

    >>>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    >> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
    >>
    >> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
    >> comparison.

    >because of the disconnection fee

    Tell them to get stuffed. I know of a bunch of people who told them
    they weren't paying it, as they were not delivering the service they
    were advertising.

    None have had to pay it as yet.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 11, 2006
  6. Richard

    Torrential Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:23:36 +1200, Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:33:41 +1200, "Deck" <> exclaimed:
    >

    >>"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
    >>>
    >>> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
    >>> comparison.

    >>because of the disconnection fee
    >>

    >Tell them to get stuffed. I know of a bunch of people who told them
    >they weren't paying it, as they were not delivering the service they
    >were advertising.

    better still, take them to small claim tribunal
    give Orcon ISP of the year !

    Torrential, Apr 11, 2006
  7. Richard

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
    >>
    >>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
    >>
    >>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
    >>
    >>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
    >>

    >>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    > Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
    >
    > I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
    > comparison.

    I checked Ihug's new pricing and didn't like what I saw. On their
    "extreme" plan the total available is 60GB, but you have to manage your
    downloading to keep 2/3 of it in the 1/3 of the day they define as offpeak.
    You also get charged $5 per GB for overage - it is a bit rich to claim that
    their is no comparison between Orcon and Ihug when Orcon will let you have
    more data for $2/GB and Ihug charges $5/GB.

    I am going with Orcon's "Advanced 60" plan at the moment, but will consider
    changing to a different ISP with a better deal on fast internet with 60+ GB
    per month.

    I want broadband, which means 3.5M/512K. All the other plans are only half
    minimum broadband speed on the upload side.

    Currently the only ISPs that I have seen better prices than Orcon's from
    are Worldnet and Slingshot. I want to hear from the people using their
    3.5/512 plans before I change though.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 11, 2006
  8. Richard

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 03:09:35 GMT, MarkH <>
    exclaimed:

    >>>55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
    >>>
    >>>Web pages loading like I am on dialup
    >>>
    >>>MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
    >>>
    >>>Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
    >>>

    >>>Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    >> Why are you still with them? Nobody else is.
    >>
    >> I changed to Ihug, and I've never looked back. There really is no
    >> comparison.

    >I checked Ihug's new pricing and didn't like what I saw. On their
    >"extreme" plan the total available is 60GB, but you have to manage your
    >downloading to keep 2/3 of it in the 1/3 of the day they define as offpeak.
    >You also get charged $5 per GB for overage - it is a bit rich to claim that
    >their is no comparison between Orcon and Ihug when Orcon will let you have
    >more data for $2/GB and Ihug charges $5/GB.
    >
    >I am going with Orcon's "Advanced 60" plan at the moment, but will consider
    >changing to a different ISP with a better deal on fast internet with 60+ GB
    >per month.
    >
    >I want broadband, which means 3.5M/512K. All the other plans are only half
    >minimum broadband speed on the upload side.
    >
    >Currently the only ISPs that I have seen better prices than Orcon's from
    >are Worldnet and Slingshot. I want to hear from the people using their
    >3.5/512 plans before I change though.

    One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.

    It's NOT all about price.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 11, 2006
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.
    >
    > It's NOT all about price.

    But we are not getting what we pay for, which is at the moment a 2 megabit
    internet connection with traffic charged at $10 per 10 gigs, soon its changing
    for the worse, but still, we will not be getting what is paid for.

    I expect a reasonable certainty that when asked, the connection will deliver the
    quoted speed, sure, it may fail to deliver it sometimes.

    What I am seeing from orcon at the moment is certainty that I will _not_ get
    these speeds unless its the middle of the night. This is unacceptable.

    Richard, Apr 11, 2006
  10. Richard

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:15:06 +1200, Richard <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.
    >>
    >> It's NOT all about price.

    >But we are not getting what we pay for, which is at the moment a 2 megabit
    >internet connection with traffic charged at $10 per 10 gigs, soon its changing
    >for the worse, but still, we will not be getting what is paid for.
    >
    >I expect a reasonable certainty that when asked, the connection will deliver the
    >quoted speed, sure, it may fail to deliver it sometimes.
    >
    >What I am seeing from orcon at the moment is certainty that I will _not_ get
    >these speeds unless its the middle of the night. This is unacceptable.

    Sorry, I probably didn't put my point across very well. I wasn't
    supporting Orcon - far from it. I know their service is crap - I
    changed from them a couple of months ago.

    I was more talking about the cheapies - Quicksilver, Slingshot,
    Worldnet, etc.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 11, 2006
  11. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Sorry, I probably didn't put my point across very well. I wasn't
    > supporting Orcon - far from it. I know their service is crap - I
    > changed from them a couple of months ago.
    >
    > I was more talking about the cheapies - Quicksilver, Slingshot,
    > Worldnet, etc.

    Just plugged the woosh in , I figure that $30 a month for 64k flatrate
    (effectivly since the cap will be gone in an hour) is the cheapest form of
    internet access

    As its not hit the cap its at 250k, and the torrent that was struggling to hit
    5k on orcon ubs now is at about 14 and not bursting like it was on orcon...

    Richard, Apr 11, 2006
  12. Richard

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:11:53 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > 55 seeds, 13 peers, 28 kB/sec
    >
    > Web pages loading like I am on dialup
    >
    > MSN disconnected 4 times this evening.
    >
    > Faster.... No, may as well still be on the 256k plan
    >

    > Cheaper..... No, twice the cost of before.

    Exactly.

    Got an email from them the other day. I'm being told I am to go onto
    'surfer lite' - 2mbps, 128k up, 4 GB cap. $50.

    Yes, that is right: a *4* GB cap. For the same money as I currently pay for
    a 11GB cap.

    None of there other offerings are any good either.

    FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

    This is a guy who regularly hits 20, 30 GB/month. And pays extra for it.

    Now if I want extra, I pay TWICE as much: $10 per 5 GB. Used to be 10GB.

    So I'm off. I've already signed up with another ISP, just waiting for it to
    finalise.

    Anyone got a list of ISP's that are better than orcon ? Incase I do not
    like the current on I signed up to.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Phone answering machine message -
    "...If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key..."

    Note: All my comments are copyright 10/04/2006 11:22:28 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 11, 2006
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > Anyone got a list of ISP's that are better than orcon ? Incase I do not
    > like the current on I signed up to.

    Go to yellowpages.co.nz and type in internet. Theres your list of better then orcon.

    Hell, woosh is outperforming orcon here on torrents at the moment. Will see how
    it goes if/when the slowdown kicks in.

    Richard, Apr 11, 2006
  14. Richard

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 03:09:35 GMT, MarkH <>
    > exclaimed:
    >>>

    >>Currently the only ISPs that I have seen better prices than Orcon's
    >>from are Worldnet and Slingshot. I want to hear from the people using
    >>their 3.5/512 plans before I change though.

    > One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.
    >
    > It's NOT all about price.

    Are you saying that the service from Slingshot is no good? From what basis
    are you suggesting such a thing? If they are as good or better in their
    speeds than Orcon then I will be changing ISPs! If the performance is
    alright then $160/month for 110GB/month at 3.5M/512k is totally worth it.
    Hell, even if the download speed is only half of the 3.5M most of the time
    then it would still be totally worth it.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 11, 2006
  15. Richard

    Struan Judd Guest

    Hello Richard,

    R> Brendan wrote:
    R>
    >> Anyone got a list of ISP's that are better than orcon ? Incase I do
    >> not like the current on I signed up to.
    >>

    R> Go to yellowpages.co.nz and type in internet. Theres your list of
    R> better then orcon.
    R>
    R> Hell, woosh is outperforming orcon here on torrents at the moment.
    R> Will see how it goes if/when the slowdown kicks in.

    I have a simple requirement for a new ISP. A Free Static IP.

    Who else other than Orcon wil provide that?

    TTFN

    Struan Judd, Apr 11, 2006
  16. Richard

    Zonky Guest

    Struan Judd <> wrote in

    > I have a simple requirement for a new ISP. A Free Static IP.
    >
    > Who else other than Orcon wil provide that?

    Ihug does, AFAIK.

    Z.

    --
    Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

    BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
    http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

    Zonky, Apr 11, 2006
  17. Richard

    Struan Judd Guest

    Hello Zonky,

    Z> Struan Judd <> wrote in
    Z>
    >> I have a simple requirement for a new ISP. A Free Static IP.
    >>
    >> Who else other than Orcon wil provide that?
    >>

    Z> Ihug does, AFAIK.
    Z>
    Z> Z.
    Z>
    Z> BOYCOTT MIDAS NZ FOR PLACING ADVERTS DURING LIVE F1 on SKY SPORTS!
    Z> http://boycottmidas.blogspot.com/

    when I asked, it was going to be $20 / month (or was it $10, one of iHug
    or Slingshot was $20 and the other $10),

    So no.

    TTFN

    Struan Judd, Apr 12, 2006
  18. Richard

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:05:21 GMT, MarkH <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 03:09:35 GMT, MarkH <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>>>
    >>>Currently the only ISPs that I have seen better prices than Orcon's
    >>>from are Worldnet and Slingshot. I want to hear from the people using
    >>>their 3.5/512 plans before I change though.

    >> One day people will learn that you get what you pay for.
    >>
    >> It's NOT all about price.

    >Are you saying that the service from Slingshot is no good? From what basis
    >are you suggesting such a thing? If they are as good or better in their
    >speeds than Orcon then I will be changing ISPs! If the performance is
    >alright then $160/month for 110GB/month at 3.5M/512k is totally worth it.
    >Hell, even if the download speed is only half of the 3.5M most of the time
    >then it would still be totally worth it.

    Slingshot, and their Indian telemarketing company?

    I know of two people who received disappointing connection performance
    from them. Problem is, they probably save to much bread in their own
    networks to provide a comparable service.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 12, 2006
  19. Richard

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:59:57 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone got a list of ISP's that are better than orcon ? Incase I do not
    >> like the current on I signed up to.

    > Go to yellowpages.co.nz and type in internet. Theres your list of better then orcon.
    >
    > Hell, woosh is outperforming orcon here on torrents at the moment. Will see how
    > it goes if/when the slowdown kicks in.

    ta. lol.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #180081 +(4346)- [X]

    <kylev> BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    <kylev> hahahahaha
    <kylev> some girl just came onto our floor
    <kylev> and was yelling "sexual favors for anyone who does my sociology
    paper"
    <kylev> i just asked her what the paper was about
    <kylev> and she said the accomplishments and growth of feminism
    <`Neo> bahahahaha

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/04/2006 11:15:48 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 12, 2006
  20. Richard

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > Slingshot, and their Indian telemarketing company?
    >
    > I know of two people who received disappointing connection performance
    > from them. Problem is, they probably save to much bread in their own
    > networks to provide a comparable service.

    I don't care about their marketing or historical speeds. What I want to
    know about is the performance on the new 3.5/512 plans, hopefully over the
    next couple of months we will here from some Slingshot users about how it
    is going. I like to be open minded, with all the changes going on Telecom
    could make things better - though they are MUCH more likely to make things
    worse.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade